Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drawing of next project (welding/cutting table)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Drawing of next project (welding/cutting table)

    Just thought I would post these drawings I have started. Will is coming over on Sunday to give me a hand and some more great tips as we begin building this. Its a combination of several plans I have looked at. I haven't drawn out the box for under the cutting side yet. Anyone have an idea of how deep I should make this? Should I put sand in the bottom?

    Looking forward to starting another project

    Everyone have a great weekend I probably won't be on much before Sunday now.

    Bob
    Last edited by deere_x475guy; 12-08-2002, 09:53 PM.
    Short Term Memory GONE!!
    Hobby Weldor/Machinist
    Photobucket Shop Pics

  • #2
    another view

    another view
    Short Term Memory GONE!!
    Hobby Weldor/Machinist
    Photobucket Shop Pics

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: another view

      Originally posted by deere_x475guy
      another view
      Here's a cutting table I built. It is the same height as my weld table, so I can use the table to support something heavy, and cut into the box. I have nothing in the bottom of it, except a tray I can pull out and dump the slag as it builds up.

      Comment


      • #4
        I just looked again at your drawing...I have found that two inch spacing for the cutting table grid is too much, 1" works fine. You'll always be needing to cut small parts, and the 1" spacing gives your parts better support.

        The box part has to be far enough away from the cutting surface so's it won't consume away from the hot stuff coming to rest on it. I made mine about 12", as I recall.

        Notice the little door gives access to the tray inside.

        Also notice the strap on the floor...that's a ground to my TIG machine, so I don't have cables all over the place.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Rocky D
          I just looked again at your drawing...I have found that two inch spacing for the cutting table grid is too much, 1" works fine. You'll always be needing to cut small parts, and the 1" spacing gives your parts better support.

          The box part has to be far enough away from the cutting surface so's it won't consume away from the hot stuff coming to rest on it. I made mine about 12", as I recall.

          Notice the little door gives access to the tray inside.

          Also notice the strap on the floor...that's a ground to my TIG machine, so I don't have cables all over the place.
          Rocky, thanks that's what I was looking for. The one inch spacing makes sense and I will do that. I had planed on making a clean out drawer also. The 12 inch height box I wasn't sure about but now I know it works for you and I will do that also. I decided this morning that I will make my torch tanks sit on the end the wheels are on. Do you have any idea how far above the bottom of the legs I should have the bottom of the wheels? I want to put handles on the opposite end and then just be able to lift from the end and have the wheels engage the ground. I would prefer not to have to lift to far. My ole back can't take to much of that hehe.

          Thanks again
          Bob
          Short Term Memory GONE!!
          Hobby Weldor/Machinist
          Photobucket Shop Pics

          Comment


          • #6
            cutting table

            Bob, years ago I saw a neat cutting table, similar to your design. One addition was a diagonal of 12 gauge sheet to prevent the slag from burning the operator during the cutting process. The table was probably twice the size of yours; I have always thought that the leg protector was a good idea.

            Comment


            • #7
              Hi Bob,
              Its Bob.
              I think you want the wheels to sit right on the ground with the table flat. That way they will "engage" as soon as you start to lift. The slack in the bearings/bushings should keep the table from "floating" on the wheels. Just in case weld distortion lifts it, you could always add a bead to the bottom of those legs.
              Have you estimated the weight yet, looks heavy.
              Bob
              Last edited by Bob; 12-07-2002, 10:01 AM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: cutting table

                Originally posted by cope
                Bob, years ago I saw a neat cutting table, similar to your design. One addition was a diagonal of 12 gauge sheet to prevent the slag from burning the operator during the cutting process. The table was probably twice the size of yours; I have always thought that the leg protector was a good idea.
                Cope, I plan on building a box to sit under the cutting grates. This should contain the flame and sparks (I hope)...

