Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patio Fireplace

Hey guys,

I stumbled across something on the net the other day. I would like to try making one of these "fire dishes." I was thinking I could save myself some money and add a few personal touches of my own. I don't know how to form the dish however. I would not be opposed to the idea of using something else as the dish. I was thinking that you guys might have some ideas as what could be used. Thanks in advance.

www.firedish.com
    Arbo & Thor (The Junkyard Dog)
    The Next Loud Noise You Hear Is Me!

Re: Patio Fireplace

Arbo, I have been thinking about the same kind of project myself to build someday. I would like to see how yours turns out. Maybe you could post some pics as you build it.

Bob

Originally posted by Arbo
    Hey guys,

I stumbled across something on the net the other day. I would like to try making one of these "fire dishes." I was thinking I could save myself some money and add a few personal touches of my own. I don't know how to form the dish however. I would not be opposed to the idea of using something else as the dish. I was thinking that you guys might have some ideas as what could be used. Thanks in advance.

www.firedish.com
    Short Term Memory GONE!!
    Hobby Weldor/Machinist
    Photobucket Shop Pics

Comment

You could try finding a discarded tank large enough and cut off the end, it would be pre-formed and probably be free except for the labor.
      It's not an optical illusion...it just looks like one

Comment

The smaller portable "dish" can be made from a large disk plow. My neighbor has a small disk style to use with the Scouts and a large "tank cap" type for his yard. His is bordered with plants so he had a heat shield made to protect the plants and a cover made from tin roofing.

I saw a fire pit at a flea market this weekend selling for over $400 and it was made from a tank end. The upper edge of the cap was banded with flat bar rolled to fit inside and outside edge of the cap. The stand was made from square stock rolled to form a ring for the cap to set in and the legs were scrolled from the same size square stock. I think the tank caps are purchased new but I bet you can find something to use at a recycle center.

I made a fire pit from a square man hole cover that's about 3X3, it had a 1 1/2 lip on the inside that was already there, that has had many hours of use. I just had to weld legs on it and I used railroad spikes for that. The cover is cast so I welded flat bar in a square under the plate to mount the railroad spikes to it. It works well but the square design in combination with being so shallow cause some of the bigger logs to roll out from time to time. We use it in the driveway to keep from spreading a fire. I use an old sign for a cover to keep the rain out, wet ashes are no fun to dig out of the pit. Oh yeah, I used Rebar for the pokers and handles to move, drag, it around. The pit I made isn't as pretty as those on the website but it keeps the sticks and limbs out of the streets around here.
        Duke

Comment

Hey guys,

www.firedish.com
          I am currently working on a patio fireplace,...this was my approach. I got one of those fake gas inserts with the ceramic logs, I chose this because it lights instantly, has a pizio ignitor, no ashes or ambers to contend with, has a thermo-coupler so if the wind should blow out the flame the gas is shut off. I bult a "firebox" out of some 3/16 inch plate, painted it with high temp spray paint, just waiting for the weather to cut me some slack to run the gas line,....freezing rain and snow here. Just wanted to run this by you guys as a thought.
          ROCK

Comment

Around here I have seen a few cooking grills made from the large plow disks where they have plugged the hole in the center and then welded legs onto the bottom side of the disk then attached a burner under it using a propane bottle to supply fuel for the burner. Makes some great tasting food.
            Last edited by gnewby; 12-04-2002, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Hey guys,

www.firedish.com
              Another shot with screen
              ROCK

Comment

Re: Re: Patio Fireplace

Originally posted by R. Nelson
                I am currently working on a patio fireplace,...this was my approach. I got one of those fake gas inserts with the ceramic logs, I chose this because it lights instantly, has a pizio ignitor, no ashes or ambers to contend with, has a thermo-coupler so if the wind should blow out the flame the gas is shut off. I bult a "firebox" out of some 3/16 inch plate, painted it with high temp spray paint, just waiting for the weather to cut me some slack to run the gas line,....freezing rain and snow here. Just wanted to run this by you guys as a thought.

How much of the white stuff did you end up with we got about
                5-6 inches of it here in South Central KS. My wifes maiden name was Nelson she was born in OK. Around OKmulgee.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Patio Fireplace

Originally posted by gnewby

How much of the white stuff did you end up with we got about
                  5-6 inches of it here in South Central KS. My wifes maiden name was Nelson she was born in OK. Around OKmulgee.
                  We only got a dusting of the white stuff, but everything is covered with ice. I'm from the OKC area.
                  ROCK

Comment

Rock

We are still dealing with the snow and ice here the snow on the streets is melting a little every day then then the streets are iced back up every night and morning. Everyone is getting to practice up on their winter driving skills. Nice looking fireplace you are putting together.
                    Last edited by gnewby; 12-06-2002, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Hey guys,

www.firedish.com
                      Here it is guys, it is done, and me and the wife are gonna drink some ****tails sitting by the fire.
                      ROCK

Comment

Originally posted by gnewby
                        Rock

We are still dealing with the snow and ice here the snow on the streets is melting a little every day then then the streets are iced back up every night and morning. Everyone is getting to practice up on their winter driving skills. Nice looking fireplace you are putting together.
                        It is done, me and the wife are gonna sip ****tails and watch the weather.
                        ROCK

Comment

Here it is guys, it is done, and me and the wife are gonna drink some ****tails sitting by the fire.
                          ROCK

Comment

I will attempt to download patio fireplace
                            ROCK

Comment

Working...
                            X