pipe burner build instructions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need help

i built a pipe burner 39 inches long i need to make three more but im having a problom the flame runs back through the venturi and lights after lighting it scares the **** out of me the pipe is 1.5 and i drilled 130 holes in it what should i do

Comment

Originally posted by steve curtis View Post
      i built a pipe burner 39 inches long i need to make three more but im having a problom the flame runs back through the venturi and lights after lighting it scares the **** out of me the pipe is 1.5 and i drilled 130 holes in it what should i do
      First, Boyko had some pretty specific construction measurements and I think the number and size of your holes may be the problem. From what you have said, it sounds like the speed of the gas coming out is less than the speed of flame propagation, which allows the flame to burn back. You are going to have to increase the gas velocity in your burner, by increasing pressure.

Comment

burner help

These are probably stupid questions, but anyway

Can I buy this pipe from Lowes or HD already threaded?

Are you using a burner cover, or do you not need one since the holes are facing down?

Will someone please post pictures of where and how you add your wood chips.

Comment

Is this thread too old for answers

I just wanted to know if anyone is still looking @ this thread.
          I would like to know if anyone knows where to buy some burner jets for a pipe burner.
          I can post pictures if needed.
          Thanks
          MasonMan
          Last edited by MasonMan; 02-15-2010, 04:38 PM. Reason: miss spelled

Comment

Originally posted by MasonMan View Post
            I would like to know if anyone knows where to buy some burner jets for a pipe burner.
            Thanks
            MasonMan
            If you are talking about the orifice that these people are using to inject gas into the pipe, some are using Tweco mig gun contact tips drilled out to various sizes and others are using orifices that came with their hose and regulator combination

Comment

Originally posted by MasonMan View Post
              Thanks
              MasonMan
              93,160 people have looked at this thread... WOW

I am going to stop by agri supply tomorrow and get the stock # for the regulator and orifice and post it tomorrow.

mason man, sent you my # on a pm
              sigpic
              Miller trailblazer 301G
              Miller S22P12 feeder w/ss case
              K&K 300 amp 15' .035-.045 (Bernard)
              Miller HF-251D-1, Weldcraft AC torch pkg
              Hobart HH187
              Harris DLX STLWKR
              O/A & chemolene
              WARNING These stunts are performed either by professionals or under the supervision of professionals. I insist no one attempt, recreate, or re-enact any activities performed.

Comment

regulator assembly

Went to agri supply today and matched up the regulator hose assembly with the proper part # and eddited the original post so there is no confusion on what regulator is needed to work with the gas mixer. Sorry if the wrong item was posted but if you have ever been to agri supply they have several regulator hoses and they are all mixed up in the bins and the little part # stickers stick to everything so you dont know what is what. I also added the pic of the regulator hose end.

hope this helps........
                sigpic
                Miller trailblazer 301G
                Miller S22P12 feeder w/ss case
                K&K 300 amp 15' .035-.045 (Bernard)
                Miller HF-251D-1, Weldcraft AC torch pkg
                Hobart HH187
                Harris DLX STLWKR
                O/A & chemolene
                WARNING These stunts are performed either by professionals or under the supervision of professionals. I insist no one attempt, recreate, or re-enact any activities performed.

Comment

Originally posted by boykjo View Post
                  Went to agri supply today and matched up the regulator hose assembly with the proper part # and eddited the original post so there is no confusion on what regulator is needed to work with the gas mixer. Sorry if the wrong item was posted but if you have ever been to agri supply they have several regulator hoses and they are all mixed up in the bins and the little part # stickers stick to everything so you dont know what is what. I also added the pic of the regulator hose end.

hope this helps........

I just wanted to say thanks for a great post, I have built 2 of these for my stickburner, the first one I was happy with, the second not so happy.
                  I did drill out the orifice 1 wire size up and increased the air intake holes slightly to achieve desired results.

1st burner low

1st burner high

1st burner down the middle

2nd burner low

2nd burner high

I tried the same high pressure hose from the first pipe burner, should I get a low pressure line or one with a smaller orifice?
                  Any suggestions?

Here is a link to my build
                  "Frankensmoker"

Comment

Drilling for a 1/8th NTP thread

Hello boykjo and Group,

Ok, so up here in Canada we don't have R sized drill bits. The very ones I need for a 1/8 NTP tap. The closest size I can get is a 11/32 is this acceptable?

Strangely enough, here in Canada, it's very difficult to get metric bits, which would be closer to the R in size. The best source for metric bits up here come from Britain, the land of Empirical measurements. Go figure??!!

Thank You,

Sean

Comment

According to this guy (and others) 11/32 is o.k. (R = .3390, 11/32 = .3438)

http://www.cal-look.com/forum/cal-lo...-npt-tap/?wap2

Comment

Thanks

Thanks Northweldor! I can't wait to make my burner!

Sean

Comment

burner problem

Hello,

I made my pipe burner following the posted instructions. Fired it up today and while it throws lots of heat I have lots of orange flame not blue. Is there a way to fix the problem. I think it's not getting enough air, should I widen my air holes?

Thanks
                          Sean

Comment

update

My burner burns perfectly blue when the regulator is at it's lowest setting. The flame becomes progressively more orange as the gas pressure is increased.

Thanks

Sean

Comment

Sean

You have already diagnosed your own problem, and provided the solution, I think. Remember that your hole is slightly larger, so that means more gas flow = more air required.

Comment

Thanks Again

Thanks again Northweldor, I enlarged the air holes slightly and I have it working much more efficiently. Can't believe how much heat it throws!!!

Sean

Comment

Working...
                                X