Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• metallurgy
    replied
    That happened a LOT when i started until you told me to turn it up.

I got a little angry, not only because of that, but the gas flow was so low the flame was crooked. It's a lot more satisfying when it doesn't go out every inch of welding.

Winter break started today, so I would set up my welder (finally), but it just so happens that i have to go on a road trip that takes up all but a day or two of the break. So, assuming I get back in time, i should have it set up in two weeks. I'm real excited, I've got my list of everything i've ever wanted to make but couldn't. I also have a plan to make a really serious air powered potato cannon, after I practice for a few months. It's gotta be airtight...

Leave a comment:

• villemur
    replied
    Originally posted by metallurgy View Post
    How does an acetylene torch keep the flame outside of the tip then? There's oxygen in that mix!
    The O/A torch doesn't always keep the flame outside the tip. If you don't have enough pressure you'll get popping. This is where the flame quickly burns back inside the tip, has a tiny explosion, and then often relights back outside the torch. In really severe cases, bad things can happen!

Leave a comment:

• metallurgy
    replied
    Originally posted by whateg0 View Post
    Not a stupid question.

the pressure inside the hose keeps oxygen from entering the hose. without O2, no fire.

Dave
    How does an acetylene torch keep the flame outside of the tip then? There's oxygen in that mix!

Leave a comment:

• boykjo
    replied
    Originally posted by tigster View Post
    is this "at least" 4 inches? that is, if i wanted to T it first, then start making the cuts, it would more than likely be more than 4 inches. so, would that situation be ok? thanks.
    On a tee I wouldnt slot the pipe with the gas mixer. Install 3 way coupling and make cuts down the t to the end caps. see pic

Leave a comment:

• whateg0
    replied
    Originally posted by ace4059 View Post
    ...what keeps the fire from sucking inside the holes, going up the hose, and in the bottle, causing a large KABOOM.

-Ryan
    Not a stupid question.

the pressure inside the hose keeps oxygen from entering the hose. without O2, no fire.

Dave

Leave a comment:

• ace4059
    replied
    maybe a stupid question but what keeps the fire from sucking inside the holes, going up the hose, and in the bottle, causing a large KABOOM.

-Ryan

Leave a comment:

• tigster
    replied
    Originally posted by boykjo View Post
    Remember to start your cut 4 inched from the gas mixer....
    is this "at least" 4 inches? that is, if i wanted to T it first, then start making the cuts, it would more than likely be more than 4 inches. so, would that situation be ok? thanks.

Leave a comment:

• boykjo
    replied
    i don't have a sawsall, but no reason i couldn't make the cuts with a bandsaw, right?
    I havent used a ban saw to make the cuts. Band saw blades can run a few 1/1000th smaller than a sawzall blade. you could try it and if it doesnt work u can always go behind your cuts with a sawzall. Remember to start your cut 4 inched from the gas mixer....

Leave a comment:

• Broccoli1
    replied
    i don't have a sawsall, but no reason i couldn't make the cuts with a bandsaw, right?
    No but it's a good reason to buy a sawsall

Leave a comment:

• usmcpop
    replied
    Boykjo,

That is great stuff! I've seen the fluorescent and LED lights that you put under the running boards of a vehicle, but never gas-powered ones.

Leave a comment:

• tigster
    replied

Leave a comment:

• boykjo
    replied
    Originally posted by Scott Young View Post
    great post!! thanks for posting the instructions. just one question. what did you use as the jet where the hose connects to the mixing cap?

i will post pictures of my set up for a home made weed burner or cooking jet burner. we made them at work so we could preheat some metal before welding.
    The jet comes with the regulator and hose as one assembly.
    heres the link or try your local farm supply house.

link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...GPTYGGEG34FJTZ
    Last edited by boykjo; 11-10-2009, 11:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• whateg0
    replied
    Originally posted by boykjo View Post
    Untested pipe is piping not rated for pressure. It is used in handrails, roll bars, frames ect. It has a seem inside the pipe where black pipe is smooth. Untested usually come in schedule 40. Your local metal supplier should carry it.
    The black pipe I got at HD has a seam. The only common steel tube/pipe that I'm familiar with is DOM. Then again, I'm not edjumakated...

I built a burner for a foundry from 3/4" pipe from plans online, but I hadn't seen too many plans for a burner of this sort before. Thanks!

Dave

Leave a comment:

• Scott Young
    replied
    great post!! thanks for posting the instructions. just one question. what did you use as the jet where the hose connects to the mixing cap?

i will post pictures of my set up for a home made weed burner or cooking jet burner. we made them at work so we could preheat some metal before welding.

Leave a comment:

• boykjo
    replied
    Untested pipe is piping not rated for pressure. It is used in handrails, roll bars, frames ect. It has a seem inside the pipe where black pipe is smooth. Untested usually come in schedule 40. Your local metal supplier should carry it.
    Last edited by boykjo; 12-18-2007, 07:20 PM. Reason: n/a

Leave a comment:

Working...
X