Log splitter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Log splitter

Hi guys, great site. anybody ever make a frame for a hydraulic (manual) log splitter? Thinking about trying one. Thanks

back killer

Charlie,
    never built one but have used several.... one piece of advice... build/buy vertical ram unit... you don't have to lift near as many logs near as high...

I think I've got some plans for one in a welding project book if your interested.... let me know and I'll dig them up and fax/mail to you..

john ( the gas log lover) niolon
    My "project truck" has turned into 'garage art' !!!

Comment

Log Splitter

I was looking into building a splitter myself, a small one just for use around the house. Harbour Freight has what they call a "6 ton mini log splitter, #42696-2VGA" on sale from $55 to $40. It is a vertical one and uses a 6 ton jack to push with. I am going to go the local store in the morning to see if I can look at it. I would feel better if it had at least a 10-12 ton jack, but then the jack would cost more that the whole machine to purchase. BTY, I really want it to make kindeling from already split logs I buy locally. Would be nice if you folks out there who have more experience in this sort of thing could provide some guidence. Anyway thanks...

P.S. I would make one, but I'm not to sure my HH135 would be up to welding the thick steel necessary.
      Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
      Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
      Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
      Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Comment

h.f. splitter

George,

isn't that a manual splitter ??? where you jack the handle till you split the log ??? that thing could take all day to split one log and I can imagine that on green hardwood it would do it at all...

If you're not in a hurry and don't mind spending most of your time getting the wedge unstuck from the log I guess it would do but you'd wear out a shoulder joint just pumping through a few logs, I'd think...

just my $.02

john
        My "project truck" has turned into 'garage art' !!!

Comment

Jniolon, no hurry but if you could email them I sure ...wood...appreciate it. I haven't checked anything out yet, but if Sundown is right about that price it would be a good deal just to buy one.

Sundown, thanks for the info. I'll look up the site and see what they have to offer.

I'm just a beginner. Just bought a millermatic 135 mig outfit and an oxy acet. outfit also. Got a 71 Duster drag car and thought they would come in handy sometime. Interested in doing some projects and favors for friends also.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!!!!

Comment

I bought the horizontal (10 ton?) that Harbor Frieght has/had. I would not recommend it. The basic frame is well done but ...

Jack stroke is too short, welds to clamp down the jack were crap, hydrolic cylinder has no vent until the rubber plug breaks then falls out (if you plug it the air pressure prevents the ram from retracting, if not you get oil all over on the back stroke). Tabs for return springs broke off early (on about the third reweld).

While it seems I have to repair it almost every time I use it ... It does give me some welding to do, and I really can use the exercise ... poor mans Nordic Trak.

If you depend on wood for heat, get something heavier and more productive.

Bob

Comment

no welding necessary

I found this kind of splitter works the best. Never needs welding. he he
              bitternut

Comment

Log Splitter

Went to the local HF store. The guy there told me that they did not, nor were they going to stock the splitter I wanted to know about. He had about the same comments that Bob had. Since I mainly want it to make kindeling from already split wood, I guess I'll just get a hand maul to use. Thanks for all the comments.
                Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
                Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
                Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
                Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Comment

Re: no welding necessary

Originally posted by bitternut
                  I found this kind of splitter works the best. Never needs welding. he he
                  Mine wore out, so I bought a pellet stove insert for my fireplace. Like the Old One says:"I like easy!"

Comment

Quest is over

Sundown...GOOD ONE!!! The quest is over. Couldn't stand it any longer. Too much wood to chop. Went out yesterday and bought me a Yard Machine 6.5 horse, 26 ton. A little bit different from where this thread started, but what the ****. It topped off my Christmas..Thanks for the input everyone. Til next time...HAPPY NEW YEAR

Comment

I too gave up on wood but more power to those who still have the energy for it. I used to burn corn in a pellet stove. I live in the city now but would burn corn again if I could get it delivered and stored - a bushel a day provides a lot of heat.
                      Happy New Year,
                      John

Comment

Working...
                      X