Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i have a question...

I'm new to welding and i have a question:
    Is their any kind of united welders union, something to that effect as of the electrical workers brotherhood??
    I hope someone knows what i'm talkin' about, i'm kinda bad w/ words and stuff. Just curious thats all. I don't mean to sound stupid.~~LaTeR~~
    "My nose runs and my feet smell, you think it would be the other way around" ----Ralph Bean (welding teacher)

welders union

I don't know of a specific union for welders in this area (alabama) there are welders in the electricians union and the iron workers union and in the boilermakers... it's more of a craft that all unions need..

closest thing you'll probably find is Ironworkers local I would think

welcome aboard...

I'll warn you ... someone mentioned we're loosely knit... some of us have unraveled more than others...

don't worry about asking 'stupid' questions... there aren't any ! in fact I don't think you can ask something that hasn't been asked before... that's how you learn... and if you want to compete... I can probably ask a dumber question than you

everyone here is here to help any one who needs it...

john
    My "project truck" has turned into 'garage art' !!!

Comment

Yes there are welders unions....I belong to The International Union of Operating Engineers, now and before that, I was in the United Welders of America. I work in a closed shop where yo have to belong to a union. Some unions work different in that you work out a hall. Unions mainly insure that the worker has job security, and benefits. I think it is the chief reason why I have been working for the same company for 37 years.

Comment

Hey thanks for answering my question Rocky!
        When my welding classes are over and i'm a certified welder, can i join the United Welders of America?.. I hope so, that would be cool. ~~LaTeR~~
        "My nose runs and my feet smell, you think it would be the other way around" ----Ralph Bean (welding teacher)

Comment

Originally posted by welderpunk
          Hey thanks for answering my question Rocky!
          When my welding classes are over and i'm a certified welder, can i join the United Welders of America?.. I hope so, that would be cool. ~~LaTeR~~
          It would not have any real value to you unless you work in a company where the weldors are represented by that union. Maybe it would be cool, but that is about it... Rocky D alluded to the fact that even if your company is unionized you may not be represented by a Weldors' union. Where I work for example, the mechanics are represented by the Carpenter's Union.
          Bill C
          "The more I learn about welding the more I find there is to learn..."

Comment

How it works is like this...you get hired by the company...then...you join the union. Worry about gettiing hired first....no ...worry about getting certified first...then getting hired.
            Lots a practice will do it for you.

Comment

oh, ok. Hey thanks for clearing that up for me.
              I know it won't be a problem finding a job, we have so many R.V. and other munufacturing companies everywhere.
              If you can't find a job as a weldor in Elkhart Indiana....you need to open your eyes. Thanks guys~~

Comment

Working...
              X