X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• boykjo
    started a topic pipe burner build instructions

pipe burner build instructions

(pic#1 and 2) 1" untested pipe. U can use black pipe but it's thinner and does not stand up to the heat and will rust and flake. Thread and cap end.

(pic#3 and 4) gas mixer is a 1" cap about $1.50. Drill (4) 1/4 inch holes on face of the cap and drill and tap the center for a 1/8 inch npt thread

Purchase a high pressure regulator. Heres one from amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=...ET6CHU3M5KOGTP

PRESSURE REGULATOR 360#189 ADJ. W/EXFLOW POLY 36" HIGH PRESSURE HOSE
    part #32832

In Stock

pic of hose end hpim0063.jpg
    Last edited by boykjo; 02-17-2010, 12:00 PM. Reason: added pic. end of regulator hose and part #

• Northweldor
    replied
    Originally posted by Edclay View Post
    He hasn’t posted on the site since January 2016, but I will send a pm to him. It makes sense reading the instructions, but as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words! Thank you for your reply to this zombie thread, I have a large trailer pit that burn wood and or charcoal but I am trying to add exactly what this thread is describing. Anyone else that has pictures of their pipe burner please post them.
    Many come, get what they want. and go. That's what an open forum is all about.

Leave a comment:

• Edclay
    replied
    He hasn’t posted on the site since January 2016, but I will send a pm to him. It makes sense reading the instructions, but as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words! Thank you for your reply to this zombie thread, I have a large trailer pit that burn wood and or charcoal but I am trying to add exactly what this thread is describing. Anyone else that has pictures of their pipe burner please post them.

Leave a comment:

• Northweldor
    replied
    Originally posted by Edclay View Post
    i apologize in advance for resurrecting this post from the dead, I have read all 12 pages and have been trying to view the pictures from the original post but they are not visible. I am a brand new member, this is my first post. Thanks!
    This is a problem, since many posters post to their own photo sites. rather than the thread, which often makes information useless in a short period of time. Perhaps someone else that built can help you, or even the original poster, if you pm him,

Leave a comment:

• Edclay
    replied
    i apologize in advance for resurrecting this post from the dead, I have read all 12 pages and have been trying to view the pictures from the original post but they are not visible. I am a brand new member, this is my first post. Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• mag1
    replied
    This has been a helpful post. But, I have a question. I have built a pipe burner for my BBQ/smoker, it has about 24” of flame length. I have a regulator from an older gas grill, (propane), I built a 2”-1” venturi from a bell reducer. My pipe is Ø1” black pipe. I drilled holes slightly larger than 1/16, as I was breaking too many, and switched to a different style of bit. The holes are 3/8” to ½” apart, 2 rows.
    My question has to do with the length of the flames. I have nice blue flames, but they are only about 1” long. Is my orifice to small, or to large? It is drilled at a #54 (.055”). Do I need to make it bigger or smaller so I can get a longer flame?
    Thanks for any input/help on this.

Leave a comment:

• Northweldor
    replied
    Originally posted by Coach Finn View Post
    First, i would like to thank everyone for the wealth of information that I have spent time reading...I have learned alot...but i got a few questions on where to start...
    I have a 120 gal tank that I am converting to a small cooker...I want to put to pipe burners in the bottom...
    What size ID/OD pipe should I use? 1"..1 1/4"...1 1/2" ?
    I want to cut slits with a portaband...thinking 1.5" apart? starting 8 inches from venturi?
    Also I want to use a venturi with an air adjust...also a valve to adjust gas flow...
    I guess bell reducers are the best way to go??
    any suggestions on sizes and parts for building something like this is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!
    In other words...if this was your build how would you build the burners????I would like to build my own unit...being that custom prebuilt units are expensive and funds are limited....(family of five on 2 teachers salary...in NC mind you..hahaha)
    PICS ARE VERY HELPFUL....Thanks ya"ll for any help..Coach
    I think the reason that no one has replied is because all of your questions are answered in the previous 11 pages, or, are your choice.

