cutting ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cutting ?

What are you guys using to cut your metal? Not wanting to spend the amount of money for a cutting torch set, me and a friend bought a delta cross cut saw with a metal cutting grinder style blade made for it. after set up and getting the new blade on, we find the cutting blade cuts at 1/4 inch and the blade is only about an 1/8 inch thick. any ideas guys we are lost here....?

Mike P.
    Mike
    www.weldingbymike.4mg.com

There is a pretty long thead on "cutting steel" from mid-November. Lots of ideas and variations.
    Bob

Comment

Sounds like the cutting wheel is wobbling or the axis of the motor shaft is not perpendicular to the work surface. In either case you should be able to see the problem with a square and manually rotating the wheel.
      Bill C
      "The more I learn about welding the more I find there is to learn..."

Comment

Any kind of chop/cut-off type saw will have some wobble in it. The bigger the blade the more wobble there is. As long as you are getting straight cuts, and the saw does not feel as if it is vibrating excessively (as in a bearing that is bad) than I would not worry about the slight difference in blade width and actual cutting width. You will have some waste in whatever it is that you cut. This happens with a cutting torch too by the way. These types of saw blades are not like a metal blade cutting through wood. Just take into account the amount of steel that the blade takes out when it cuts.

Comment

Thanks Guys, youve been a help.
          Mike
          www.weldingbymike.4mg.com

Comment

Working...
          X