4X6 Bandsaw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4X6 Bandsaw

I bought a small 4 by 6 inch horizontal/vertical bandsaw a number of years ago. There seem to be several similar versions of it available at TSC, tool stores, Jet, Harbor Freight, Northern Tool Etc. I bought mine at one of the traveling tool shows that come around once in a while. It has a sheet metal stand that is not very sturdy, no blade coolant, no cylinder to control the rate of cut, and a few other issues as well. The basic saw itself is not bad however. It makes straight cuts and has enough power.

A couple of weeks ago, someone posted a link to a web site that had plans to build a new base, coolant catch tray, pump, and feed control cylinder. So....I started this project a week ago, and thought I would post some progress photos. It is not complete yet (the weather is too cold right now to spend much time in the shop). It will be several weeks before it is warm enough to paint anything. I'll post progress photos and maybe dimensioned drawings when I'm done. aweaver and deerex475guy have been working with me on this....It would have been tough to make a square frame and bend the tray without their help. Thanks Guys!
    Last edited by Will; 01-13-2003, 03:57 PM.

This photo shows the start of the base assembly.
    Last edited by Will; 01-11-2003, 10:50 PM.

Comment

Base frame complete:

Comment

To make the tray, the sides of the 16 gauge sheet metal were bent up 60 degrees. This requires the corners to be cut out at 37 degrees. The length of the sides will be 3 inches...no coolant spashes.

Comment

None of us have a bender....so we do it the old fashioned way....brute strength.
          Last edited by Will; 01-11-2003, 10:51 PM.

Comment

This is the first bend completed.

Comment

Tray corner after bending two sides. The fit is pretty good given the lack of a bender.

Comment

All the sides bent, and the corners are ready to weld

Comment

One of the corner welds.

Comment

The welded tray on the frame.

Comment

The original cast iron saw base needs to be raised to clear the sides of the tray. This is the frame.

Comment

A couple of new cross members in the frame to match up with the saw base.

Comment

Wheels installed on one end of the base.

Comment

Feet on the other end of the base.

Comment

Saw base, tray and frame assembled.

Comment

Working...
                              X