Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• boykjo
    replied
    havent posted in a while but came to my pipe burner build and read what has been going on here. Let me say I didnt work at a company for 12 years that repaired commercial kitchen equipment. I didnt Work with LP, nat gas, steam and electrical equipment, and I wasnt certified by CFESA as a master tech and didnt have much experience in the field and I am no scientist in building pipe burners but I have built a pipe burner that requires the most simplest hardware that can be bought at your local hardware store for a few dollars and be built with a few simple tools. I have posted specific instructions how to build a pipe burner. If you follow these instructions your pipe burner will burn perfectly. As you can see I have posted pics and pictures are good as it can get. If you deviate from the instructions there is not a problem with boykjo's design. It is a problem with not being able to follow directions. I have helped many locals build new pipe burners for their rigs and all are satisfied with much better results. And as for JEFFY. stop telling everyone whats wrong with my design and stop walking over my thread............................. Since your the expert, start your own thread!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    These links are for building forge burners but not much difference between them and your burner with flame coming out small holes spaced along length of burner pipe. Principle of venture burner is the same.

The big difference is yours doesn't work for many reasons.
    Including to much air restriction cause low O2 in mix.
    Small orifice in propane jet or not enough propane pressure cause not enough fuel and weak jet to pull in air.

Your only getting weak flame out of maybe 4 small burner holes. Made right with enough fuel would have short flame out of all burner holes at low setting. With no or very little air in mix will have yellow flame. With more air in mix will have white to blue flame.

You can use a low pressure or higher pressure regulator and get good results only lower pressure requires larger orifice, burner pipe and burner holes. Home propane gas and natural gas stoves and grills often use real low pressure about 6 inches of water column pressure. Using higher gas pressure is easier to get large flame and heat output for your burners crude design.

http://ronreil.abana.org/design1.shtml
    http://metalcast.boorman.us/reil_1.html
    http://www.myheap.com/book/chapter-0...reilburner.php
    http://www.hybridburners.com/
    http://drummermetalcrafts.blogspot.c...il-burner.html

Much easier and safer to buy ready made burner parts.

Leave a comment:

• jeff-
    replied
    Jeff's CNC plasma cutting

Hi smoker, I hate to tell you this but the pipe cap that you have the orifice attached to will not work like a venturi, so, you have no or very little venturi effect, this is one thing that boykjo is doing wrong in his pipeburner build. You need to use a bell reducer. As was mentioned before, please read my post on building a better burner, more o2, and do the research on Bernoullis Principle, this will explain how a venturi works, you will get there it all just takes time, Jeff.
    Last edited by jeff-; 10-13-2010, 12:36 PM. Reason: word

Leave a comment:

• smokerJJ
    replied
    first pic is when it in on low second is when it is wide open third is off the venturi

Leave a comment:

• smokerJJ
    replied
    ok i i changed up my cap a bit i found a orifice that was on my gas grills side burner i used the orifice and nob to control the fire and than made a pipe cap to fit it in and drilled air holes as vents or the venturi i got the blue flame i wanted out of it but there is still some yellow im not sher if its anything to worry about im going to post an attachment of it and the cap but my computer is not working atm and its not letting me post the pics. im thinking i might need another hole in the cap for air so i can get blue flames but just wanted to post hear first before i screw things up to bad. i will post the pics maybe in the morning if my computer works

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Google making or building propane forge. Google making a turkey fryer.

Lots of sites with great instructions and explanations of how they work. Forge burner pipe has large flame coming out end of burner pipe. BBQ or grill has flames coming out many small holes or slots spread out length of burner pipe. Some cooking burners as used for turkey frying have flames coming out many holes, one large circular slot or out end of large mixer pipe with high pressure propane gas jet shooting down center. Look at the many different designs and understand how they work. Then make one of your own.

Leave a comment:

• jeff-
    replied
    Jeff's CNC plasma cutting

Originally posted by smokerJJ View Post
    ok i will have to talk to my friend that owns a junkyard see if he has one
    thanks i will post back when i try that out
    just so you can see what i am putting this burner into i will post a pics of my smoker newly painted
    Hi smoker, your pit looks very well built, I know you can get this burner working properly, but it is going to take some effort on your part, you need to read what I have posted, this will explain much and tell you how to make a venturi. I would buy a # drill bit set, if you look at that web site I posted to you, you will see the specs on the burners they sell, this will tell you the lenght of the burner and the BTU output of each, from this you can find out what orifice size to use by doing the search for the orifice chart on LP gas, you can use an ajustable regulator. The yellow flames you have tell me there is not enough O2 going into the burner, proving the need for a venturi, hope this will help, Jeff.
    Last edited by jeff-; 10-12-2010, 08:08 AM. Reason: word

Leave a comment:

• smokerJJ
    replied
    ok i will have to talk to my friend that owns a junkyard see if he has one
    thanks i will post back when i try that out
    just so you can see what i am putting this burner into i will post a pics of my smoker newly painted

Leave a comment:

• urch55
    replied
    No not on a pipe burner. Find an old old water heater that has a cast burner, or a turkey fryer and cut the venturi off. That is what I posted in the picture.

Leave a comment:

• smokerJJ
    replied
    i was looking at more venturi online at some pics could i just use a old gas grill that i have sitting around if i remember right they have the vents or venturi like the one in the attached pic

Leave a comment:

• urch55
    replied
    None of the burners I have seen or grills has any safty valve. With the regulator and the ofp valve that is on the tank it's self you will be fine.

Leave a comment:

• smokerJJ
    replied
    ok i will have to make a venturi or see if i can buy one.
    i have been looking more online and at my gas stove should i put a safety valve in the hose or is it fine without one

Leave a comment:

• urch55
    replied
    Originally posted by smokerJJ View Post
    i just have from my regulator hose to the pipe cap it goes from a big end down to the 1/8 npt in the center of the cap
    i can take a pic of what i have but i will have to take one next time im out in my shop
    JJ,
    This is what you need or something like it. You just can't install a hose in the end of a pipe. It needs oxygen and that is what the venturi does and it's adjustable.

Leave a comment:

• smokerJJ
    replied
    Originally posted by urch55 View Post
    JJ,
    What are you using for a venturi??
    Install a ball valve/gas C0CK between the regulator and venturi to throttle back on your gas flow, that will give you control over the heat your burner will put out.
    Can you take a picture of what you have now??
    i just have from my regulator hose to the pipe cap it goes from a big end down to the 1/8 npt in the center of the cap
    i can take a pic of what i have but i will have to take one next time im out in my shop

Leave a comment:

• urch55
    replied
    JJ,
    What are you using for a venturi??
    Install a ball valve/gas C0CK between the regulator and venturi to throttle back on your gas flow, that will give you control over the heat your burner will put out.
    Can you take a picture of what you have now??

Leave a comment:

Working...
X