Metal Roller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metal Roller

This is my first try at posting. This is a metal roller I made from scrap and some plumbing parts. Once I'm sure this works I'll post more details.

more metal roller pics

Wow, a web site that works. Hats off to the webmasters.

I don't have a lathe so I just tried things at the hardware store until I got things that fit. The threaded reducers just slip into the pipe. I drilled out the inside of the reducers to accept the shaft.

Comment

Roller frame

The frame is made of angle Iron I had. I clamped the 2 side pieces back to back to drill the holes and cut the slot with a chop saw.

Comment

The key feature (defect) of this design is that if you roll a circle the tool has to be disassembled to get the part out. That's a 1/4-20 bolt welded to an old rusted solid bearing used as the adjustment to control the radius of the bend. Something larger than the 1/4-20 would be better.

Comment

Thats pretty cool. Is it adjustable to get different degree of arc? I would be interested in some more details so I could build one.
          Arbo & Thor (The Junkyard Dog)
          The Next Loud Noise You Hear Is Me!

Comment

metal roller answers

Hi,

You adjust the bend radius by turning the bearing (nothing special about the bearing it's just a funky knob) which pulls the driven roller down in the slot. The bend radius will depend on a combination of roller positon and the thickness of the metal being passed though. As for details there is nothing special about the dimensions. For example I can't remember why I only made it 4" wide. If the hardware store would have had a different selection of plumbing parts or different "round things" I might have made the rollers a different size too.

Comment

I need to roll 24" diameter rings made of half inch solid bar stock (hot rolled). Do you think that your design is heavy enough to handle that? If so, could you post some drawings/plans. Thanks.
              Arbo & Thor (The Junkyard Dog)
              The Next Loud Noise You Hear Is Me!

Comment

Hi,

The max capacity of the one I made is 3/8". To do the design draw the work piece you want to make (24" / 1/2") and then draw three circles touching the work piece, two outside and one inside. You have a lot of flexibility on size and position. There are common sense issues such as big rollers being better for big stock and small rollers being better for tight bends.

The keys to my design are two end pieces each with two holes for the fixed rollers and a slot for the moving roller. There is the "U" shaped piece which hold the moving roller and pull it down in the slot in the end pieces. The details should be governed more by what you have in your junk box than what my design was.

Here's two more designs:

http://www.metalsmith.org/pub/mtlsmith/V20.3/roller.htm

http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/rolls/rolls.html

Comment

Working...
                X