X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wmarden
    • Dec 2002

Weightlifting equipment

Anybody here make any gym equipment? That is one of the main reasons I got my welder so I was looking for any plans or even just ideas or advice. I would also like to know what I should be looking at price wise for some of the steel costs.

Most of the quality commercial stuff that uses tubing has 11 or 12 ga walls. What would 2 in square tubing run me in both gauges? I don't know if i would need it to be that heavy for all of the equipment, but certainly for I would want it for some of the more critical pieces. SO I guess what I am wondering is what some of the various tubing costs, any links would be appreciated. I am not quite sure what search terms to use or even what some good places are to look.

I have a few sketches of equipment plans that I have made but only one is in an electronic format. It is the grip machine below. It is only a rough sketch I quickly threw together.

I would consider making your joint like this for added strength,

Comment

• cope
      • Dec 2002

steel prices

I suspect that prices vary from region to region, just as wood prices do. Tell us where you are; maybe someone has a favorite supplier in the area.

Comment

• John Stuckey
        • Sep 2002

A favorite around the Dayton, Ohio area, as mentioned on this site before is First Street Recycling (937-223-7232). Some sample prices:
        new steel:
        10' 14ga 1" ST (square tube) $7.00
        10' 1/8" 1" ST $8.50
        10' 2" 1/8 2" ST $18.00
        10' 2" 1/4 2" ST $27.90

scrap/dropoffs/etc is .23 / lb. (got two 24X30 1/4 plates (100 lbs) for $23.00 the other day)

These prices will give you a reference point.

As for exercise equipment, I really like my Soloflex equipment. I thought about building a knockoff but decided that buying a used one was cheaper, faster and better than I could do. I did build a triceps bar for free weights. I have a freeweight stand design floatiing around in my head; so one of these days
        Please keep us posted on what you are doing - not many posts referencing exercise equipment.
        Take care,
        John

Comment

I got job to repair exercise machine sold by HSN. It is sort of knock-off of a totalgym only roller bed sets on 2 round tubes, has rubber cords to increase resistance and is lighter construction. The 2 round tubes were welded to larger tube that also had sockets for foot platform. Every time she pushed off and landed on foot platform doing kneebends it would creek loudly because 90% welds had torn out in haz around 2 tubes' welds to large tube.
          I drilled ends of cracks and welded cracks then welded in 2ea 1.5 inch bed frame angle pieces between tubes to form box reinforcement.

Comment

• Wmarden
            • Dec 2002

I live in Arkansas, northern arkansas to be more specific.

I know the joints would be better at an angle, but with my current equipment limitations(a hacksaw is it for cutting equipment) I can't really make the cuts. And it will be a couple of weeks out before I can get a chopsaw. I may just wait.

I have a couple of spare power racks I once got off of an ebay auction. I am thinking about converting one to Bench specific station. Cut the top off and then build a bench on the bottom. The rack right now is some of the sturdiest I have ever seen. They were obviously some custom work. Only problem is the hole spacing. But I have seen a way to fix it on the website below. Anyway the rack is 8 foot tall as it stands now, too tall really for the basement. I can make it fit, but I already have one for squats. I plan to cut off about 2 feet at the top and put in an adjustable bench. Problem is figuring out a sturdy enough way to adjust. I was thinking of either using a piece of threaded steel rod, but screwing it up and down would probably take too long. Another idea I had is to somehow adapt a boat trailer stand or maybe even a hydraulic jack. I may post some of the sketches later once I get them looking a little better. Or at least better thought out.

Comment

• manofsteel
              • Jan 2003

I just recently completed building a lat pulldown / tricep press machine. Works just great...I have very little money in this project. I utililized a old"L" shaped 7' street lamp post modified to suit with 2" sq. tubing for everthing else. The cable is 3/16" running on 3" pulleys. I designed my own slide that goes up and down along the post and works great. If you are interested further I can do a picture.

Comment

• cope
                • Dec 2002

manofsteel

Paul, is this you?

Alan

Comment

• Wmarden
                  • Dec 2002

I am interested in how you did the weight carrier. I have a lat machine, but I am working on another project or two(at least the idea stage) that use those.

Comment

• Wmarden
                    • Dec 2002

Another question or three

What kind of load can I put on 1 inch bolts? And 1 inch grade 8 bolts? What would it take to hold 1000 pounds?

Comment

• manofsteel
                      • Jan 2003

Re: manofsteel

Originally posted by cope
                      Paul, is this you?

Alan
                      Sorry Cope...this is Walt, I'm new to this site so I hope I did not infringe on someone elses name. Thanks for your info ref. the welder.

Comment

• manofsteel
                        • Jan 2003

Re: Another question or three

Originally posted by Wmarden
                        What kind of load can I put on 1 inch bolts? And 1 inch grade 8 bolts? What would it take to hold 1000 pounds?
                        Ref. the carrier... I will do a picture this weekend with a description. I hope this will help. In regards to the G.8 bolts...I have no idea.

Comment

Re: Another question or three

Originally posted by Wmarden
                          Grade 8 1 inch bolts typically have a tensile strength of 150,000psi. Don't know the shear spec. I have seen one bolt lift several tons. 1000# load Minum for shear...5/8" IMHO for tensile....1/2", again IMHO.
                          Last edited by Guest; 01-03-2003, 12:36 AM.

Comment

• Bill (NJ)
                            • Nov 2002

This is one I may be able to help with. If you go to link below you can see the equiptment I have.

it's toward the bottom of the page. Let me know if I can help

Bill

Comment

• manofsteel
                              • Jan 2003

In regards to the carrier for the Lat pulldown machine. I used 2- 1/4" x 1" heat formed around 3" sq. stock leaving appox. 1/8" for clearance. This in turn was welded to a plate 1/4" x 3"x 5", one at the top and bottom which will now slide up and down the post. A bracket was made out of 1/4" plate for the pulley and welded to the plate. A 1" solid round bar appox. 20" long was used for the weight plates and welded to the 3 x 5 plate spaced out to match the center of the pulley in order to provide a even balance. To prevent excessive noise with the metal to metal contact of the slide I simply used a couple of nylon tie straps.

Comment

Working...
                              X