Lead weight conversion by volume/ boat anchors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lead weight conversion by volume/ boat anchors

The administration at work has come up with this plan to for a boat anchor for a dive boat. I think they picked a size that looks good without realizing how much it will weight, I am thinking it is going to be much to heavy. Does anyone know how I can figure the weight of this anchor before I build it and fill it with lead? A picture should be attatched.

It is designed to lower through the center of a dive boat, and I diver will use it as a search base, he will use the shaft as an axis for his search pattern. It has to be heavy enough to secure a boat and a diver, but still manegable.

Ok, I tried to attatch the drawing but it says the file is to large. Basically it is a box 20 inches square 10 inches high filled with lead. How much would it weigh. And how do I figure for a smaller box?

Lead weighs about .4 pounds per cubic inch.
    Your box is 20 x 20 x 10 = 4000 cubic inches.
    so the lead will weigh about 1600 pounds.

... I would guess another 100 pounds for the box itself and whatever lift ring/post/thing is going to carry this weight.

Bob

Added Later:
    Both my post and the one following assume solid lead ... purhaps melted and cast in the box.
    Since this is for divers, the intent might be ?? to build a box and then fill it with diving weights or some other form of loose lead objects. That would, of course, be lighter due to the spaces.
    Hope we helped.
    Last edited by Bob; 10-30-2002, 04:33 PM.

Comment

lead weight conversion

SIR,
      weight per cu. in. lead = .4096
      X 4000 cu. in. = 1638.4 pounds
      add to that the weight of the box.
      wlbrown

Comment

thanks

Well if everyone agrees this is the formula thank you very much. I didn't have any idea it would weigh this much. I am going to have to fall back and do some refiguring with this project.

Comment

Working...
        X