Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flatbed project

New guy here -
    I live in NC and paint new houses for a living.
    My quality time is spent building and riding 'Harley type'
    motorcycles (and shooting .45 pistols but we won't go into that).
    I've been using a 85 amp mig to weld brackets and small stuff but I just ordered a new Lincoln 175pro TIG, big step up for me.
    I'm here to learn and get ideas.

I bought a '76 Chevy 1/2 T pickup.
    Nice truck but the bed is rusted thru - big time !
    I'm considering pulling the bed off and making it into a flat bed.
    Anybody out there with experience doing this ?
    Is there a site maybe that will guide me, warn me of the pitfalls ?

Welcome Aboard!

Hope you have alot of fun and post lots of pictures!

I just weld little stuff.
    It's not an optical illusion...it just looks like one

Comment

CHUCK U&R........... WELCOME ABOARD, ON THE OLD SITE I TALKED ABOUT RESTOREING AN OLD 1950 FLAT BED 1 TON THAT WAS A BLAST.........HOWEVER I DID NOT REPLACE THE BED JUST REDUCED IT IN SIZE AND INSTALLED SOME NEW OAK FLOOR BOARDS. I TOOK MY GRANDKIDS TO PARADES IN IT AND THEY LOVED IT..........WHAT A HOOT THAT WAS...........I'LL LOOK AROUND FOR BEDS ON THE INTERNET FOR YOU. THERE AREA TON OF THEM SELLING THEM OUT THERE.............HAVE FUN..........ROCK
      [email protected]

Comment

Flatbed

Thanx for the response.
        Do you have a pic of the bed framework after you stripped off the old wood ?
        That would give me some idea of the support structure I'll need to build.

Comment

SORRY CHUCK U&R......... I'VE ONLY LOADED A FEW I TRY TO LET EVERYONE ELSE CHIME IN AND SHOW THEIR PROJECTS. THIS IS A FAIRER WAY OF DOING IT...........AFTER ALL I WORK HERE AND GET PAID TO DO THIS.............................OTHERS WILL CHIME IN AND HELP.......................ROCK
          [email protected]

Comment

Hi Chuck

Here is a link to a company that has all kind of plans. I am not sure how good they are but you can check it out. You must have a truck that is a transplant from the north. Good luck with your project.

http://www.tufindustries.com/index.htm
            bitternut

Comment

Chuck,

I think I have a welding project book with a flat bed article or maybe it was a welding bed article... I can look to nite and let you know... xerox and a fax # and you're in bid'ness..

john
              My "project truck" has turned into 'garage art' !!!

Comment

Plans

Thanx - I'd like to see em.
                Be happy to cover the costs of copying and postage.

Comment

Hi Chuck

You might slip around someplace in your area that sells flatbeds and look around and under take a few measurements. After that you should be able to build it without any trouble.

My last project was a 2,750 gal. water tank that I put on a Mack truck for our voulenteer fire dept. Worked out well and is still in service after 5 years with no problems, wish I had a digital camera I'd post some pictures.

Good luck and try anything once. (almost)
                  Trailblazer 302
                  Hobart Stickmate AC/DC
                  Lincoln SP 130 T
                  Smith torch

Comment

Chuck,

Check out some of the 4x4 and off road web sites, removing the bed and replacing with a flat bed is a common "modification" in the world of rock crawling. goes from mild to wild.

Maybe get some ideas and such.

Pirate 4x4 is one site that covers many makes of trucks.

What part of NC are you from ?

Kevin
                    [email protected]

Comment

Hi
                      To build a flat bed is not a hard task, helped a friend make a dump bed on a 67 3/4 ton chev awhile back and it turned out perty good.
                      After you get the box off and all the brackets that go with it so just the bare frame is there, put some flat iron parallal with the frame members and take some mesurements where the frame drops off the hump for the rear axel. What we did is make up open boxes to take up the spaces and weld them to the frame. Then the flat iron was welded to the boxes and the frame, this makes a good solid base for the flat bed. Next, we took some 3" chanel and laid it on edge and started to make a grid work for the bed. Laid out a cross work of channel and had side rails. put a deck on and you are done. We used 1/8 plate for the deck. The grid work was welded together but bolted to the flat iron. Hope this gives you some ideas.
                      If I had it to do all over again, I would have bought more tools

Comment

flat bed plans

Chuck...

I need a name/address or even better a fax number and I'll send what i have... finally got back in town and had time to find the plans...

john
                        My "project truck" has turned into 'garage art' !!!

Comment

Re: Flatbed project

Originally posted by Chuck U&R
                          New guy here -
                          I live in NC and paint new houses for a living.
                          My quality time is spent building and riding 'Harley type'
                          motorcycles (and shooting .45 pistols but we won't go into that).
                          I've been using a 85 amp mig to weld brackets and small stuff but I just ordered a new Lincoln 175pro TIG, big step up for me.
                          I'm here to learn and get ideas.

I bought a '76 Chevy 1/2 T pickup.
                          Nice truck but the bed is rusted thru - big time !
                          I'm considering pulling the bed off and making it into a flat bed.
                          Anybody out there with experience doing this ?
                          Is there a site maybe that will guide me, warn me of the pitfalls ?
                          Good one Chuck, I just got a truck bed/ trailer 69 model that has a rusted bed, and I plan on making it a flatbed.
                          ROCK

Comment

Here's something for you to look at.

http://www.thedieselstop.com/content...?DIY%20Flatbed

http://www.thedieselstop.com/content...Flatbed%20%232

http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/body/j10flatbed/
                            Last edited by dawgfan25; 01-21-2003, 09:12 PM.
                            You can make fool of an engineer but you cannot make an engineer from a fool!

Comment

jniolon - flatbed plans

Thanx for going the extra mile.
                              This is a friends FAX # - (910) 295-0536.
                              Address it to : Chuck Rannacher, House painter of the 'Rich & Famous'.

Comment

Working...
                              X