tubing bender cart and what is makes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tubing bender cart and what is makes

This is my new toy and I had to make a mount for it because I got sick of it when it was mounted outside on the concrete slab.
    Last edited by ZACHV; 12-17-2002, 04:24 PM.
    AtoZ Fabrication, Inc.
    Miller MM210--now X2
    Hypertherm 380
    Miller autodark hood

Pic2
    AtoZ Fabrication, Inc.
    Miller MM210--now X2
    Hypertherm 380
    Miller autodark hood

Comment

Pic 3
      AtoZ Fabrication, Inc.
      Miller MM210--now X2
      Hypertherm 380
      Miller autodark hood

Comment

Here is the mount.
        AtoZ Fabrication, Inc.
        Miller MM210--now X2
        Hypertherm 380
        Miller autodark hood

Comment

the other end...
          AtoZ Fabrication, Inc.
          Miller MM210--now X2
          Hypertherm 380
          Miller autodark hood

Comment

I like this bender.

I did see a "hausfeld 4" that looked like it had its own racheting air cylinder for mucho $.

The handle and air hose? make this look air-hydrolic. I get the physics, but can't understand the air part that looks to be below the oil part? How do you keep the oil from bleeding with the air?

Last pix looked like threads on wear points, probably OK the way used here.

Bend On, Bend On

Bob

Comment

Yeah, the bender works pretty good for what it was designed for.

I was wondering about the positioning of the ram also. if you have more experience with such things would you recommend turning it the other way? And yes, it is air over hydraulic.

On the one pic with the mount you are correct about the threads. I was just testing different positions such as tilting the ram bottom down a little to see if it made any difference.
              AtoZ Fabrication, Inc.
              Miller MM210--now X2
              Hypertherm 380
              Miller autodark hood

Comment

Bob,

The way the air-over-hydraulic system works is that the air goes into the top part of the cylinder (the one with square end plates) pushes a piston down which has hydraulic fluid under it. The hydraulic fluid gets pushed out a small opening and the fluid comes in under the piston if the larger cylinder. By forcing the hydraulic fluid out a small opening, the air pressure is multiplied and pushes the piston on the larger cylinder outward. The air and hydraulic fluid never meet each other so you never have a air bleeding.

Comment

Ryan,

Thanks, I learned something today. I did not realize there was a piston with seal(s) between the air and oil. Thinking of just one big (vertical) chamber with air on top and oil below.

Bob

Comment

looks good zach, I wish my ram would have come with a mount on the bottom of it like that. hopefully I'll get mine finished up this weekend and can post pics of how I mounted it.

my only concern about your ram mounting position is that it would seem you need more angle on the bender when the ram is pulled all the way in. this would require not mounting the ram hanging off the side of the tube but on top of the piece of tube. if you look on P4x4 a guy posted pics of how he mounted his. I'm pretty much duplicating what he did.

Edit: here's pics of the one I'm talking about:
                    http://www.printroom.com/ViewAlbum.a...lbum_id=110777

- jack
                    Last edited by morpheus; 12-19-2002, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by morpheus
                      looks good zach, I wish my ram would have come with a mount on the bottom of it like that. hopefully I'll get mine finished up this weekend and can post pics of how I mounted it.

my only concern about your ram mounting position is that it would seem you need more angle on the bender when the ram is pulled all the way in. this would require not mounting the ram hanging off the side of the tube but on top of the piece of tube. if you look on P4x4 a guy posted pics of how he mounted his. I'm pretty much duplicating what he did.
                      - jack
                      Jack, thanks for the kind words. As to the angle, I looked into that and as long as the ram does not start out pushing directly into the bar you are OK. Plus, this way I can get a 90 degree bend in one stroke with my 1 1/4" die!
                      Also, I just bought a garage door spring yesterday at HD and I will be mounting that on Saturday for the return activation. I feel that I have enough "feel" and control of the relieve valve to be able to feel the springback. I'll let you know how it comes out.
                      AtoZ Fabrication, Inc.
                      Miller MM210--now X2
                      Hypertherm 380
                      Miller autodark hood

Comment

cool zach. having enough angle to where you weren't directly into the bending arm was my concern and why I'd assumed the others mounted theirs the way they did. is the pic with the one bolt how you ended up mounting it ?

- jack

Comment

No, I was just using that end lowered to fill the ram. I am using it with the tabs of the ram on either side of the plate, if that makes sense. Basically, the ram is perfectly level.
                          AtoZ Fabrication, Inc.
                          Miller MM210--now X2
                          Hypertherm 380
                          Miller autodark hood

Comment

ok. I understand how you've mounted it.

I must admit for my taste your mounting method is kinda
                            "light weight" given the potential force the ram is capable of.

- jack

Comment

Yeah, I was somewhat concerned about that, but it is 3/8" thick plate and after bending all day on Saturday both 1 1/4" and 1 3/4" .120 wall tube it did not show any deflection or bending AT ALL. I don't believe in major overkill when not warranted. To me, as long as something accomplishes what it was designed to do it can be as light as it can be.
                              AtoZ Fabrication, Inc.
                              Miller MM210--now X2
                              Hypertherm 380
                              Miller autodark hood

Comment

Working...
                              X