pipe burner build instructions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by darthwelder View Post
    Question.....I see in several pics what looks like galvanized metal being used to make parts to be used in the cooker.

Now, I am no expert on the science of metallurgy, but, aren't the coatings used in making galvan zinc and tin? If so, wouldn't using that type of metal in a COOKING vessel be dangerous? I know stainless and copper is safe, along with cast iron. But once the flame of natural gas hits the elements in the galvanized metals....wouldnt there be some kind of transfer of the zinc and tin, and whatever else....INTO the food? Also, I know Im gonna kill the spelling of this, but isnt "fazz-gene" gas released as a result of high heat being applied to galvanized metal? ( please feel free to correct my spelling, Im good, but not perfect.)

Im not trying to start a fight here, there is enough of that going on already on this BBS, but it does come to mind that certain metals or coatings should be avoided for food prep.

If Im wrong....no biggie, Ill learn something. But If Im right, be careful... I wouldnt want to hear of someone being sick or hurt over this.
    The correct spelling is "phosgene" , and I don't think it is produced in heating galvanized coatings. What is produced is vaporized zinc oxide which is harmful if inhaled but is also an additive in trace amounts in many food products. You are correct that zinc plating should not be used in cooking, possibly because of the cadmium contamination mentioned above.

Comment

• Originally posted by smokerJJ View Post
      I'm using a 300 gal fuel oil tank for a smoker and a smaller hot water heater tank for a fire box i was looking for a burner like the one you put on i love it and just had some questions about modification the design to fit my needs. first i have a hole in my smoker from the drain that is at the bottom it would fit a 3/4 pipe not a 1" pipe would that make a difference in what you would need for a regulator and the holes you need to drill. second my smoker is about 6 ft long i would love to run it most of the way 4ft or 5ft of pipe for supplement heat in the pic i have seen they don't look that long can i make it longer or do i need to change something. I'm going to post some pics of my smoker and set up
      thanks

Ok, again, not trying to start anything...but isnt fuel oil infused with all sorts of trace elements that would be considered "unhealthy" if ingested? My point in this thread is that it seems to me that a few people may have great ideas and aspirations for projects.....but when it comes to choosing what to use....not so good an idea.

Here in Texas, we are famous for our BBQ cookers. I believe we are even given title to a type or design of BBQ cooker. As such, I have seen MANY of these that were made from things I wouldn't ever think of using. Old gas tanks, fuel cells, pipe of unknown origin. It doesnt matter; in my book, if you arent 100% positive that the metal is fresh/new.....you dont use it for ANYTHING to do with food or potable water.

We are all adults....Ok, most of us are, and we can all make up our own minds as to what we will do to our bodies. The problem though, is that " if " you build a cooker out of some dangerously toxic materials....and then feed others out of that cooker; they never had the chance to make that choice.
      If you understand how hard it is to get impurities out of metal so that it will weld well......just imagine how hard it is to get impurities out of metal so that it is safe to cook with ?!

Again, not trying to start a fight....but I will say this... When choosing materials to use for the construction of any cooking device....MAKE SURE ITS CLEAN. And washing out oilfield pipe with dish soap and a water hose...ISNT CLEAN.

Be safe my friends....and be healthy.

Comment

• No problem with "trace elements" here.
        I always burn a few pallets to clean out the cooking chamber. The LP tanks get red hot. It also makes it nice to clean the exterior and paint it. At least I know how clean the cooker is but I can't say that about the meat.
        sigpic

Comment

• Darth,
          Lets not forget the rats that may show up to eat the scraps or lick off the grating. Rats do thier business every place so you have to heat the cooking chamber up to burn off any rat residue or "trace elements".
          This is why it is a good idea to wash off a soda/beer can before drinking. Rat wizz is hazardous to your health.
          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by urch55 View Post
            Darth,
            Lets not forget the rats that may show up to eat the scraps or lick off the grating. Rats do thier business every place so you have to heat the cooking chamber up to burn off any rat residue or "trace elements".
            This is why it is a good idea to wash off a soda/beer can before drinking. Rat wizz is hazardous to your health.
            We only worry about deer mice in rat-free Alberta!

Comment

• Ha guy's this is what I have been concerned about this whole thread, gas impurity's and so on, there are companies and manufacturers of commercial ovens and pits out there that build there units that utilize the heat from the gas and then direct the burnt gases away from the food, so hence the need to build smart, I have worked in this field many years now and I know if a burner is not burning correctly it will make a person sick.
              sigpicJeff's CNC Plasma Cutting

Comment

• So gross

Originally posted by urch55 View Post
                Darth,

How many of you drink soda from a can...fresh out of a vending machine?

