Clear All

• Broccoli1
    replied
    This is a Good site

http://www.zoellerforge.com/

Leave a comment:

• uncrichie
    replied
    Boykjo, you still out there? I realize this is an older thread but I have a question. I see you are using an adjustable high pressure regulator. I went to that website you posted but they don't list the pressure adjustments. By chance do you remember what they might be. I'm looking to use something like that for a small blacksmithing furnace. Also your pipe burner design works very well for heating narrow bluing salt trays. Uncrichie.

Leave a comment:

• paulaner
    replied
    A really big "thank you" to boykjo!!!!

Have you ever tried a 2" diameter stainless burner?

How do you think it would work?

Wouldn't it change the hole diameter in the Gas Mix area?

And do you cook with the slots DOWNWARD?

Leave a comment:

• justired
    replied
    New here found this thread by "googleing" propane burner , building a cooker myself , oblong tank stood upright , rotisserie 2x16" sprokets at top 2x 12" sprokets at bottom , with a 120V 3rpm motor , thanks so much for the help with the burner, it will also have a smoke box,
    thanks
    rudy

Leave a comment:

• blumoon
    replied
    here is my 3 cents worth...I have used migwelding tips like off of a tweeco gun...they work good and are rather cheeeeeeeeeppp......easy to drill out too.....don't know if it will help

Leave a comment:

• Sberry
    replied
    Big ole commercial dishwashers had stainless tubes in them with the ideal slots already cut.

Leave a comment:

• mudbug
    replied
    Put the holes or slots to the bottom side of your burner pipe...That's the way my commercial restaurant char-broiler was made.

Leave a comment:

• bigred
    replied
    I am thinking of making something similar to this for a log igniter in my fire box.

anybody tried this??
    suggestions on what to do differently for an igniter?

my main concern is keeping the holes from getting plugged with ash.

Leave a comment:

• bitbreaker
    replied
    Burner Orifice

This is a really interesting thread , the burner idea and the smoker project are really great. Also, I can finally add something to the thread that that I have done.
    I have made a burner orfice using a Zerk fitting that is threaded for 1/8" NPT by grinding off the spring retainer from the threaded end and removing the spring and check ball. The 'nozzle, end becomes the orifice and you have 1/8" NPT on the other end to connect into whatever you make the mixer assembly from. Real easy and the price is right. My 2 cents.

Leave a comment:

• dsmith
    replied
    cookin'

Here is the promised picture of the first family BBQ on the new smoker
    Don

Leave a comment:

• whateg0
    replied
    Holy hamburger! You could feed an army off that thing!

Dave

Leave a comment:

• dsmith
    replied
    Hi Joe,
    The smoker is done and really came out well. We are doing a BBQ this weekend for the family and everyone is looking forward to it (of course we had to to do a practice BBQ last weekend). We wound up feeding each 5' tube burner from it's own propane tank. And then, turn only one on to cook with. The other burner will only be used if the tank on the first one runs out during a BBQ. One 5' burner easily keeps the temperature at 250 Deg. F. Trying to use both burners off of one tank with a "T" connection didn't work. When trying to light the second burner, the first one would go out. So we modified our design and will use only one burner at a time.Thanks for all your help
    Don

Leave a comment:

• dsmith
    replied
    Hi Joe,
    We have a single 1.5" hole in the bottom of the smoker for air input and for drippings. We added a sliding door on the back end so that we could regulate for more air, and also a place to enter our tin of hickory chips for smoke flavor. We will add more bottom holes if we find that we need even more air.
    I found that Franklin Machine sells brass 1/8" npt orifices that will work just fine. Their p/n 158-1111 is a #55 (and they have others). They are wholesale so one would need to find a retailer to buy from - there are some on the web. I will try my solder filled nipple first. Solder melts at about 380 degrees F, but I should be OK with mine located outside the smoker. Another option would be to braze rather than solder, that would raze the melting temp to over 800 deg F. We should be able to finish the smoker shortly, and I will post pictures.
    Thanks
    Don

Leave a comment:

• boykjo
    replied
    Good deal!

Remember, when you install your burner(s) you will need to ventilate the area around the burner. I drilled a 1 1/2" hole at the bottom of each end of the drum and installed a trap door in the middle. I also use the trap door to add wood chips. I have an expanded metal tray that lies across my burner to create the smoke.

Good luck with your cooker.................

Leave a comment:

• dsmith
    replied
    Hi Joe, All is well and I have blue flame. I filled the 1/8 NPT adapter at the burner tube, about 1/4 full with solder, and then drilled a center hole with a #55 drill (.055"). THe solder should hold up fine as it is well away from the burner slots , and is located outside of the smoker. This did the trick as you suspected. I am attaching pics. FYI, I also noted that the slots cut into the blackpipe with the band saw are the same width as a sawzall blade. Again, thank you for all your help. Don

Leave a comment:

Working...
X