is anyone building anything

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is anyone building anything

Come on guys I know someone is biulding something out there I look forward to comeing home at night and checking this site out just to see what you guys have been up to!! I guess everyone is setting in for winter or something. As much as I like Shermans' Harly I can only look at it so many times without setting into depression caused by envy!!

Maybe you guys at Hobart need to come up with plans for something and then we could see everyones version of it as they build it.
    doin the best I can with what I got

Well I guess someone has to be first, it ain't much but I needed some welding practise and something functional.

Our Rubbermaid wheeled trash containers were always flipping over in windy rainey weather. I needed a place for three containers that was strong and could be moved later on when we have a deck built. The containers just roll up to it, hop on and the far flip down handle catches on the metal upright to secure it. Problem solved.
    It's not an optical illusion...it just looks like one

Comment

Another angle

Comment

Now I just got to paint the thing.

Comment

I'm working on the mother of all welding tables. I added some gadgetry that I thought would come in handy. As soon as I get it finished, I will post some pics. I needed one with lots of room, yet protable. I'll let you know when it's done. Probably a few days yet.
          Arbo & Thor (The Junkyard Dog)
          The Next Loud Noise You Hear Is Me!

Comment

One more shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Al T.
              One more shot.
              Al, that is pure genius!!! Great job, well done!

Comment

Ok, I'll post a couple of metal projects. One is picture frames the other is curtain rods and the third is a bit bizarre, a steel fountain head for my water garden.

The picture frames are an experiment and look like one too. I'll post pics tomorrow of my sorry welding. I don't have one of those SD things like Mojunk and I'll make sure that the resolution on the pictures to come is bad enough to improve my perceived skill. One issue I have is being able to keep the paintings tight in the frame. Thought about magnets but haven't been pressured by the wife to complete them so I haven't figured it out yet Yep, they'll be heavy picture frames.

The curtain rods are for the Mother-in-Law and I have been motivated to complete these. They will be simple 1/2" solid stock and I think I'll weld some fence top ferules on the ends to make them look pretty. That should keep me in good graces for a few more weeks. I'll post pics in a few days.

The last and most fun project will be a fountain head for my water garden. I like to call it sculpture cause it sounds more expensive but in reality it's just some scrap pipe and sheet steel made to look fancy. One of my neighbors, who is retired, is helping me with the design and I know that will be more of an adventure than making the project itself. It's way too complicated to explain here I'll just post some pics when its done.

Now I just need the time to get it done!
                Duke

Comment

I'm building a Chrysler Hemi V-8 powered welder from a Lincoln SAE-400 motor-generator welder and an engine that I bought 23 years ago.
                  When I'm done I should be able to weld 1" plate in one pass with no edge prep.
                  I'll also be able to generate 220 and 440 volt three phase with it.
                  I'm currently looking to find a constant voltage add-on adapter so I can use this for short-arc mig, and be able to weld the smaller stuff with it also.
                  Welder output specs are better than 700 amps at 30 arc volts.
                  I'd also like to find an add-on high frequency stabilizer-starter for tig use on aluminum.
                  I've got the machine just about finished with the exception of final assembly and paint.
                  This might not get finished until the spring , as some of my winter projects have got the shop pretty full.
                  work safe, always wear your safety glasses.

Edward Heimbach

Comment

I'm building several things, although most probably arent that interesting. This is the one I happen to have a picture of at the moment. Picture1

Picture2

Im also narrowing an axle or two and once thats done start suspension links and then set the drivetrain in the frame.

Comment

dysfunction,
                      The frame looks pretty neat, what vehicle are you building and how close to stock are you intending it to be? Wheelbase, etc.
                      Also what tubing bender do you use?
                      Glad to see there's a few wheelers on this board.
                      Later,
                      Mike

Comment

nice frame work dysfunction (it's mike isn't it ?) !!

wish I'd gone that route instead of cutting all the brackets off my Toyota heavy framed beast. If I had it to do over again I'd do what you did and make my own.

- jack
                        Last edited by morpheus; 11-19-2002, 08:27 AM.

Comment

I just finished up putting disk brake brackets on my rear 60
                          and I'm in the process of narrowing an axle as well.

here's a shot of my disk brake brackets, I bought the $7 aa-mfg brackets and modified with them with a piece of 3/8 plate welded all along the sides and a couple of spots in back to fit my odd application (a 6-lug semi floating 60).

- jack

Comment

Skinner:
                            This is so you will have something to read about tonight:
                            made a toilet paper holder out of 3" angle iron for the mens room in the basement. It's a mens room because the wife doesn't think I keep the area clean enough for her.
                            Signed,
                            Utility Welder

Comment

Originally posted by d110pickup
                              dysfunction,
                              The frame looks pretty neat, what vehicle are you building and how close to stock are you intending it to be? Wheelbase, etc.
                              Also what tubing bender do you use?
                              Glad to see there's a few wheelers on this board.
                              Later,
                              Mike
                              Origionally posted by morpheus
                              nice frame work dysfunction (it's mike isn't it ?) !!

wish I'd gone that route instead of cutting all the brackets off my Toyota heavy framed beast. If I had it to do over again I'd do what you did and make my own.

- jack

Thanks guys , it's actually the new frame for my 71 cj5. It's about 4" wider than stock and at 104" wheelbase its a full 2 feet longer. I have a JD2 model 3 bender. If I were looking again I'd likely lean towards the protools if I was buying a model 3 style.
                              Oh and morpheus, ya caught me my last build on my 5 I stripped the frame down and repaired all the cracks then boxed it. Took 3 days between prepping the frame, welding up all the cracks, making the plates and welding em on. Was way more work than it was worth. Took less than a day to build a frame from scratch. Definatley way easier. Looks like your rear axles coming along nicely. I still have to cut the ends off the 60 Im using and the torhed off tubes from a 14 bolt and swap em around.

mike
                              Last edited by dysfunction; 11-19-2002, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X