Leave a comment:

• Coach Finn
    replied
    Amateur pipe burner builder needs help

First, i would like to thank everyone for the wealth of information that I have spent time reading...I have learned alot...but i got a few questions on where to start...
    I have a 120 gal tank that I am converting to a small cooker...I want to put to pipe burners in the bottom...
    What size ID/OD pipe should I use? 1"..1 1/4"...1 1/2" ?
    I want to cut slits with a portaband...thinking 1.5" apart? starting 8 inches from venturi?
    Also I want to use a venturi with an air adjust...also a valve to adjust gas flow...
    I guess bell reducers are the best way to go??
    any suggestions on sizes and parts for building something like this is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!
    In other words...if this was your build how would you build the burners????I would like to build my own unit...being that custom prebuilt units are expensive and funds are limited....(family of five on 2 teachers salary...in NC mind you..hahaha)
    PICS ARE VERY HELPFUL....Thanks ya"ll for any help..Coach

Leave a comment:

• Northweldor
    replied
    Excellent job, and turned out very professionally!

Leave a comment:

• misfit138
    replied
    It is now complete

Just finished it up the other day a cooked 4 pork butts on and they came out great.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0828.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	665269

Name:	IMAG0815.jpg
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	665270

Name:	IMAG0818.jpg
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	665271
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• misfit138
    replied
    well I have put a adjustable regulator on and it has seemed to make a big differance, not sure of how much pressure i have because i have not gotten a gage yet. I have gotten a lot done in the past week or so. I did a test burn and worked great. I have two adjustable ports on either end and I am thinking that i need 1 or 2 more either on the front or the back or both. I hit 600 degrees with no problem and then had it throttled back to about 225 to 250 steady for about an hour. I still have to make drip pan and catch box to the outside into a bucket for grease/oil. Also need to make draw box for wood chips to smoke, set up igniter and figure out a way to hold lid up any ideas would be helpfull, make some stacks sandblast and paint. Im sure ill add a few more little things. Hopefully gonna test it out in the next couple of weeks. I just posted some pics of where i am at now. I mounted wheels, made new control valve manifold, and cut and mounted the bbq grate/grill area and added small work area on left side with intagrated handle for moving around. I would like to thank everyone who has posted to this thread. Any ideas are much appreciated. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• misfit138
    replied

Name:	IMAG0794.jpg
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	665250

Name:	IMAG0792.jpg
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	665251

Name:	IMAG0790.jpg
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	665252

Leave a comment:

• Northweldor
    replied
    Originally posted by misfit138 View Post
    Hello

New to the forum but have been surfing it for awhile now getting some nice info. A little about me. Im a machinist and welder by trade for the past 15 years. Im in the process of making a pig roaster out of a 275 gallon oil tank, which is comming out pretty nice so far. I have been working on the pie burner which is made from 1.500 I.D tube, burn length is about 52 inches long and the OAL length is 65 long, there are 2 rows of 0.090 dia holes drilled 0.500 apart. I just today finished the one to test and seemed to work ok but not enough pressure as my flame length is about 0.500 tops but nice and blue. I an using a standard bbq regulater which i though and is my problem. Any advice on one would be helpful. I machined the venturi out of 3.000 O.D x 1.000 I.D DOM with a 30 degree pitch to hopefully get the gas air mix nice. Here are some pics.What do you think. Any opinions.
    Your problem is probably what you diagnose, and an adjustable regulator might solve it. However, if your air intake is not adjustable as well, you might end up with longer fuel-rich flames and little increase in heat out-put. Another approach might be to use an adjustable regulator to feed two (or more) of these burners, which have an efficient flame proven.

Leave a comment:

• urch55
    replied
    Misfit,
    Your low flame might be because you have too many holes and too close together. Even tho I looks good from here.....You did a nice job....

Last edited by urch55; 02-20-2013, 07:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• misfit138
    replied
    Thanks for the help.

Hello

New to the forum but have been surfing it for awhile now getting some nice info. A little about me. Im a machinist and welder by trade for the past 15 years. Im in the process of making a pig roaster out of a 275 gallon oil tank, which is comming out pretty nice so far. I have been working on the pie burner which is made from 1.500 I.D tube, burn length is about 52 inches long and the OAL length is 65 long, there are 2 rows of 0.090 dia holes drilled 0.500 apart. I just today finished the one to test and seemed to work ok but not enough pressure as my flame length is about 0.500 tops but nice and blue. I an using a standard bbq regulater which i though and is my problem. Any advice on one would be helpful. I machined the venturi out of 3.000 O.D x 1.000 I.D DOM with a 30 degree pitch to hopefully get the gas air mix nice. Here are some pics.What do you think. Any opinions.

Name:	IMAG0768.jpg
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	665218

Name:	IMAG0770.jpg
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	665219

Name:	IMAG0772.jpg
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	665220
    Last edited by misfit138; 02-20-2013, 07:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X