No announcement yet.

pipe burner build instructions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air inlet holes by gas jet can be over size with valve disc adjustment of air flow to fine tune burner. Interchangeable gas jets make easier to experiment with different size orifice or enable changing from propane to natural gas fuel. These only make adjustments easier not must have items.

Comment

Large Tank

What kind of tank are those oval tanks used for these Hog cookers? I live in
      Texas and have not seen these tanks. I know most of these type of cookers are built in North or South Carolina, are these tanks something only used there? Is there a source for these tanks?

Thanks, my first post but have been reading this thread for some time and it looks great.

Comment

Originally posted by mike191 View Post
        What kind of tank are those oval tanks used for these Hog cookers?
        Mike.. In my neck of the woods the tanks are used for Fuel oil, Diesel fuel, Kerosene, Engine & Transmission oil,Etc. the most common size is 220 gallon. Try calling a fuel oil dealer or bulk oil dealer for a leaking used tank. Being oval they are more compact than a standard round tank of the same size...
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by urch55 View Post
          Mike.. In my neck of the woods the tanks are used for Fuel oil, Diesel fuel, Kerosene, Engine & Transmission oil,Etc. the most common size is 220 gallon. Try calling a fuel oil dealer or bulk oil dealer for a leaking used tank. Being oval they are more compact than a standard round tank of the same size...
          Thank you for the info!

Here is an unrelated question to tanks, but, if I have a "Texas Smoker" which is a large tube with a fire box on one end and I want to convert it to LP, can I use a 3/4" pipe, I have the regulator and air venture? I have measured and would use a 60" pipe with 6" more out the end. On the 1 1/2" pipe there were slots from the saw at 1 1/2" down to 1/4" from top of saw blade. How would I saw this 3/4"ID pipe? Or, would it be better to drill holes along the length? If so, what size and how far apart?

The reason I focus on the 3/4" pipe is that I have it and the screw on venture with regulator already. It is the Cast Iron Venturi for use in a high temp gas cooker like a turkey fryer. I was saving buying another regulator.

I do not know the temperature difference between what would produced with the 1 1/2" pipe to the 3/4" pipe.

Anyway, sorry for rambling. Thanks for any info and I plan to investigate the tank situation here in Texas. I have not seen this type except very large fuel tanks used by construction crews to refuel their equipment.

Thanks again!

Comment

Mike can't help you out with the 3/4" or 1-1/2" pipe. But I have had business dealings with 1". One of my customers has a whole Hog smoker, 48" wide and 72" long. It was vandalized and all the LP components were stolen. I had to go out and buy a turkey fryer for the cast iron burner, regulator, hose with the orifice and gas C0CK. I cut the venture off of the burner and braised it on a 1" nipple. Now this has a twin burner so I put a ball valve in one of the burners after the tee so both would not have to be on when cooking is done and it could be throttled down just enough to keep everything warm. The pipe had holes I think it was 1/8 Dia. and about 1-1/2" apart. there was a shield to keep grease out of the holes, and to help with even heating. I am sure there is a science or rule of thumb for the size of burner holes, pipe size, LP pressure, etc. I do not have this info trial and error is all I have. Any way all worked out and is still going after six years.
            sigpic

Comment

Hey Guys, No matter what design of burner you use, the second most important thing is does it work.?? With that being said who ever gets their smoker done, how about me bringing over a bucket of "Bare Bones" over and giving your smoker a test drive.
              sigpic

Comment

What kind of tank are those oval tanks used for these Hog cookers? I live in
                Texas and have not seen these tanks. I know most of these type of cookers are built in North or South Carolina, are these tanks something only used there? Is there a source for these tanks?

Thanks, my first post but have been reading this thread for some time and it looks great.
                Hey mike, there are plenty of those tanks here in nc. They are used for fuel oil tanks to heat homes with fuel oil furnaces which were popular years ago. As we have become more dependant on natural gas and propane out in the country these tanks are more available. I actually come upon them quite often. I know where two of them are and all I have to do is go pick them up and get them off there property. I have a round one I used to build my pig cooker but there are oval ones that are very popular. I built my cooker out of a round drum because I needed space to hang kielbasa (sausage).
                sigpic
                Miller trailblazer 301G
                Miller S22P12 feeder w/ss case
                K&K 300 amp 15' .035-.045 (Bernard)
                Miller HF-251D-1, Weldcraft AC torch pkg
                Hobart HH187
                Harris DLX STLWKR
                O/A & chemolene
                WARNING These stunts are performed either by professionals or under the supervision of professionals. I insist no one attempt, recreate, or re-enact any activities performed.

