X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sberry
    started a topic Spring tension

Spring tension

I was kind of looking for a spring that pullled a certain amount of weight, like 50# with no stretch till that amount is applied,, is there a spring site somewhere?

• MAC702
    replied
    Originally posted by sknate View Post
    Good job! You brought it back to life! It's a zombie thread now...
    He was remarking about a spam post (since deleted) that resurrected the thread. He didn't.

Spam should be reported with the report button, and NOT replied to, further bumping it.

Leave a comment:

• sknate
    replied
    Originally posted by turbo2ltr View Post
    14 years. I think that might be a new record for necro posting. lol.
    Good job! You brought it back to life! It's a zombie thread now. It's cool how the web team never deleted this, but it is a good resource for us visitors who are looking for references/help.

Leave a comment:

• sknate
    replied
    Some of the links in here didn't work when trying to open. I did find a spot that had extensive information for small springs, medium springs, and very large industrial springs. This site has a Request For Quote feature which can be sent to many spring manufacturers all at once, so it won't take much of your time to contact more than one manufacturer/supplier. I'd send out a question like this in the RFQ and you might get several quick replies, faster and more reliable information than here.

Leave a comment:

• Sberry
    replied
    I dont have a clue about what I was working on.

Leave a comment:

• wayne50
    replied
    I've ordered springs from Mcmaster Carr. Their website will help you figure out what you need. I glanced at the site and saw one for 60 lbs. with hooks on the end. It was a pretty big spring.
    Last edited by wayne50; 07-12-2018, 12:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• turbo2ltr
    replied
    14 years. I think that might be a new record for necro posting. lol.

Leave a comment:

• bomberz1qr20
    replied
    Originally posted by turbo2ltr
    Wow, this is mind boggling.

According to the page that Bill posted, the rate would [edit]increase[/edit] (I need a math lesson) if you removed coils with everything else being the same.
    RATE and PRELOAD are two different things.

Preloading a spring means that a force proportionate or greater to the preload is needed to compress or stretch the spring further.

Rate is how much stronger the resistance a spring will give as it is compressed.

Confused yet??

Spring rate can be linear or progressive. A linear rate means the resistance remains relatively even as the spring is compressed. Progressive means the resistance increases at a progressive rate as the spring is compressed. (ie the more you push/pull, the greater the resistance)

It REALLY get confusing with a spring with LINEAR and PROGRESSIVE rates wound into ONE SPRING! (look for tightly wound and loosely wound coils in the same spring.

I'm bad with the math, so dont ask. I have a headache!
    All this spring knowledge I've gained with bicycle suspension work. (spring rates and preload are CRUCIAL in mountain bike suspension tuning)
    Last edited by bomberz1qr20; 01-20-2004, 02:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Watch, clock, motion picture camera springs are sort of constant pressure springs. They are pretensioned wound and C holder is placed over spring then the spring is installed into camera was what I worked with mostly and the C holder removed. The pressure was fairly constant but increased some as spring was wound untill it bound coils togeather.

Even better constant pressure spring was used in the recent wind up radios. That spring was wound up lets say clockwise and unwound onto another roll in opisit direction like it was laminated or something.

Leave a comment:

• turbo2ltr
    replied
    If you take it to the extreme, and remove all the coils...how springy is a solid peice of wire?

According to that page, the rate is inversely proportional to the number of coils with everything else being the same.

Each coil "gives" or moves a little for a particualr force (F). This distance is cumulative and you get how much the spring is displaced by adding all these little movements when F is apllied. If there are less coils, each coil still moves the same amount for the same F, but there aren't as many of the coils to move, so when you add all the movement up, it's less. Less movement, with the same load would be an increase in rate.

Ehh, right?

Leave a comment:

• turbo2ltr
    replied
    Originally posted by bomberz1qr20
    I think the spring preload would decrease proprtionate to the amount of preloaded length that was removed.
    Wow, this is mind boggling.

According to the page that Bill posted, the rate would [edit]increase[/edit] (I need a math lesson) if you removed coils with everything else being the same.

Last edited by turbo2ltr; 01-20-2004, 01:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bomberz1qr20
    replied
    Originally posted by Timinmb
    That threw me for a loop too, until you explained about the closed coil design with "preload". Now for the mind boggling (for me at least) question, Would the preload change if you cut the spring shorter? (Ie, buy a softer spring then tune it by shortening it?)
    I think the spring preload would decrease proprtionate to the amount of preloaded length that was removed.

Leave a comment:

• Sberry
    replied
    Yes Bill, I havnt looked at the sites yet and was going to look around and see if I had something in stock. I will look tonight at sites. I am running a simple control with a hyd cyl and I was wanting a saftey valve type of thing. If someone should muck up the adjustment during install I wanted some kind of stress relief instead of them bending all the brackets up. Under normal use the load is minor but if someone would set the initial length adjustment without enough relief in it there might be a disaster. The would be kind of,,, well,, idiot proofing.

Leave a comment:

• Timinmb
    replied
    That threw me for a loop too, until you explained about the closed coil design with "preload". Now for the mind boggling (for me at least) question, Would the preload change if you cut the spring shorter? (Ie, buy a softer spring then tune it by shortening it?)

Leave a comment:

• BillC
    replied
    Originally posted by turbo2ltr
    Ahh! Thank You. I get it now...

I never really think about springs in extention. Too used to dealing with car springs...

Good info!
    -Mike
    You are welcome, Mike. From what I understand, the initial tension is a characteristic of the manufacturing process, but is not usually a controllable variable. I guess if you wanted to pay a huge amount of money you could get a custom initial tension, but normally you get what they give you. I'm not sure that was what Sberry had in mind, but was all that I could think of...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X