Stand for Miata Hardtop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stand for Miata Hardtop

This is something I built for my Dad around 95 when I first got my Mig. It's a simple rack to hold the hardtop for his Miata.
    He just sold the car and the rack is going with it so he sent me some pics of it before it gets hauled off.

When he first got the car we realized we didn't have a clue what to do with the top when it was off the car during the summer.
    We didn't want to just set the top on the ground since it would crush the weatherstriping so hanging looked to be the best solution.

The Hardtop hooks onto 2 lugs when it's on the car so we chose to use the same idea to hang it.

The 2 bolts on the top cross bar are spaced the same as the mounting lugs on the Miata..

The T on the bottom bar props the top out from the inside so it won't swing when it's hanging. We added a little pipe insulation to protect the headliner.

At the time we built it nobody was making the little top carts they have now.
    I still don't like the carts they sell now because they touch the top on the finish painted surfaces.. The only contact points on this rack are the chrome mounts and the metal interior headliner thats painted semigloss black..
    Scott Schering
    http://www.pontiacs.org

PONTIAC..........BET IT WORKED GREAT...........IS THE INSULATION, OR FOAM RUBBER THE SAMETHING THEY PUT AROUND PIPES FOR INSULATION.............LOOKED LIKE IT BUT AM UNSURE......HOW MUCH DID THAT HARD TOP WEIGH.......HAD A 1966 CORVETTE WITH ONE HEAVY HARD TOP ON IT WHEN I WAS A LOT YOUNGER THAN I AM NOW..............WE SET IT ONTO A SQUARE ROLL AROUND TABLE WITH BLANKETS ON THE TOP OF THE TABLE........ WISH I HAD THOUGHT OF THIS WHEN I WAS 19 YEARS OLD.... WELL ACTUALLY WISH I HAD KEPT THE CORVETTE...........ROCK..
    [email protected]

Comment

The top is less than 100lbs..
      One person could lift it but it's kinda awkward so we always get 2 people to take it off and hang it up for the summer.

It could have been shorter but we wanted it higher so you wouldn't knock a car door or something into it.

Yes it is just pipe insulation..
      We used to make wing racks and stands from PVC and pipe insulation for the R/C airplanes so I knew it would work well (plus it was laying around the shop already anyway)

Cost was $5-10..
      Scott Schering
      http://www.pontiacs.org

Comment

Working...
      X