Comment

Mike can't help you out with the 3/4" or 1-1/2" pipe. But I have had business dealings with 1". One of my customers has a whole Hog smoker, 48" wide and 72" long. It was vandalized and all the LP components were stolen. I had to go out and buy a turkey fryer for the cast iron burner, regulator, hose with the orifice and gas C0CK. I cut the venture off of the burner and braised it on a 1" nipple. Now this has a twin burner so I put a ball valve in one of the burners after the tee so both would not have to be on when cooking is done and it could be throttled down just enough to keep everything warm. The pipe had holes I think it was 1/8 Dia. and about 1-1/2" apart. there was a shield to keep grease out of the holes, and to help with even heating. I am sure there is a science or rule of thumb for the size of burner holes, pipe size, LP pressure, etc. I do not have this info trial and error is all I have. Any way all worked out and is still going after six years.
                  Thanks for your info. I am going to try to build using a 3/4"pipe venture belled up to 1", since I have the 3/4" venture. Will drill about 1/8" holes along the pipe and see what happens. I am going to salvage my "Big" Smokemaster 2040 cooker. I just want to maintain the 200F - 300F range. I will post when I get it going in case anyone from this neck of the woods is reading. Thanks for all the input.

Comment

Sorry to hijack the thread but I have a question...

I have a U shaped pipe burner heating a big griddle. The two long pipes about 45" long are 1/2 black pipe which connect to a t that converts to 3/4" black pipe that is about 12" long that has the venturi on the end with orfice, etc. I get nice blue flames all the way down, except right at the beginning of the pipes, the first 3-5 inches. What could be causing this? Oh yeah, I have slots cut every 1" as I remember. Is the pipe too small which is causing the gas the "blow out" the first few slots by having too much flow across them? I get good heat, could use a bit more to cook faster, so I am thinking of going up in pipe size and trying that, but then my venturi will be too small and have to buy another as it has 3/4" threads on it. I was thinking of going to 3/4" on bothe pipes but then adding a venturi to both of them, instead of t'ing them together.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the novel

Comment

Krew:
                      That does seem like too small of a pipe for that long. I have worked on twin burners that had 1" pipe with 1/8th" holes about one inch apart almost 6ft. long. Try using 1" pipe for burners and tee, then use a bushing in the tee for your 3/4" fitting. It's possible you are starving the burner, because there is not enough LP in the burner to supply all the holes or slits.. This is just a guess on my part, all I have to go on is trial and error. This is a picture of the components like I used. Thees are extras just laying around. I weld them to end of nipples of the size I need..
                      sigpic

Comment

Thanks for your info. I am going to try to build using a 3/4"pipe venture belled up to 1", since I have the 3/4" venture. Will drill about 1/8" holes along the pipe and see what happens. I am going to salvage my "Big" Smokemaster 2040 cooker. I just want to maintain the 200F - 300F range. I will post when I get it going in case anyone from this neck of the woods is reading. Thanks for all the input.
                        Well, drilling is too difficult as I do not have a good drill setup. I have decided to go with slits. I am going to put 1/4" wide(3/16" deep) slits on 5/8" centers. I will start at 8" and go the distance of 55" flames. Here's hoping.

Comment

Well, drilling is too difficult as I do not have a good drill setup. I have decided to go with slits. I am going to put 1/4" wide(3/16" deep) slits on 5/8" centers. I will start at 8" and go the distance of 55" flames. Here's hoping.
                          Mike:
                          Your slits will be too wide and too close together. If you have a band saw use that at one inch apart to put slits in with, or you can do what others have done use a reciprocating saw.
                          sigpic

Comment

Mike:
                            Your slits will be too wide and too close together. If you have a band saw use that at one inch apart to put slits in with, or you can do what others have done use a reciprocating saw.
                            I used the saw and put the slits at 1 1/2" centers and the resulting width of the slits were about 3/8" when I went the 3/16" depth. The resulting flame gives me a constant 250F in my main chamber and 215F in my tower. I still need to experiment with a needle valve and use a higher constant pressure. Right now I am using an adjustable regulator and guage. The pipe uses only 1# of pressure to get my temperature. Any input on how a needle valve and set (10#) pressure might work?

Comment

This is a picture of the components like I used. Thees are extras just laying around. I weld them to end of nipples of the size I need..

Hey 55,

What did you cut these off of? That would be an easy addition to a pipe. How big a burner do you suppose these would handle?
                              Have A Big Time!

Wade

Comment

Originally posted by dodgewade View Post
                                Hey 55,
                                What did you cut these off of? That would be an easy addition to a pipe. How big a burner do you suppose these would handle?
                                I cut them off turkey fryers. You can also find them on old,,old gas water heaters. They have to be old because the newer ones have pressed tin burners not cast iron.
                                I Installed one on a 72" 1" sch. 40 pipe with 1/8" hole every 1" or 1-1/2".
                                In fact it was a twin burner so two pipes and it worked great.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X