Bending Brake Thanks Dan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bending Brake Thanks Dan

I finally am getting around to posting a couple of pictures of the brake I made. Note it may look a little different but I used what scrap pieces I had laying around. Thanks Dan and Rocky for the nice project it was fun.

Another picture of it. I figured if I slapped some pretty paint on it might help to cover some not so pretty welds.
    Last edited by gnewby; 11-21-2002, 10:46 PM.

Comment

EXCELLENT! I love the paint job. I haven t painted mine yet, but I think I ll go with purple and black. Don t be so worried about your weld quality that will come with time. From what I can see of your welds they look like they should be good enough to hold this project together. The only times that I actually even judge the quality of someones weld are if they ask me to, or when the structure there welding on could potentially cause serious injury to someone if it failed, and the last time is if they are bragging about there weld quality.

I really appreciate the fact that Hobart changed there website format so that it allowed me to share this project with my fellow weldors - hobbiest or professionals.

I would also like to say congradulations to you. You just built a very useful peice of shop equipment for next to nothing in cost. Similar sized machines to this one that are made from structural steel shapes too, sell for around $200.

I can t remember right now if I ever mention that the design of the brake is such that a 90 degree bend in 1/8" material is about the maximum degree of bend that you will be able to acheive. With this design it is actually quite easy to tell when the bend is close to 90 degrees, because it becomes very difficult to bend the peice any further.

How well does you machine work? The layout on this machine has to be very precise, so it is a great little project for the hobbiest to improve there layout skills on.

It would be nice in the future to see a project or two posted that used this little machine somewhere in the fabrication process.

In closing, I would like to state that I am really enjoying the fact that some of you guys are making this machine and posting pictures of it. Thanks alot you guys, I had alot of time invested into getting this project on the site, and you guys are making me thankful that I took the time to do it. Im patiently waiting to see another.

Dan
      MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
      Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Comment

I tried out the bender some before I ended up painting it and I was happy with the way that it worked. I was bending some 1/8" material with it. I tend to overweld most of my projects but I don't have to worry about any of them failing afterwards. I have been welding some with stick welders for years but have just been using the mig welders for the past couple of years. I recently purchased the HH 175 as I have really enjoyed the mig welding and was using the old stick welder only whenever the material was to heavy for my little 135 amp welder.

Comment

Dan,

I think there are two more of your benders in work, one being mine. Bad news is I don't think the spirits will give me much time to work on it this weekend. Good news is I may have a better camera later on; current one does not focus close enough for details that I would like to show.
          But Thank YOU, I am having fun.

Bob

Thinking I would like a thread tapping stand instead of free handing taps. Might be more of a machine project than welding. Any thoughts on a design.

Comment

DAN

There is another bender in the works also. I just don't have the time to move forword with it right now. Have most of the materials gathered and will actually start on it when welding school is over with at the local college; about another 4 weeks. Between running the ranch and school I don't have much time left.
            Harold
            And oh yes, thanks for a great project It will have a lot of usage around here.
            Harold
            Craftsman Colormatic AC
            Victor Journyman Setup
            Syncrowave 180 SD
            MM210 With Spoolgun
            Dynasty 200 DX
            Spectrum 625 Plasma Cutter
            Miller HD Tape Measure

Comment

Hey Dan. What's the next project?

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Bob
                Dan,

I think there are two more of your benders in work, one being mine. Bad news is I don't think the spirits will give me much time to work on it this weekend. Good news is I may have a better camera later on; current one does not focus close enough for details that I would like to show.
                But Thank YOU, I am having fun.

Bob

Thinking I would like a thread tapping stand instead of free handing taps. Might be more of a machine project than welding. Any thoughts on a design.
                The one I have was a machineing project, Bob. Just a 1" x 3" x 4" and has four holes perpendicular to the mating surface, the siz of tap drills. Just clamp it to the material and drill through it. After the holes were drilled in the block, and each hole identified with the drill size, it was heat treated, to reduce wear. A tapping block is the same, only the holes are bigger for the tap to turn through. I didn't build one of those, cause I figured the tap would line up by itself.

Comment

SEE DAN.........I TOLD YOU MAKE IT HAPPEN AND PEOPLE WOULD MAKE IT............... ..............DON'T YOU JUST LOVE THIS FORMAT...................I TOO THINK IT IS TIME FOR ANOTHER PROJECT....................SO WHO IS GOING TO STEP UP AND VOLUNTER A PROJECT..........SO WHAT SHALL IT BE............ROCK
                  [email protected]

Comment

Rocky D,

I was thinking of the tap stand that has a vertical spindle with a "T" handle and a drill chuck. Then realized it looks a bit like the drive shaft of a tubing notcher ... so why not one tool to do both. Design in my head has at least four parts to make with Dan's bender if can ever get it done.

Bob

Comment

Working...
                    X