Building a core areator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a core areator

Hi guys. Looking for some input on what I am going to do about the core spoons for the 3 point hitch core areator I am going to build. I have all the other fabrication worked out except for coming up with how I am going to handle the core spoons. They need to be hard so they keep a sharpe edge and resist bending. The overal length needs to be about 6.5 inches. Any ideas of what I could use to make these up would be appreciated.

I need this for as soon as the weather warms up so I will be starting on it soon. Will, Aaron and I still need to get together to finish the rest of the band saw stands and then this project will begin. I have the axle and rotor fabrication pretty much worked out. These coreing spoons will bolt to the rotor assemlby.

Here is what I am going to pretty much have mine look like.
    http://www.gearmore.com/coraertr.pdf

Happy welding everyone.

Bob

PS...as always I will post the drawings and the progress of this as I get them finished. Should be a fun one.
    Last edited by deere_x475guy; 01-14-2003, 06:45 AM.
    Short Term Memory GONE!!
    Hobby Weldor/Machinist
    Photobucket Shop Pics

Bob,

How about pieces of schedule 80 black iron pipe. You could get the diameter that you desire and cut it to length. The edgescould be sharpened with a grinder. I don't think that you would have any problem with the pipe bending as long as you did it while the ground is still wet in the spring. Will you weld these on? I was thinking that maybe you would want to bolt them on for sharpening and replacement when needed. Let us know how you make out with it.
    Arbo & Thor (The Junkyard Dog)
    The Next Loud Noise You Hear Is Me!

Comment

I think I would fabricate everything but the spoons. They say they are bolt on so I am sure that is a part that needs replacing frequently. They probably sell them somewhere. What do the spoons look like? Are they roll formed like a roll pin would be or what? Frame made out of solid 1-1/2 bar stock? That ought to be rugged enough. I'm guessing that this contraption pulls a round plug out of the turf right or does it just punch a hole in the ground?
      bitternut

Comment

Originally posted by Arbo
        Bob,

How about pieces of schedule 80 black iron pipe. You could get the diameter that you desire and cut it to length. The edgescould be sharpened with a grinder. I don't think that you would have any problem with the pipe bending as long as you did it while the ground is still wet in the spring. Will you weld these on? I was thinking that maybe you would want to bolt them on for sharpening and replacement when needed. Let us know how you make out with it.
        Arbo, thanks. I was thinking about going this way. They will be bolted on.

Bob
        Short Term Memory GONE!!
        Hobby Weldor/Machinist
        Photobucket Shop Pics

Comment

Originally posted by bitternut
          I think I would fabricate everything but the spoons. They say they are bolt on so I am sure that is a part that needs replacing frequently. They probably sell them somewhere. What do the spoons look like? Are they roll formed like a roll pin would be or what? Frame made out of solid 1-1/2 bar stock? That ought to be rugged enough. I'm guessing that this contraption pulls a round plug out of the turf right or does it just punch a hole in the ground?
          Bitternut, I really wanted to make these myself so I can keep a supply of replacements on hand. Plus I enjoying doing things myself.

The spoons are generally nearly round with a slit at least a third the diameter cut most of the way up the lenght of the tube. Then a wider slit cut the rest of the way to the top to allow the core to be pushed out by the next core. The frame will be made out of 1 inch square by 1/8 inch tubing and spread steel will be used to cover the top and sides. Pretty much like the picture in the link I posted at the start of this thread. It will end up pulling a round plug out of the turf and laying it back on the lawn. It looks like a goose has pooped all over your lawn for a week or so afterward....
          Short Term Memory GONE!!
          Hobby Weldor/Machinist
          Photobucket Shop Pics

Comment

Bob,

I have also seen these set up with a dumping box that collects the plugs as you go. It never catches all of them, but it cleans up some of the mess left behind. Just a thought...
            Arbo & Thor (The Junkyard Dog)
            The Next Loud Noise You Hear Is Me!

Comment

Originally posted by Arbo
              Bob,

I have also seen these set up with a dumping box that collects the plugs as you go. It never catches all of them, but it cleans up some of the mess left behind. Just a thought...
              Yes Arbo I have seen this set up also. I prefer to leave them on the soil to add back to the nutrients. They totally disappear within a week or so. I have some poorly draining areas that is very heavy clay. I top dress the soil after coring with a mix of compost and top dressing. This will gradually over the years help to make the soil better.

I have pretty much worked out the spoon design and will post things as I make some progress. It's pretty dang cold up here right now and my garage is pretty cold at the moment. It's well insulated and the lighting usually helps to warm things enough to be a bearable high 30's to mid 40's but this cold snap has it in the twenties.......BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Bob
              Short Term Memory GONE!!
              Hobby Weldor/Machinist
              Photobucket Shop Pics

Comment

Aerator

Bob,

Great project!! I've always thought that a plug-type aerator is better than a spike-type. You have tackled quite a project. Keep the pics coming!

Some time ago I "wimped-out". The spoons made me nervous. I went with the spike-type. I knew I could do just plain round things.

