X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Royal Fe
    • Sep 2002

Desk

Have you ever gotten involved with a project that made you wish your mouth wasn't so big? Well, this is one of those projects. The welding was fun and the whole thing was a learning experience, even the warping that I guess I only know about.

This is a front shot of the one and only receptionist desk.
    Duke
  • Royal Fe
    • Sep 2002

I'll try again. I think my files are too big for the post.
    Duke

Comment

• Royal Fe
      • Sep 2002

Receptionist desk side view while being installed.
      Duke

Comment

• Royal Fe
        • Sep 2002

Desk from seft side with temporary top. The wood will be replace with 1/2" glass.
        Duke

Comment

• Royal Fe
          • Sep 2002

Last one.
          Duke

Comment

Duke, is your middle name "HEAVY DUTY" ? Man, you don't build anything in a small way, do ya!

Comment

• Old Man Stick
              GroundHog Sniper
              • Sep 2002

LOL WOW lookd like some of the things I find myself in the middle off.

Cool Looking desk. I like the front of it.
              Great Job

Just for the record my middle name is OverKill

>

OMS
              OMS
              HH175
              Red Tomstone W/ HF for TIG
              Old Miller Engine Driven 225 Amp AC Stick Welder
              Smith O/A X 2
              Harris O/A
              BridgePort
              MSC cut off BandSaw 6X12"
              And more!
              Shop Mechanic for Brinks Coin

Comment

• Hobart Expert Rock

ROYAL FE............. I TAKE IT YOU GOT A BUNCH OF TIME INTO THIS THEN DON'T YOU..................... I WOULD OF FIGURED FABRICATEING FROM THE PARTS (IN STOCK NOT HAVEING TO GO GET THEM) DRAW PLANS 6 HOURS............... WELD AND INSTALL 10-12 HOURS............MY GUESS ONLY................ DO YOU HAVE MORE THAN 30 HOURS IN IT......................"?...............ROCK[email protected]

Comment

• Bob
                  • Sep 2002

Would it be possible to get a close up of that front surface. It looks really interesting in the first photo, but I can't tell what is real and what is the digital photo artifact.

What is that finish called? Does it come like that or something you did?

Bob

Comment

• Will
                    • Sep 2002

Man-o-man! A bullet proof desk (literally!) Not sure what kind of office equipment the secretary has, but this will hold it! Let me guess...you put display samples on the desk....and your company is a Kenworth sales office!

Comment

• Royal Fe
                      • Sep 2002

Oh yeah! Mostly because I' had no experience or knowledge of what I was getting into.

The drawing was a sketch from a designer that knows fabric not steel. Your estimate was what I planned for the project about 30 or maybe 40 hours. The planning, locating, and pricing steel took about 10 to 12 hours. I had to get my supplier to roll the front panel and cut the 1/4" plate for the top and middle shelf. The back pieces are fabricated also and they had to make them on their brake. Three trips to the supplier and I hadn't started yet. The welding was pretty quick, 8 to 10 hours but the finish was a nightmare. I don't have heavy duty power tools so I burned up two Harbor Freight specials and went through many disks of sand paper and grinding wheels. I hit the pawn shops the week after finishing the project to find the heavy duty tools I needed but it was too late to help with the desk. I think about a total of 30 or 40 hours on the finish alone. I phased into the Twilight Zone and quit counting days somewhere about half way through finishing the front. The installation was pretty quick about 1.5 to 2 hours, that went pretty fast because the Receptionist was cute and kept bringing us water. I guess total inexperienced time involved was 60 to 70 hours but that felt like an eternity. I guess the next one would be pretty close to your estimate of 30 hours.

I kept hearing myself saying "sure, I can build that" with that big ol' ignorant grin. About half way through grinding and sanding the face I was mumbling "You Dumb A. what did you get yourself into". I guess it was worth it when I stood back and had that satisfaction of looking at the finished product. In addition, some good lessons about design, fabrication, and properties of steel were learned and I developed a lot of respect for the people out there that do estimates for shops. The knowledge required for this skill is incredible. This forum, actually the old one, was a big help also. Thanks for setting this thing up and I love the ability to include pictures. Thanks Hobart and others that helped!

Rocky D, I guess my motto is "If you don't need help movin' it, why bother makin' it" Kinda like your spray arc project... WOW!
                      Duke

Comment

• Royal Fe
                        • Sep 2002

Bob
                        The finish was not there and it was a real pain getting it there. I tried everything to get through the outer layer but sand blasting and then using a low speed sander with 24 or 36 grit paper. I made vertical patterns of scratches and then coated with polyurethane. Oh it's real not a digital thing but it does reflect the hardwood floors finish.

The office is a lobbying firm, I guess lawyers need to protect themselves from drive by shootings! The secretary loves the thing because she uses magnets to hold messages all over it.
                        Duke

Comment

• Royal Fe
                          • Sep 2002

Bob, I can e-mail you a better quality photo, the original is too big to include on the board. Send me an email and I'll reply with the photo.

ifr230 AT bellsouth.net
                          Last edited by Royal Fe; 12-07-2004, 06:07 PM.
                          Duke

Comment

• Hobart Expert Rock

ROYAL FE........... ........... YES IT TOOK EXTRA TIME.......BUT YOU NOW HAVE A NICE GROUP OF PHOTO'S TO SHOW THE NEXT CLIENT, YOU CAN SHOW THE FINISHED PRODUCT, AND CAN GO BACK AND TAKE A PICTURE WITH THE 1/2 INCH GLASS ON IT WITH THE RECEPTIONIST SETTING THERE DOING HERE JOB........ AND HEY CHECK IT OUT YOU ALREADY HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT THE FINISH............. I DO BELIEVE YOU HAVE SPARKED SOMEONE'S INTEREST............AND THANKS FOR EXPLAINING ABOUT THE LIGHT DUTY GRINDERS......................... I LOVE IT WHEN SOMEONE HAS THE INCLINATION TO TACKLE SOMETHING THEY'VE NEVER DONE BEFORE............. DON'T FEEL BAD I TOO HAVE UNDERBID MANY JOBS BY MISTAKE.......... HAVEING NEVER DONE SOMETHING BEFORE IT'S IS EASY TO MAKE A MISTAKE.............. BUT JUST LOOK AT WHAT YOU LEARNED .................BE SAFE OUT THERE I DON'T THINK IT WILL FALL APART ..................ROCK
                            [email protected]

Comment

• Slagman
                              • Sep 2002

Good work there Royal! I love that modern look. It's artsy and very functional at the same time. Also, don't say you are in over your head, you soon just might be. If they have people come in and see the desk and end up liking it...........that's how word of mouth gets out. The thing that will sell you on this is the finish you did on the front portion. I'm imagining it in a sort of a brushed aluminum sort of way. One thing about building it heavy, or should I say extra heavy duty, is that it makes a good safe haven if you happen to be in an earthquake zone...... You know, depending on how the frame worked looked, that desk would look REALLY GOOD with a glass top on it.

Slagman

Comment

Working...
                              X