RV Gate Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RV Gate Project

Here is my second project. It is the project that I bought my MM130XP for. I convinced my wife that I could buy the welder and build the gate for less than just buying the gate.

Unfortunatley at that point she got design control, and added all of the extra tubing at the top. She wanted a Frank Lloyd Wright look. Don't tell her, but it looks a lot better than the gate I was going to build.

The gate is a bi-fold design so it takes up much less space when it's open. It added weight, but I like the looks and ease of use. The outer perimeter of each section is 1x2 14ga, and the rest is 1/2 square 16ga. The wood panels are cedar planed to 1/2 and attached with stainless hardware.

As you can see, I need to finish the posts. I need to finish welding and painting them. The gates were power coated, but I couldn't do that with the posts.

The first project with this welder was a new exhaust system for my 93 Suburban. I snuck that one in.

Jim
    Jim
    Madison, AL

Here is close up of the top.
    Jim
    Madison, AL

Comment

Excellent!

I like the clever integration of woodworking and metalworking. That is right up my alley. Dude got a welder and a planer, wife got a gate, world's a happy place!
      Proud Owner of the MM251 and Spectrum 375 Cutmate

Comment

Looks great!!
        Happy & Safe Welding.......Scott
        HH135
        Miller Auto Arc XLT 270

Comment

Nice job!

I really like the way you incorporated the wood into the gate. How did you fasten it to the metal? Did you paint or powdercoat?>?
          Darrin Morgan

Comment

wow! that is really a nice project. Good job Jim!

How heavy is it ?

- jack

Comment

Great looking gate. The straight lines in it are wonderful. Looks really clean and well made. Good Job!
              Art is dangerous!
              www.PiedmontIronworks.com

Comment

Very cool gate, that's the kind of thing we need more of. Nice, clean, design...good job...
                Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
                Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
                Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
                Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Comment

JIM KINNEY...............Nice Job.............Your wife whould be delighted...............

Be Safe..........................Rock..
                  [email protected]

Comment

Thanks for the kind words. It was a fun project and really looks great.

Ironworker: I used stainless machine screws into horizontal straps. The gate sections are powdercoated and cost about $50 per section.

Morpheus: Each section weighs about 80lbs with the wood.

Jim
                    Jim
                    Madison, AL

Comment

really nice work. simple, elegant design.

good deal for both of you.
                      T/A 185

Comment

Here is a view from the back. I meant to put it in the last post, but the phone rang and I hit send by accident.

Jim
                        Jim
                        Madison, AL

Comment

Just a pointer here for you young guys; When you relinquish design control to the wife in exchange for a new piece of equipment, you want to tell her how nice it would be if she'd help you with the project, and how much more she'd enjoy the completed project cause she helped build it.
                          Then, you tell her how she can cut all the pieces while you jig it up and tack weld.
                          If done right, this will get you the equipment, and you'll get design control back by the third cut she has to make. Generally, you can use the material she cut for something.
                          Do NOT employ this method when it comes to wallpaper!!

Comment

Wife as a helper

I can sure empathize with the wife helping out. The last staircase I did I had my wife measure out the distance the handrail was away from the wall. Well to make it brief it ended up being a half inch further than what i wanted and she got totally mad at me and told me I should have done it myself!!..............****ed if you do and ****ed if you dont! I ended up having to unscrew it from the floor and repairing the marks and holes it made in the ladies brand new hardwood 7 grand floor.

But non the less, I am making a gate and security door for a guy this week and will send pics on progress. Thanks to all on here who send pictures and words of encouragement to others. It is nice.
                            Darrin Morgan

Comment

nicely done Jim...I am always looking for ways to use both wood and metal together...if I could use a gate I would copy yours...looks FLW to me.

one thing...I have never used cedar...do you think it might cup with just one screw per board? If it does`nt...then it will never split either with one screw.
                              It's a poor mind that can think of only one way to spell a
                              word." -- Andrew Jackson (1829-1837)

Comment

Working...
                              X