pipe burner build instructions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yellow flame problem solved

Hi boykjo, Good how to on the burner build. I worked at a company for 12 years that repaired commercial kitchen equipment. Worked with LP, nat gas, steam and electrical equipment, was certified by CFESA as a master tech and have much experience in the field. So, if I may I would like to help the burner build a little. I would like to start by asking those who would like to build a burnner to look at the pictures I have posted and note the brass venturi that can be screwed on to a pipe and also do a google search on Bernoullis Principle, this will explain much of how a venturi works, with the lack of pressure and more velosity, a venturi will cause more suction and more o2 into the burner. This is the way most burners are built, the silver plate on the brass venturi is for the air adjustment. Most burners can be used with LP or nat gas just by changing air flow and the orffice size, larger hole for nat gas and smaller hole for LP. Nat gas works at 3" to 5" [water column] W.C. low pressure and LP works at 6" to 12" of W.C. higher pressure, which is less than one psi. So on with the build, you can take a pipe bell reducer, screw it on to the orffice end of the pipe, take two pieces of sheet metal to make the air adjusment [look at the picture], with the orffice in the center hole of the sheet metal not sticking in the bell reducer more than 1/2" to 3/4". For a 3/4" pipe you should use 1 1/2" to 2" to 3/4" bell reducer. This should work very well for ajusting air flow, to have a blue flame on your burner, orffice size will factor into this as well, most burners will have an ajustable orffice also, but not a must if you want to experment at drilling different orffice sizes, two other things to consider, 1. is that you do not want the flame to float off the burner, if it does you have to much pressure, orffice to large or gas pressure, to high, 2. you also want what is called secondary air around the burner, if you don't, you will have a lazy flame, a flame has to have air to burn good, Well, I hope this helps , have a good one, Jeff.
    Last edited by jeff-; 09-22-2010, 11:53 AM. Reason: word
    sigpicJeff's CNC Plasma Cutting

Comment

• smaller pipe need help

I'm using a 300 gal fuel oil tank for a smoker and a smaller hot water heater tank for a fire box i was looking for a burner like the one you put on i love it and just had some questions about modification the design to fit my needs. first i have a hole in my smoker from the drain that is at the bottom it would fit a 3/4 pipe not a 1" pipe would that make a difference in what you would need for a regulator and the holes you need to drill. second my smoker is about 6 ft long i would love to run it most of the way 4ft or 5ft of pipe for supplement heat in the pic i have seen they don't look that long can i make it longer or do i need to change something. I'm going to post some pics of my smoker and set up
      thanks

Comment

• Jeff's CNC Plasma Cutting

Originally posted by smokerJJ View Post
        I'm using a 300 gal fuel oil tank for a smoker and a smaller hot water heater tank for a fire box i was looking for a burner like the one you put on i love it and just had some questions about modification the design to fit my needs. first i have a hole in my smoker from the drain that is at the bottom it would fit a 3/4 pipe not a 1" pipe would that make a difference in what you would need for a regulator and the holes you need to drill. second my smoker is about 6 ft long i would love to run it most of the way 4ft or 5ft of pipe for supplement heat in the pic i have seen they don't look that long can i make it longer or do i need to change something. I'm going to post some pics of my smoker and set up
        thanks
        Hi smoker, go to this web site, www.brownells.com, go to seach and type in burner, they have burners for sale, you don't have to buy one but you can look at there specs on different burners they sale to answer some of the questions you have, also you need to know what BTU your burner will have to make the correct orifice size for LP gas, you will have to do an online search for a "burner orifice chart" for LP gas, this chart shows the BTU output of a burner verses orifice size using # dill bits, also read my post "building a better burner" have a good one Jeff.
        Last edited by jeff-; 10-10-2010, 08:59 AM. Reason: word

