• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cwby
    replied
    Originally posted by Garfield View Post
    That is a very cool trailer.
    I bought one new about 10-15 years ago.
    The wood deck has long sense rotted away.
    I want to replace the decking with metal, or do like Bug n 67 did and just fill in a foot or so wide where the wheels will be.
    Looks like he used wood.
    I want to go with metal.
    My problem is finding the metal.
    From the few local sources in my area 2 pieces of metal the right size would cost more than I paid for the trailer.

BTW any one know what thickness metal you should use when replacing wood on a trailer?
    I don't think the wood is actually structural.
    If once I get the wood peeled off it doesn't have enough braces for my liking I can add some more.
    I would love checker plate but can not find a local source for it.
    C purlin. 4" is same thickness as 2x6. 6" is 1/4" thicker.

Leave a comment:

• Garfield
    replied
    That is a very cool trailer.
    I bought one new about 10-15 years ago.
    The wood deck has long sense rotted away.
    I want to replace the decking with metal, or do like Bug n 67 did and just fill in a foot or so wide where the wheels will be.
    Looks like he used wood.
    I want to go with metal.
    My problem is finding the metal.
    From the few local sources in my area 2 pieces of metal the right size would cost more than I paid for the trailer.

BTW any one know what thickness metal you should use when replacing wood on a trailer?
    I don't think the wood is actually structural.
    If once I get the wood peeled off it doesn't have enough braces for my liking I can add some more.
    I would love checker plate but can not find a local source for it.

Leave a comment:

• Miroku
    replied
    I joined this site just to compliment Bug_N-67's 9 year old post: GREAT job on the trailer for your bug! I've been scouring the classified both FB Mktplace and CL looking for something similar for our 1949 Beetle. Would love one like yours!

Leave a comment:

• Northweldor
    replied
    Originally posted by bug_n_67 View Post
    So trailer is all done. I ended up finding a drop axle on sale that I didn't need to cut. Spent $100 over my $500 figure, so not to bad.[ATTACH]36237[/ATTACH][ATTACH]36238[/ATTACH]
    To preserve show quality on your VW, you need to fill the insides of those fenders.

Leave a comment:

• bug_n_67
    replied
    So trailer is all done. I ended up finding a drop axle on sale that I didn't need to cut. Spent $100 over my $500 figure, so not to bad.Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-11-01 13.41.49.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	665631Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-11-09 16.41.51.jpg
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	665632

Leave a comment:

• fj5gtx
    replied
    you'll need fenders, license plate holder with lamp, metal prep, primer, top coat.... you going with auto paint or cheap enamel?

I put a reverse lamp on mine, invaluable when backing into a space in the dark - hooked up to the reverse pinout on the trailer connector. works great.

you'll want to consider where your d-rings go, and get 10k straps that clip into those nicely and don't drag on the paint job.

trailers in the USA need to have that 3 lamp clearance light across the back, don't know what Canada specs....

those tires rated for the weight you're carrying? usually only want "trailer tires" on a trailer...

Leave a comment:

• bug_n_67
    replied
    So what I have already
    Steel-$283.50
    3500Lbs Axle and springs-$160
    Class III hitch-$20
    Tires and rims I got for $40 (used of course for that price)
    Lights and wire is stuff I have sitting around from other projects.
    So I think I'll be pretty close to that mark, I hope anyways :-)

Leave a comment:

• Dale M.
    replied
    Keep a spread sheet, and get back to us on how close you came to completing it for $500... Any yes I mean account for ever screw, nut and washer....

Dale

Leave a comment:

• bug_n_67
    replied
    Ya I was talking the big expense stuff but that $500 is everything but ramps that I need to build after I see my deck height.

Leave a comment:

• fj5gtx
    replied
    With the steel, axle, lights I'm looking at under $500 to build this myself, I did find this and was able to get hold of him for some measurements.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]36097[/ATTACH]
    Have you included: tires, wheels, fenders, springs, jack, tongue, safety chains, D rings, ramps, etc...

Leave a comment:

• bug_n_67
    replied
    With the steel, axle, lights I'm looking at under $500 to build this myself, I did find this and was able to get hold of him for some measurements.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	1049903.jpg
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	665558

Leave a comment:

• Dale M.
    replied
    http://www.carsontrailer.com/subs/ca...ar-hauler.html

Usually start about $1,500....

Dale
    Last edited by Dale M.; 09-24-2013, 10:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bug_n_67
    replied
    What I have in mind. 14' length, 2' of that dovetail, 5' tongue, still thinking about a moveable axle. Axle at the 9' area which would put it at the jack point of the Beetle and I should have about 2' of movement in the car on the trailer for tongue weight up or down.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer.jpg
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	665557
    Attached Files
    Last edited by bug_n_67; 09-24-2013, 07:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• fj5gtx
    replied
    Just trying to keep the costs down, single axle as appose to dual, 14' as appose to 18'. And to tell you the truth I'll be 50 next year and the only times I've needed a trailer is to move a Beetle, across town or to a show. So a perfect size fit is okay with me. Saying that I did start with a plan to only make it 10' to start with but have moved up to the 14'. The car has a short wheel to wheel base, like 8' center to center.
    Have a friend that buys a 16ft dual axle every 4 years, sells the old one for about what he paid for it. Basically he gets new tires for less than the cost of new tires... trailer itself is free. I'm just not as smart as he is, mine needs painted now - its a 2005 model.

Resale is something you may want to consider, recoup your investment down the road.... would be easier to sell a general purpose trailer. Just sayin'...

By the way, that friend, is in his 60s and still going strong in the car hobby...

Leave a comment:

• bug_n_67
    replied
    Just trying to keep the costs down, single axle as appose to dual, 14' as appose to 18'. And to tell you the truth I'll be 50 next year and the only times I've needed a trailer is to move a Beetle, across town or to a show. So a perfect size fit is okay with me. Saying that I did start with a plan to only make it 10' to start with but have moved up to the 14'. The car has a short wheel to wheel base, like 8' center to center.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X