I know this is the wrong color/brand of equipment, .........not 3-point hitch and ....not plug-type but can't resist showing my version.

I hope this doesn't contaminate your post.

It's BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR here too! Also starting to get white.

Dave
                "Some days you're the dog, some days you're the fire hydrant"

Comment

Aerator

In case you make something with a tongue that needs to pivot & swivel.........some ideas.

Dave

Comment

"Spoons"

Very interesting project. I have always wanted one of these but I have a problem with wanting something that is "overbuilt" rather than settling for buying some lightweight imported piece of junk.

Anyway, it seems to me that the spoons that I have seen have ben formed out of flat stock of some sort. I have not looked at a commercial model (such as at a golf course). Maybee they are different.

What about 3/4" inch square tube? It may be easyer (?) to modify that to get the plug to be ejected out of the top. What kind of projection are you thinking about?

My yard will require something rather heavy to produce adeqate penetration, are you planning on overbuilding this to build in the weight, or are you planning on adding removable weight?

I modified my 3 point grader blade to accept front weights from a tractor and it made a GREAT difference in performance.

Looking forward to pictures!!

Comment

Re: Aerator

Originally posted by Dave Haak
                      Bob,

Great project!! I've always thought that a plug-type aerator is better than a spike-type. You have tackled quite a project. Keep the pics coming!

Some time ago I "wimped-out". The spoons made me nervous. I went with the spike-type. I knew I could do just plain round things.

I know this is the wrong color/brand of equipment, .........not 3-point hitch and ....not plug-type but can't resist showing my version.

HAHA...HI Dave, I have seen those and used them. The core type is suppose to have more benefits. I have used the cheap one pull behinds before and was not very happy with them. Thats why I decided to build my own. The good ones that do the job are over $800.00 and I know I can build this for less that $200.00.

Color never made a difference to me in anything. I am not biased to deere at all. The dealer in our area for JD is very good. No real cub dealers around that I was happy with. I also looked at the Kabota which I thougth was one heck of a tractor.

I will keep everyone posted as the project comes along. I will also have cad design posted when its completed.

Thanks
                      Bob

Dave
                      Short Term Memory GONE!!
                      Hobby Weldor/Machinist
                      Photobucket Shop Pics

Comment

Re: "Spoons"

Originally posted by stranglehold
                        Very interesting project. I have always wanted one of these but I have a problem with wanting something that is "overbuilt" rather than settling for buying some lightweight imported piece of junk.

Anyway, it seems to me that the spoons that I have seen have ben formed out of flat stock of some sort. I have not looked at a commercial model (such as at a golf course). Maybee they are different.

What about 3/4" inch square tube? It may be easyer (?) to modify that to get the plug to be ejected out of the top. What kind of projection are you thinking about?

My yard will require something rather heavy to produce adeqate penetration, are you planning on overbuilding this to build in the weight, or are you planning on adding removable weight?

I modified my 3 point grader blade to accept front weights from a tractor and it made a GREAT difference in performance.

Looking forward to pictures!!
                        Strange Hold, It should come in close to 300# I image without weight. The top will be set up to add 5 gallon water contains or what ever for extra weight if needed. My tractor will handle 650# on the 3 point so I can always add extra if needed. This project is one that compelled me to get back into welding again. I knew I could by the mig set up and buy all the materials for building this and still come in cheaper than buying one already built. Plus have the satisfaction of building it myself. I prefer to build things myself when ever possible (everytime I look at something I have built I get a great big smile).

The next project will be a front bucket (simular to the johnyy bucket). The maybe up to a front end loader. Who knows.

Bob
                        Short Term Memory GONE!!
                        Hobby Weldor/Machinist
                        Photobucket Shop Pics

Comment

In case you make something with a tongue that needs to pivot & swivel.........some ideas.

Dave
                          Hmm...I like that. I am sure I will sooner or late have a need to use this also...thanks...

Bob
                          Short Term Memory GONE!!
                          Hobby Weldor/Machinist
                          Photobucket Shop Pics

Comment

Bob,

Dave, Did you build that front bucket? Or is it the Johnny Bucket. I am planing on building something like this later in the spring to hook up to my front hydrolics that the plow uses.

Bob
                            Dave
                            Short Term Memory GONE!!
                            Hobby Weldor/Machinist
                            Photobucket Shop Pics

Comment

THE BUCKET

Bob,

Yes I did.

It's obvious you know where I got the idea. I had not seen anything quite like it. I have e-mailed Mr. John Sheele a couple of times. When I completed the THE BUCKET...I.......... boldly sent him pics of it....not knowing exactly what to expect. He replied with compliments and a request for more pics showing it working. I was relieved! I later sent pics and info showing the "trip and reset from the seat" features (without using ropes) that I came up with (original, honest- my own design). I have not seen them posted on his site in the new ideas area. I posted several pics of it on this site several weeks ago. Let me know if you would like to see more detailed pics. It was a fun project.

Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X