                Thanks...Bob
                Short Term Memory GONE!!
                Hobby Weldor/Machinist
                Photobucket Shop Pics

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Bob
                  Hi Bob,
                  Its Bob.
                  I think you want the wheels to sit right on the ground with the table flat. That way they will "engage" as soon as you start to lift. The slack in the bearings/bushings should keep the table from "floating" on the wheels. Just in case weld distortion lifts it, you could always add a bead to the bottom of those legs.
                  Have you estimated the weight yet, looks heavy.
                  Bob
                  Bob, I think that makes sense. I will do it that way. If it doesn't work out well I can always cut and reweld (I need the practice anyway)...hehe..

                  Thanks,

                  Bob

                  PS. Will is coming over tomorrow to help me get started on this. We will make sure to take plenty of pics as it progresses to post.

                  Short Term Memory GONE!!
                  Hobby Weldor/Machinist
                  Photobucket Shop Pics

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    26" high? Is it actually suppose to be 36" ? 36" is the height that I like.
                    MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
                    Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.


                    PM 180C



                    HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Dan
                      26" high? Is it actually suppose to be 36" ? 36" is the height that I like.
                      Dan I would like to sit while I am welding. Maybe I should make it higher and then make a stool of the right height to work from. What would you suggest for the height?

                      Bob
                      Short Term Memory GONE!!
                      Hobby Weldor/Machinist
                      Photobucket Shop Pics

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Bob, So. Cal. Bob, has the idea for the wheels, however the slack, or slop in the bearings can be controlled more precisely if you first measure the slop across the diameter of the wheel, (low point to high point), and shim the table up that distance, slid your wheel assembly contact point up to the leg and tack there. (You'll need an axle all the way across, here). Welding top and bottom wil not move the assembly too much. The remove the shims after welding, and you'll find that your wheel has positive contact with the ground, as well as the table leg, and it won't take much to lift it.

                        Sounds like a great table!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by deere_x475guy


                          Dan I would like to sit while I am welding. Maybe I should make it higher and then make a stool of the right height to work from. What would you suggest for the height?

                          Bob
                          Bob, remember, you will be arc or MIG welding at this height, and the sparks will be landing on....well, I guess you know where

                          34" is a good height, 36" is a bit tall, but do-able, and 32" would be too short. You should be sitting in such a way that your legs are slanted, so the sparks will run off. The table and chair I have previously shown here is for heliarc welding, and for anything else I use the stool. I'm 6'2" and Ilike my work surface to match my height. So it is a personal thing, just how high the table should be. Also, think of your back, too. If you're four feet tall, 26" will work.
                          Last edited by Rocky D; 12-08-2002, 08:39 AM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Rocky D


                            Bob, remember, you will be acr or MIG welding at this height, and the sparks will be landing on....well, I guess you know where

                            34" is a good height, 36" is a bit tall, but do-able, and 32" would be too short. You should be sitting in such a way that your legs are slanted, so the sparks will run off. The table and chair I have previously shown here is for heliarc welding, and for anything else I use the stool. I'm 6'2" and Ilike my work surface to match my height. So it is a personal thing, just how high the table should be. Also, think of your back, too. If you're four feet tall, 26" will work.

                            Hmm..ya know. I have several woodworking tables that I have built and used for years. Guess I will go with the height I have those at. To late to go out and measure tonight.

                            Bob..
                            Short Term Memory GONE!!
                            Hobby Weldor/Machinist
                            Photobucket Shop Pics

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Bob, looks like you have some pretty good ideas going as far as your welding table. And you have gotten some good advise from both Dan and Rocky D. I have been kicking around makeing me a bigger welding table then what I presently have which is about 24" in diamater. I have an old metal desk I was thinking about setting inside the structure of this new table, as the desk is only about 24"tall and only about 48" long. Figured I could make a shelf to sit it on where it would sit right up under the top of the table. I was also thinking about on the back side of my table welding on a piece of 2" angle iron the length of the table to use as a v- plate or what ever you would want to call it, to use for lining up pieces of pipe or tubing in order to keep them straight while fitting them up. Looking for any input as whether this is a good idea or a dud?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X