Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by turbo2ltr
    Wow, this is mind boggling.

According to the page that Bill posted, the rate would [edit]increase[/edit] (I need a math lesson) if you removed coils with everything else being the same.
    RATE and PRELOAD are two different things.

Preloading a spring means that a force proportionate or greater to the preload is needed to compress or stretch the spring further.

Rate is how much stronger the resistance a spring will give as it is compressed.

Confused yet??

Spring rate can be linear or progressive. A linear rate means the resistance remains relatively even as the spring is compressed. Progressive means the resistance increases at a progressive rate as the spring is compressed. (ie the more you push/pull, the greater the resistance)

It REALLY get confusing with a spring with LINEAR and PROGRESSIVE rates wound into ONE SPRING! (look for tightly wound and loosely wound coils in the same spring.

I'm bad with the math, so dont ask. I have a headache!
    All this spring knowledge I've gained with bicycle suspension work. (spring rates and preload are CRUCIAL in mountain bike suspension tuning)
    Last edited by bomberz1qr20; 01-20-2004, 02:53 PM.

Comment

14 years. I think that might be a new record for necro posting. lol.

Comment

I've ordered springs from Mcmaster Carr. Their website will help you figure out what you need. I glanced at the site and saw one for 60 lbs. with hooks on the end. It was a pretty big spring.
        Last edited by wayne50; 07-12-2018, 12:32 PM.
        Miller Challenger 172
        Hobart AC/DC Stickmate
        Older Sears AC stick machine

Comment

I dont have a clue about what I was working on.
          http://www.facebook.com/cary.urka.urkafarms

Comment

Some of the links in here didn't work when trying to open. I did find a spot that had extensive information for small springs, medium springs, and very large industrial springs. This site has a Request For Quote feature which can be sent to many spring manufacturers all at once, so it won't take much of your time to contact more than one manufacturer/supplier. I'd send out a question like this in the RFQ and you might get several quick replies, faster and more reliable information than here.

Comment

Originally posted by turbo2ltr View Post
              14 years. I think that might be a new record for necro posting. lol.
              Good job! You brought it back to life! It's a zombie thread now. It's cool how the web team never deleted this, but it is a good resource for us visitors who are looking for references/help.

Comment

Originally posted by sknate View Post
                Good job! You brought it back to life! It's a zombie thread now...
                He was remarking about a spam post (since deleted) that resurrected the thread. He didn't.

Spam should be reported with the report button, and NOT replied to, further bumping it.

Comment

Working...
                X