Trailer modification question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailer modification question

I have a question about modifying a tandem car trailer. It uses 1/4 inch angle iron, 3 inches by 1 7/8 inches for the perimeter rails. One around the bottom, and one spaced 9 1/2 inches above. I would like to remove the upper rail. What can I add to the bottom rail to replace the strength of the upper rail? A new trailer is of out of the question for now, I need an income first. The idea is to load cars and be able to get the door open.

Re: Trailer modification question

Originally posted by DonB
    I have a question about modifying a tandem car trailer. It uses 1/4 inch angle iron, 3 inches by 1 7/8 inches for the perimeter rails. One around the bottom, and one spaced 9 1/2 inches above. I would like to remove the upper rail. What can I add to the bottom rail to replace the strength of the upper rail? A new trailer is of out of the question for now, I need an income first. The idea is to load cars and be able to get the door open.
    Can you just lower the top rail just enough to clear the doors? If you could attach a picture it would help a lot.

Comment

Easy and cheap is to raise floor by laying 2ea 2X6 boards on each side making tracks.

Comment

Working...
      X