air compressor tank modification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• air compressor tank modification

..newbie welder question,have project and been thinking about modifying a 20 gallon air compressor tank from useing a electrical driven motor to a gasoline drivenn pump and need to make some welds on the air compressor tank for a platform for the gas engine.Is this okay to safely weld ? Any suggestions/advice or ideas as always appreciated-TIA

If at all possible, only weld on the existing mounting hardware. You must be certified on pressure vessel welding to weld on the tank. The welds could weaken the tank and cause a tank rupture. It goes without saying that this could ruin your day.
    Arbo & Thor (The Junkyard Dog)
    The Next Loud Noise You Hear Is Me!

Comment

Ditto Arbo,(and Thor, his junkyard dog). I am bonded and certified for this type of work, and to be honest with you , the amount of paperwork needed to comply to codes is amazing.
      I find it cheaper to condemn and scrap pressure tanks, than to repair and recertify. This being said, I know of many 'User modified' units in the field, the big question here is , who is responsible for the unit when it fails? Better to find a compressor
      set the way you need it.
      work safe, always wear your safety glasses.

Edward Heimbach

Comment

see Commandment #1 at www.awisco.com/ten.html and then apply the probable results to all tanks.
        All tanks are rockets and most of us are not rocket scientists.
        John

Comment

Hey John, I love that 'Ten Commandments' I'm gonna print it and frame it and hang it in the shop.
          work safe, always wear your safety glasses.

Edward Heimbach

Comment

Working...
          X