Comment

• ok i dont know how many BTU's i will need i just want a pipe burner for supplement heat so i dont have to use as much wood when im cooking. as far as the 3/4" pipe instead of the 1" that doesn't matter anymore because i dubbed checked and i can make an 1" work i got the pipe. went and bought a regulator at fleet farm (the only one they had) and got it all hooked up going by what i could reed from this form. when i tryed to light it up i got flames that are yellow and alot higher than i want them also after letting it burn for a bit it started to come back to the gas tank from the outside of the pipe im not Sher if its the regulator. as far as the orifice i went and made it smaller i tryed to see about getting a # drill bit but i dont have one in my shop so i used the smallest one i had and drilled it i did not see much difference in the way the flames where they where still yellow. i hooked my pipe up without a way to control the flame. i would like to hook up a control system like a gas grill for that but im not sher how you would do that with this pipe system. as you can tell i don't know much what im doing and right now its just a experiment if it doesn't work or i don't like it i will stick with just burning wood in my off set smoker
          as just a after thought i went and drilled a hole where one of my slits would be and the flame was a lot smaller i used a 1/4 drill bit but it was still yellow

Comment

• I'm sure some of the experts here will eventually respond, but I think you have missed some reading in this thread. Yellow flames mean you have a problem of not supplying enough oxygen to the fuel.

Comment

• JJ,
              What are you using for a venturi??
              Install a ball valve/gas C0CK between the regulator and venturi to throttle back on your gas flow, that will give you control over the heat your burner will put out.
              Can you take a picture of what you have now??
              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by urch55 View Post
                JJ,
                What are you using for a venturi??
                Install a ball valve/gas C0CK between the regulator and venturi to throttle back on your gas flow, that will give you control over the heat your burner will put out.
                Can you take a picture of what you have now??
                i just have from my regulator hose to the pipe cap it goes from a big end down to the 1/8 npt in the center of the cap
                i can take a pic of what i have but i will have to take one next time im out in my shop

Comment

• Originally posted by smokerJJ View Post
                  i just have from my regulator hose to the pipe cap it goes from a big end down to the 1/8 npt in the center of the cap
                  i can take a pic of what i have but i will have to take one next time im out in my shop
                  JJ,
                  This is what you need or something like it. You just can't install a hose in the end of a pipe. It needs oxygen and that is what the venturi does and it's adjustable.

sigpic

Comment

• ok i will have to make a venturi or see if i can buy one.
                    i have been looking more online and at my gas stove should i put a safety valve in the hose or is it fine without one

Comment

• None of the burners I have seen or grills has any safty valve. With the regulator and the ofp valve that is on the tank it's self you will be fine.
                      sigpic

Comment

• i was looking at more venturi online at some pics could i just use a old gas grill that i have sitting around if i remember right they have the vents or venturi like the one in the attached pic

Comment

• No not on a pipe burner. Find an old old water heater that has a cast burner, or a turkey fryer and cut the venturi off. That is what I posted in the picture.
                          sigpic

Comment

• ok i will have to talk to my friend that owns a junkyard see if he has one
                            thanks i will post back when i try that out
                            just so you can see what i am putting this burner into i will post a pics of my smoker newly painted

Comment

• Jeff's CNC plasma cutting

Originally posted by smokerJJ View Post
                              ok i will have to talk to my friend that owns a junkyard see if he has one
                              thanks i will post back when i try that out
                              just so you can see what i am putting this burner into i will post a pics of my smoker newly painted
                              Hi smoker, your pit looks very well built, I know you can get this burner working properly, but it is going to take some effort on your part, you need to read what I have posted, this will explain much and tell you how to make a venturi. I would buy a # drill bit set, if you look at that web site I posted to you, you will see the specs on the burners they sell, this will tell you the lenght of the burner and the BTU output of each, from this you can find out what orifice size to use by doing the search for the orifice chart on LP gas, you can use an ajustable regulator. The yellow flames you have tell me there is not enough O2 going into the burner, proving the need for a venturi, hope this will help, Jeff.
                              Last edited by jeff-; 10-12-2010, 08:08 AM. Reason: word

Comment

• Google making or building propane forge. Google making a turkey fryer.

Lots of sites with great instructions and explanations of how they work. Forge burner pipe has large flame coming out end of burner pipe. BBQ or grill has flames coming out many small holes or slots spread out length of burner pipe. Some cooking burners as used for turkey frying have flames coming out many holes, one large circular slot or out end of large mixer pipe with high pressure propane gas jet shooting down center. Look at the many different designs and understand how they work. Then make one of your own.

Comment

Working...
                                X