Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stilts close-up of not so good weld TIG

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Stilts close-up of not so good weld TIG

    A close-up of the welds. Not proud but I'm old.

  • #2
    oldone, what kind of machine do you have ?

    - jack

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by morpheus
      oldone, what kind of machine do you have ?

      - jack
      Jack; it's a Lincoln 175 square wave. Works real good. I use a air cooled LA9 Mag torch. "comes with the machine" It will do a super job on aluminum or stainless also. Just have to learn how to use it.

      Comment


      • #4
        thanks OldOne. sounds like a nice machine. unfortunately much more than I can afford ...

        - jack

        Comment


        • #5
          OLDONE........HECK DON'T GIVE UP THESE DAYS I WEAR TRI-FOGGLES AND ALSO USE A CHEATER LENSE IN MY HELMET..... TOUGH GETTING OLD ISN'T IT............... MY TIGS ARE SOMETIMES LIKE YOURS......... TRY THIS I'VE NOTICED IN THE MORNINGS I SEE BETTER THAN IN THE EVENINGS........... I ACTUALLY TIG (A LITTLE BETTER) IN THE EARLY MORNING 07:00 TO 10:00. OR PERHAPS I'VE HAD LESS COFFEE BY THIS TIME THAN LATER IN THE DAY...... OR PERHAPS I'M LESS STRESSED OUT............ JUST A THOUGHT CHANGE YOUR SCHEDULE A LITTLE AND SEE IF IT GET'S BETTER OR WORSE................. ROCK......... HAVE SOME FUNE WITH IT...
          [email protected]ERWELDS.COM

          Comment


          • #6
            It's harder welding around tube.
            How about straight & level does it get better?

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Stilts close-up of not so good weld TIG

              Originally posted by TheOldOne
              A close-up of the welds. Not proud but I'm old.
              TheOldOne

              Your doing a lot better then guys that I work with,and being able to TIG weld is in the job description.

              What is the wall thickness on this tube? What diameter of tungsten and filler rod are you using?

              On small diameter round tube I weld about a 1/4" to 1/2" (depending on the diameter), and then reposition the tube.

              The hardest thing to remember to do is to rotate your wrist as you travel so that you keep the tungsten at the proper angle to the surface of the tube.
              MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
              Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.


              PM 180C



              HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

              Comment


              • #8
                I'm a novice at this.

                Is a lazy susie table used to rotate the piece while holding the torch still? I guess that would only work for Mig, Tig sounds like it keeps both your hands too busy to use a rotating table.
                It's not an optical illusion...it just looks like one

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Al T.
                  I'm a novice at this.

                  Is a lazy susie table used to rotate the piece while holding the torch still? I guess that would only work for Mig, Tig sounds like it keeps both your hands too busy to use a rotating table.
                  They make a motorized rotating device that has a foot pedal. We have them at work that have a drill chuck on them and special plates that clamp into them to weld tubes of all sorts and configurations. The McMasterCarr website has a few of different sizes. They are used for SMAW, GTAW, AND GMAW.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Re: Stilts close-up of not so good weld TIG

                    Originally posted by Dan


                    TheOldOne

                    Your doing a lot better then guys that I work with,and being able to TIG weld is in the job description.

                    What is the wall thickness on this tube? What diameter of tungsten and filler rod are you using?

                    On small diameter round tube I weld about a 1/4" to 1/2" (depending on the diameter), and then reposition the tube.

                    The hardest thing to remember to do is to rotate your wrist as you travel so that you keep the tungsten at the proper angle to the surface of the tube.
                    Dan, the tubing is around 3/32" wall thickness. Using 1/16" tungsten and ER70S-6 rod. I was concerned more about strength than pretty. I'm sure it's strong enough but it sure wasn't pretty.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X