GROSS!!!!!

lawls.

Comment

• u joint

i was thinking about doing a u joint outta 1'' black pipe. the two main pieces would be 36'' long connected to a 90degree with 2 1/2 pipin between the t joint. anyone think this would work.

Comment

• Here in SC and NC if you can think you can build a cooker you cut it you burn the crap out of it I like split oak for about 4-5 hour and build it. I know alot of cookers built out of fuel oil barrels and old lp tanks they last forever and hold heat super... Trace elements get burt out after several hours of burning like urch55 said.. Hey any concerns come on down will have one of the best pig pickins you ever ate

Comment

• burner

I am building a burner just like the one shown on this thread, the only thing I am having a problem with is where to find that king of gas oraphus. Where can I get one that would work

Comment

• Originally posted by tegnol View Post
                        I am building a burner just like the one shown on this thread, the only thing I am having a problem with is where to find that king of gas oraphus. Where can I get one that would work
                        Most guys use mig tips. You should be able to find these at any welding supply store.

If all else fails, you can always make your own. I make mine by beating the end of some 1/4" copper tubing closed, and then drilling a small hole (use something like a #70 wire size drill bit).

See http://nanosleep.dyndns.org/griddle/
                        And http://nanosleep.dyndns.org/deepFryer/

You could also just drill the hole in a brass cap or plug that's already threaded to match your pipes.

Dynasty200DX w/coolmate1
                        Econotig (for sale)
                        MM210
                        Lincoln AC225 tombstone
                        Victor O/A
                        Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
                        Ingersoll-Rand 2475N7.5FP
                        Evolution Rage3
                        AEAD-200 on extended loan from Dad

Comment

• Pipe Burner Build Instructions

I found black iron pipe at Lowes which apparently the same as black steel pipe. I understand that it is coated with paint which is probably enamel..... I assume that this would not be an issue for use in a smoker as it could be burned off during a test burn session prior to using the grill. Additionally, I am planning on using 1 " pipe with slots cut every 3 inches vice every 1.5 inches due to the longer lengt to accomodate the smoker we are retrofitting for a gas heat source..... I plan on using the regulator and hose from a donor turkey fryer... Does this sound like it will work? Thanks Gunny

Comment

• Originally posted by STSCSGUNNY View Post
                            I am planning on using 1 " pipe with slots cut every 3 inches vice every 1.5 inches due to the longer lengt to accomodate the smoker we are retrofitting for a gas heat source..... I plan on using the regulator and hose from a donor turkey fryer... Does this sound like it will work? Thanks Gunny
                            Yes it will work. I used the regulator, gas C0CK, and venturi from a turkey fryer. However, I had slits about 1.5 to 2" for two 5 foot burners teed and ball valves in order to use just one for warming. Used 1" sch. 40 pipe. If you cut slits every 3 inches you can always cut more if need be..
                            sigpic

Comment

• Flame always goes out

I have a smoker that I purchased from a custom builder and it is set up similar to ones I've seen on here. The pipe burner is made out of 1 1/4" black pipe and is a little over 60" long and has the slits in it exactly like how your instructions show.

Our problem is that our flame keeps going out when we turn the flow down real low. We are trying to get the temp down to that 225-250 sweet spot and can't get the flame to stay lit. We are pretty sure it is getting blown out by little gusts of wind. But shouldn't it be able to stand up to that?

You mention using a High Pressure Regulator? Ours is attached with a low pressure regulator. Everything I've read says you should use low pressure for grills. high pressure is more necessary for things like turkey fryers.

Your pictures also indicate the slots on the underside of the pipe? does that have any effect? ours is situated with the slits up.

Appreciate any advice.

troughboy

Comment

• Flame Not Lighting All the Way Across

I am working on a 1" burner following the instructions here. Mine is about 70 inches lone, and I used a band saw to cut the slots on 1 1/2 inch centers.

On my test outside of the grill everything seems to be working fine, I can adjust the flame to get it blue with yellow pips and I can turn the regular or needle valve at the air venturie to adjust the flame from small to way too much.

The only problem I have is lighting it. I can light it but the flame will not walk across the length of the pipe. I have to use my lighter to get the middle and other end going.

I friend suggested that I need to drill out my orifice (#61) to a bigger size for more volume. What do you guys think.

Will Post pics later today.

Comment

Working...
                                X