Clear All

• Simpsons-Sears Band Saw

Another band saw, this one by:
    Sears, Roebuck and Co.
    Craftsman Commercial
    Simpsons-Sears Limited, Canada
    Sometime in the early 60's
    Cuts 4" X 6"

I've had it for 13 or 14 years and have made thousands of cuts with it. It replaced a power hacksaw.........what's that?

See attached images. Please excuse the 13+ year old polaroids recently "scanned in".

before
    "Some days you're the dog, some days you're the fire hydrant"

Simpsons-Sears Band Saw

another before

Comment

Simpsons-Sears Band Saw

An after- Last image

Comment

I paid $75 for one of those from a friend and used it to cut all the material for a car trailer that I built along with several other projects.

During that time, it lost the rubber tire on the drive wheel and although it would still cut, the blade would come off.

Assuming that it would be impossible to get tires for it, I replaced the saw with a new one and gave it to my uncle who thought he could do something with it.

He went to Sears and bought new tires for some ridiculously low amount and is using it happily.
        Can we fix it? Yes we can!

Comment

Old saw

Boy oh boy that saw looks straight from the Fred Flintstone era. I think he used it to cut up some bones to make some Brontosaurous burgers!! Theres nothing like an old tool that still works though. Ive got some relics too that still do the job.

Work safe
          Darrin Morgan

Comment

Yup, that's the one, Dave. There must be lots of that style that Sears pushed out the door. I have never tried to date mine or anything but I know dad bought it used and had it quite a few years. I'll have to look at it more closely someday.

Rawkrash, I have bought 3 sets of tires from Sears over the years, seems like they were about 13 bucks a set. This time I found an old one to re-use for a few cuts and then plan to make them myself. I bought enough neoprene from a belt & rubber store to make 2 pair for about 4 bucks. Someday I need to find a way to replace the blade guide bearings as they have some wobble.
            cutter
            "Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Comment

Darrin,

My thoughts exactly. That's why the clunky wood frame and wheels were "missing" in the third pic. Metalworking tools should have mostly metal frames......right.

"Brontosaurous burgers" That's a good one!

Dave

Comment

Dave,

Here is my old Craftsman metal cutting band saw. I kinda hated to photograph it as dirty as it is but I am not likely to clean it up anytime real soon. I guess I need to get me one of them girl friends that digs tools (real iron ones) and likes things clean. Hmmmmmmmmm. Naaah, I'll just have to put it off a while; if I can't find time to clean my machines I sure don't have time for a fastidious woman.
                The metal label on mine appears to read a little different than yours.
                cutter
                "Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Comment

i see the sears bandsaw online for 1000.00, probable not nearly the machines you guys have. love to see the old stuff
                  no one get's out of here alive.

Comment

Cutter,

Thanks.

Model number on mine is 101.22901. Saw is nearly identical to yours.

Dave

Comment

Fixing up my band saw

I have an old Sears, Roebuck and Co. metal cutting band saw that I'm working on fixing up (Model # 101. 22923). The motor is running, but the hydraulic piston doesn't work. Did you have to clean yours out and add new fluid?

Comment

Originally posted by GChristy View Post
                        I have an old Sears, Roebuck and Co. metal cutting band saw that I'm working on fixing up (Model # 101. 22923). The motor is running, but the hydraulic piston doesn't work. Did you have to clean yours out and add new fluid?
                        What do you mean by "doesn't work"? This should be a hydraulic cylinder with a tube and adjustable valve allowing fluid to drain from one side to the other, and a bypass valve for when the saw is lifted. What is it that doesn't work? (I assume you noticed this thread is nearly 10 yrs. old).
                        Last edited by Northweldor; 12-19-2012, 07:10 AM.

Comment

Yup, took it all apart, cleaned and new fluid. It still works great. I use it frequently, and now I've had it for over twenty four years.

Have a great day!

Dave

Comment

Dave, in your original post you mentioned a power hacksaw. Nearly 35 years ago, a neighbor and I contracted to do some fab work for a cable manufacturing company. I had a horizontal bandsaw I had bought from JC Penney catalog, and he borrowed a power hacksaw. We did a comparison on cutting 2x2x1/4 angle, and the bandsaw mopped up on the hacksaw.

Comment

Cope,

10-4 on the mopping up. At the time I procured the power hacksaw it was a nice step up from what I had been using. By the way, I sold the power hacksaw for $15 more than I paid for the band saw. More often than not, my trades/deals go the other way. Nice to hear from you.

Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X