Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jigs....

hello to all,

I have been watching this site since I bought my HH135....about a year ago. I am a structural steel detailer for a metal building company, a machinist by trade, and enjoy building custom motorcycles.....

I would like to participate buy showing you this jig I am real proud of. The project is a passenger peg stand for my chopper. It is made fron 1/2 inch rod, hand bent with a torch, using 1/8th x 1" L for the base. I just got out of the machine shop I have access to saturday, and will be finishing the project soon. If I do not respond quickly it is because I work about 50 or more hours a week.......
    ~J~

So what's it do?

Comment

Welcome Johnny,

While just a hobbist, I tend to do more machine work than welding on my projects. (Tap threads instead of welding on a nut, bolt on a part instead of weld if alignment is critical, like that).

Anyway,

Looks like quite a bit of work and thought in the fixture, but I too am not sure what it does.

My guess is the tie-wraps will go away and the upper round will get welded to the lower ones? The angles bolt under some place and the upper rods stick out a foot pegs. Am I anywhere close.

Also a happy HH-135 owner.

There is a "biker" and "motorcyclist" contingent amoung the forum members and any pix of your creations will be most welcome.

Hope work is not too hectic. Welcome again.

Bob
      Last edited by Bob; 12-08-2002, 06:35 PM.

Comment

thanks bob

yes bob, that picture was taken right before I welded it together.... The two angles will bolt to the rear motor mount, and the arms will "strattle" the rear fender prviding a place to bolt on a set of passenger pegs...... Here is a picture of my bike, the peg mount, when finished, will extend from the rear of the oil tank.....
        ~J~

Comment

here
          ~J~

Comment

how it works?

this is the best I could do to explain how this thing works......As I have said before, the stand bolts to the rear of the engine, and each leg will extend out to hold a foot peg....hope this helps....
            ~J~

Comment

Johnny,

I get it. Looks like a good deal.

Nice Ride. How much did you custom build?

A friend was trying to make a business of building his own version of an HD frame. He invested a lot and made one or two, but then went back to his day job. Not sure just what went wrong. Kinda sorry he wasn't able to make a go of it, I think he really liked the project. But then, he also rents a house from me, so I am glad his income is more steady again.

Bob

Comment

Re: how it works?

Originally posted by johnny ford
                this is the best I could do to explain how this thing works......As I have said before, the stand bolts to the rear of the engine, and each leg will extend out to hold a foot peg....hope this helps....
                Why the foot pegs? there's no place for a passenger to sit??

Looking at the drawing, I can see a rider will have a decent amount of weight on it, and since you torched the bar to bend it, it's annealed in the bend zone, making it weak in that area... I don't think it will support a rider. I would have not used anything less than 3/4" 4130 chromolly pipe or rod. Pipe is stronger than rod, but I think it would carry the stress of a foot peg. Just my thoughts. Be safe

Comment

heat stressed

thankyou RockyD for your thoughts, I have enjoyed watching your posts.....

As far as having a place to sit, I do have a new seat pan that I have hand hammered, and gas welded together(a gas rig was my first welder). I don't have a pic of the seat pan now, but I will post it later.

Foot pegs on motorcycles have been a place to support the passengers' feet, they where never designed to jump up and down on. Half inch rod is use frequently on motorcycles for things like this and even rear fender struts. Yes I did use a torch to bend the rod, but I know I had to be at recrystalisation temperature (1333 F), and I quenched them right after the bend was made. I'll bet I have a small case hardening on the rod, hopfully 1/32 or more per side. Grinding on this stuff shure did show a difference in sparks, and grinder performance. there will be one more support of legs, and they will be trimmed to size making them shorter and less easier to stress... I beleve it willl work, I'm playing with the thing right now, and it seems perty strong.....

Thanks for the input RockyD, let me know if you have other thoughts.....
                  ~J~

Comment

for bob

Bob I am wanting to know if your friend got to where he had a frame jig, or made one.........let me know I am interested....
                    ~J~

Comment

Hello Everyone, and Mery Christmas,

I have an update on my peg mount project, I hope you enjoy it.

This view shown below is the welded peg mount, this is the base. The jig worked wonderful, I could even tilt the whole thing to one side to hit some of the hard to reach areas. They are welded together all the way around the bar, and I did blent the upper portion but left the very base part of the stand alone.
                      ~J~

Comment

pic
                        ~J~

Comment

This is a test fit of what I call the "Lug" of the mount. A 1/2" allthread, washers, and nuts, are used to hold the Lugs in place. The lugs where machined to hide a 1/2" - 13 cap screw with the threads pionted to the outside.
                          ~J~

Comment

This is a closer view of the setup. Nothing has been coped to fit, or cut to size. I do not intend to run the full length of the rod (more on that later).

The position shown is not the one I will be welding, I am able to invert the jig to hit this thing in almost a horizontal position. The allthread and stuff will be removed after welding.
                            ~J~

Comment

This is the part I have been putting off because the weather was nice, and in December in Oklahoma, you dont get many days where you can ride in comfort ( at RockyD).

As you can see, there is a long moment on the bends of the peg mount, I don't need that much room to clear by far. The "arms" will be cut by at least 30 percent. This is a test fit of the mount to the bike to check clearence on, well everything. All of the tests came back positive with one exception.

- Exceptions Report -

Rear Fender clearence (not shown)

"She's a little nary boys, gunna have to bring'er in"

I knew there was a slight chance of this, and was not too disapointed with fitment. This will be a minor adjusment (torch), and the mount will still be square.
                              ~J~

Comment

Working...
                              X