• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My shop/shed/building project

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_40548.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	2.78 MB
ID:	710644 I thought someone might find my building project interesting. I have been hesitant to start a thread because it is taking me for ever to complete as I work on it in my spare time after work and on weekends. I purchased some trusses from my brother years ago he had used for green houses and had them stacked up for later. I ended up placing a bag of fertilizer on them and forgot about it. They are made of 1” square tubing and needless to say, all 5 trusses were rusted out in the middle so I had to repair those 1st. Repaired truss
    Last edited by T>D>C; 10-04-2020, 06:26 AM.
    T>D>C

Hobart Handler 175
    Hobart Champion Elite Welder/generator

“The less you know about a topic, the more you over estimate the quality of your knowledge on the subject” - Jordan Peterson

The shed will be 24’ x 20’ x 12’. The trusses for the roof are made from 1” square tubing salvaged from a greenhouse. The frame is being constructed from 2-3/8” oil field pipe. I do not have a plan to close it in as of right now. The intended use appears to change the more time I spend tinkering with it. More info to come this weekend.
    T>D>C

Hobart Handler 175

“The less you know about a topic, the more you over estimate the quality of your knowledge on the subject” - Jordan Peterson

Comment

Thanks! We love pictorial project threads!

Comment

Couple more truss pics. I set the trusses up on jack stands, cut out the rotten metal, welded in new steel, ran over the frame with a wire cup on 4-1/2 grinder painted. I brushed on Rustoleum rusty metal primer then top coated with spray paint cans. The trusses are multi colored as I used the opportunity to empty all the accumulated spray cans of paint I had hoarded. I had about 2 cases of partial cans accumulated. 1/2 of which would not spray anymore. I started on this project in May.
        T>D>C

Hobart Handler 175

Comment

Originally posted by T>D>C View Post
          The shed will be 24’ x 20’ x 12’. The trusses for the roof are made from 1” square tubing salvaged from a greenhouse. The frame is being constructed from 2-3/8” oil field pipe. I do not have a plan to close it in as of right now. The intended use appears to change the more time I spend tinkering with it. More info to come this weekend.
          Those trusses look a little light weight for 20x24 ft. Are you planning on using more than 5, or reinforcing/supporting? You probably don't have to woory much about snow load, but what about wind?

Comment

From past experience, they are much stronger than they appear. I haven’t revealed what’s next but there will be a joist like frame running down the middle of the building and perimeter of the building. They will be placed on 5’ centers. I am going to weld 14g 1” square tubing as the purlins on 24” centers and screw 26g sheet metal to it. Additional internal bracing stabilizing and support (wind bracing).
            T>D>C

Hobart Handler 175

Comment

I like building with oil field pipe but you have to take care of it. I’ve had my supply laying on the ground under trees and I was surprised how much scale and pitting occurred in just a few years. Here is a small piece I found in a creek bed. I thought it was a piece of wood when I tripped over it.
              T>D>C

Hobart Handler 175

Comment

Originally posted by T>D>C View Post
                I like building with oil field pipe but you have to take care of it. I’ve had my supply laying on the ground under trees and I was surprised how much scale and pitting occurred in just a few years. Here is a small piece I found in a creek bed. I thought it was a piece of wood when I tripped over it.
                Interesting! Wonder about the water in that creek!

Do you have any arc blow problems with the pipe?

Comment

The vertical supports for the building are 15’ long welded together to form columns. The corners are three post and the two in the middle are two. I started using a Harbor Freight chop saw I had used in the past. It works ok but I was getting a lot of inconsistent cuts. It wasn’t bothering me at 1st but as the project came together. I wanted more accuracy.
                  T>D>C

Hobart Handler 175

Comment

Originally posted by Northweldor View Post

Interesting! Wonder about the water in that creek!

Do you have any arc blow problems with the pipe?
                    I am not sure what arc blow is but some joints are more difficult to weld. The arc wants to dance around. If I try to pour too much metal in to fill a wide gap, I do burn through, hence the want for tighter gaps. I experimented with a portable band saw but I am not achieving the accuracy I wanted.
                    T>D>C

Hobart Handler 175

Comment

I have built these columns before but I tried a different method this time. I leveled a single pipe, welded the spacers on then placed the 2nd pipe. This proved unwildley, especially with the inconsistent cuts.
                      T>D>C

Hobart Handler 175

Comment

I created a lot of extra work by not storing the pipe off the ground. It was very clean pipe when delivered. I have to run a wire cup on a 4-1/2” grinder to clean it up before cutting and welding.
                        T>D>C

Hobart Handler 175

Comment

I am using Ospho on this build. It blackens the metal and creates a base for the primer/paint to stick to. It appears to work well but time will tell. I did learn one hard lesson. The instructions say to let it dry for 24 hours. I let it sit for several days and the rust started bleeding back through. I had to re-coat, let it dry again and then paint.
                          T>D>C

Hobart Handler 175

Comment

T>D>C

Hobart Handler 175

Comment

Painted dark grey Rustoleum rattle can spray paint.
                              T>D>C

Hobart Handler 175

Comment

Working...
                              X