My New Bench

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My New Bench

Here is the new bench that I have been working on. I'm not sure that something like this is ever done, (I'm still thinking about a drop leaf.) I have it set up to move about the shop in wheelbarrow fashion. Two 12" cast iron wheels on one end. The frame is 1.5x1.5.1/8 tube, and the top is 1/8 sheet. I made it thin so that it would keep the weight down. I can easily grind the top off and replace it if need be. Bolted a six inch vise to one end, and put a for square receptacle and cord on the other end. The lower shelf holds my grinders and tools.
    Arbo & Thor (The Junkyard Dog)
    The Next Loud Noise You Hear Is Me!

Here is a holder for my MIG gun that I put on all four corners of the bench. It is just a piece of 1" pipe cut about 1.5" long and welded to each corner.

Comment

Did you ever get into one of those pickles where you have a lit torch in your hand and you have to put it down for something? Well that gun holder works great for that too!

Comment

Finally, I added two fold away handles on the end without the wheels. The go in under the bench when not in use, that way you don't walk into them accidentally. They also make a great place to put your ground clamp.

Comment

nice table

Nice table Arbo,

But I'd need more handle than you show to move it around, especially with that big vice on the handle end. You must be stronger than me...

Love the wheels... looks like wheels from an old loading dock float ???

john
          My "project truck" has turned into 'garage art' !!!

Comment

Arbo,
            I like the work table, it looks very useful. One question tho: Was there a reason you put that heavy vise on the end you pick up? Not being critical, just wondered.
            Here's a photo of the Land Rover truck you asked about in one of my posts. Not me in the seat, it's the former owner.
            Later,
            Mike Pado

Comment

Arbo,

Love them wheels! I put hard rubber wheels on mine, I think metal wheels would have been better. The foto with the burning torch shows how helpful and safe those torch holders are.
              It's not an optical illusion...it just looks like one

Comment

The vise does add some weight, but you'd be surprised how easy it moves. I put the vise on that end because I wanted to keep it away from the electrical outlet on the other end. I use a portaband to do my cutting, and didn't want the metal filings falling all over the outlet when I cut in the vise.

Comment

nice bench arbo !

what kind of porta-band do you have ?

i'm currently borrowing a portercable but have used a milwaukee variable speed one also. both have their pros/cons it seems ...

- jack

Comment

I'm using the Milwaukee deep cut. I can cut 4" square tube no problem with it. The only thing I don't like is the fact that it is very difficult to get a nice square cut with it. I can't complain though. I picked it up used for $50.00 and have about $25.oo worth of parts in it to rebuild it. The parts are readily available from any Milwaukee service agent. If you call them, they will fax you a parts breakdown on the machine. I have gotten great service.

Comment

milwaukee saw

Arbo...

I've got the same saw and the same problem... I thought it was just me... bad saw cuts are just one of the many features of the Milwaukee saw, I guess... but that puppy will sure cut !!!

john
                      My "project truck" has turned into 'garage art' !!!

Comment

Arbo,

In the first pix, is that the $18 angle grinder from HF? I could not resist at that price. It may not last like the more expensive ones, but it sure works good for what I need. Who knows, as a hobbist, my interest might shift is a year or two to ... ?

Bob

Comment

Bob,

You're right. That's the Chicago Electric from HF. I only use it to run a flap disk most of the time. It gives a great finish look on my ornamental stuff. Every now and then I put a type 27 on it if I can't get at something with the seven inch Milwaukee.

Comment

They sell saw stands that will help get square cuts from hand held band saws. Shouldn't be hard to make one eather.
                            That way you can have hand held saw or square cuts as needed.

Comment

Working...
                            X