root plow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• root plow

I am thinking of taking on a big project , biulding a root plow to go behind a cat d7 dozer. Have any of you guys ever done anything like this and if so do you have any tips or information such as blade pitch, etc. etc. These things cost anywhere from 8k to 10k when you can even find them in our area. I do intend to try to find one to look at and then go from there. I also have a john deer 755 crawler that I would like to take the bucket of and biuld a grubber for it any help there would be of great help.

Thanks in Advance
    fred
    doin the best I can with what I got

root plow

Fred

is this similar to a subsoiler ???

I saw some plans for a sub soiler in a welding project book I got last week... as well as some other agr. stuff... if your interested I could fax a copy to you... Might give you some ideas that you could build on... probably need to be beefier behind a dozier...

john
    My "project truck" has turned into 'garage art' !!!

Comment

subsoiler???

John I don't know what a subsoiler is but a root plow is a massive semi flat blade that is attached to a dozer and takes to the ground as you drag it. The blade goes under any trees that you go over ( in my case mesquite) and severs the root system. you can see a picture of what I am talking about at this link http://www.davemontgomery.com/Used_Equipment.html it about half way dow the page and is attached to the back of a komatsu dozer

fred

Comment

wow .. are you going to make one that big skinner ?? that's some serious steel on that thing !

here's the pic that skinner was refering to:

- jack

Comment

root work

Fred...

a sub soiler is similar.... used behind a tractor (usually one tooth, it takes some serious h.p. to pull it...) to break up the ground 18-24" deep.. for heavily compacted soil..

that thing you want could seriously effect rotational speed of the earth if it hangs !!

I'll be glad to fax the plans if you think they might help... email me a fax @ and I'll send tomorrow...

BTW what does that "V" shaped blade do that is mounted on the front of the Komatsu ???

john

[email protected]
          My "project truck" has turned into 'garage art' !!!

Comment

That looks like a root rake on the front of that Komatsu.
            That is some kind of huge root plow on the back of that baby. My John Deere 420 (30 Hp) would be hard pressed to drag that!
            moT
            moT

Comment

yea its big

The one I am going to biuld is actually going to be bigger than that one, it will be going on a 285 hp dozer with a 15 ' wide front blade. Don't tell anyone but I am just looking for an excuse to buy the mother of all welders. That spray transfer bussniess has really had my attention lately, and we have been looking buy a root plow and cant find one for less that 10,000.00 So if I can biuld one and save enough to offset the cost of the new machine I will kill two birds with one stone.

Comment

Been reading old posts, wondering if you finished your project and if you had pictures.

Comment

I have built several of them over the years for different tractors. Welding them up is not a big problem with dual shield wire. The main thing you will have to consider is the pins, bushings and bosses that they fit in. It is very hard to keep them true enough for a proper fit. I usually weld all that stuff together and then line bore it true afterwards. It is doable and if done right will look like a factory job. Ripping rock with a D-9 is a wjole lot harder that cutting off a few tree roots and have built them before. Even added a push block to one so if the 9 couldn't pull it you could push it with another one to help it along. It amazes me sometimes that it has never broke.

Comment

Is this going to be mounted or a trailing machine, it sounds a lot like what is
                    called a blade plough in Australia.
                    Also what model D7 are you going to use.

R W

Comment

Working...
                    X