No announcement yet.

pipe burner build instructions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

here is my 3 cents worth...I have used migwelding tips like off of a tweeco gun...they work good and are rather cheeeeeeeeeppp......easy to drill out too.....don't know if it will help
    sigpicMiller BIG 40 gasser
    Victor BIG and Little torches
    Black/decker 14" chopsaw
    Old Sears commercial 10 band saw
    50"s Skill 9"sidehead
    Milwaukie 9" sidehead
    Dewalt {small sidehead}
    Orbit air sidehead grinders
    Cornwell, snap on, matco,napa wrenches and sockets from 1/4" to 4 1/2"

I OWE, I OWE, SO OFF TO WORK I GO

Comment

New here found this thread by "googleing" propane burner , building a cooker myself , oblong tank stood upright , rotisserie 2x16" sprokets at top 2x 12" sprokets at bottom , with a 120V 3rpm motor , thanks so much for the help with the burner, it will also have a smoke box,
      thanks
      rudy

Comment

A really big "thank you" to boykjo!!!!

Have you ever tried a 2" diameter stainless burner?

How do you think it would work?

Wouldn't it change the hole diameter in the Gas Mix area?

And do you cook with the slots DOWNWARD?

Comment

Boykjo, you still out there? I realize this is an older thread but I have a question. I see you are using an adjustable high pressure regulator. I went to that website you posted but they don't list the pressure adjustments. By chance do you remember what they might be. I'm looking to use something like that for a small blacksmithing furnace. Also your pipe burner design works very well for heating narrow bluing salt trays. Uncrichie.

Comment

This is a Good site

http://www.zoellerforge.com/
            Ed Conley
            Screaming Broccoli, Inc
            http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
            MM252
            MM211
            Miller Passport Plus, Spoolmate 100
            TA185
            SO 2020 Bender
            Miller 125c Plasma
            "Hold my beer while I try this!"

Comment

Thanks Broccoli. Uncrichie.

Comment

What PSI regulator is that from AgriSupply?

What PSI would I need for a 1.5" ID burner?

PS I can't thank you guys enough for this thread.

Totally AWESOME!!!!!!

Comment

great post!! now I got it lock in. Daye

Comment

One more question - how long can one of those 20 lb tanks be expected to last before they run out of gas? Would a tank last an entire day of cooking?
                    Corm

Miller 180SD, Millermatic 251, Lincoln SP125+, Hypotherm 350

Comment

Originally posted by uncrichie View Post
                      Boykjo, you still out there? I realize this is an older thread but I have a question. I see you are using an adjustable high pressure regulator. I went to that website you posted but they don't list the pressure adjustments. By chance do you remember what they might be. I'm looking to use something like that for a small blacksmithing furnace. Also your pipe burner design works very well for heating narrow bluing salt trays. Uncrichie.
                      hey everyone.. been gone for a while, lost my job back in feb. unemployed till sept. had to cut back and loose my internet sevice. I am using my friends laptop. I'll be back when I pick up internet service. Need to catch up on mortgage payments first.....
                      sigpic
                      Miller trailblazer 301G
                      Miller S22P12 feeder w/ss case
                      K&K 300 amp 15' .035-.045 (Bernard)
                      Miller HF-251D-1, Weldcraft AC torch pkg
                      Hobart HH187
                      Harris DLX STLWKR
                      O/A & chemolene
                      WARNING These stunts are performed either by professionals or under the supervision of professionals. I insist no one attempt, recreate, or re-enact any activities performed.

Comment

Good luck to you. Just remember things get better with time. Uncrichie.

Comment

Hey Boyko, Don here. We are using our smoker all the time, thanks for your past help. I just smoked some venison last weekend. Came out good, but the marinade needs some tweeking.
                          To answer Corm, I find that a 20# tank of propane will last about 14 hours in my 250 gal size smoker. I use only 1 of my two 5', 1" dia, black pipe (Boyko) design burners at a time. Boston Butts take about 9 hours to cook, ribs about 4-5 hours.
                          To answer Paulaner, I have 2" stainless pipes that I originally was going to use (modeled after another smoker I had borrowed and 2" worked, but I never looked at the orifice dia.). However, after Boyko's help, the 1" black pipe is working wonderfully.
                          The only thing that I am still going to experiment with is to build up a 5', 1" dia. black pipe, with slots cut every 3" instead of every 1.5". Right now to keep my smoker at 225-250 deg F, I use only 1 of the 2 burners, and only open up the gas control valve slightly, and the flames are very low.
                          On the cooking side, there are 4 of us (2 couples) who have been putting on BBQ's for friends (we did one for 110 people 2 weekends ago). We now have matching aprons (going high cotton), with "For Big Butts" embroidered on them :=).
                          Don

Comment

Thanks Don, I was actually thinking the same......

I did a 1.5 inch diameter (stainless steel) and with the slots being 1 inch apart, it gets WAY TOO HOT!...It's got the prettiest blue flame I've ever seen, but just gets way too HOT!...... I'm trying now to figure out what I would need to cook at 275 degrees and "hold" 275 degrees for 7 to 8 hours.

I was thinking to go to 1" pipe and a tad smaller orifice diameter and spred my slots further apart. Maybe from 1" out to 2 1/2 or even 3"........

Let me know how your 5 footer does for you. And as soon as I get mine done, I'll let you know how it does, and if I was on the right track or not......

later, Marty
                            Last edited by paulaner; 11-29-2008, 11:59 PM.

Comment

And one more thing about my first burner (the one that gets WAY TOO HOT)

I cut my slots using a Sawzall .....it cuts a little wider slot than a Portaband......

I'm thinking to use a Portaband on my next attempt (to reach a much lower temperature)

later
                              Last edited by paulaner; 11-30-2008, 10:08 AM.

Comment

DO you think you could get the same results using 1 1/4 " pipe to build a burner by your design?

Comment

Working...
                                X