OT, warehousing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT, warehousing

Do we have any experts on the forum in the warehousing, trucking, freight biz?
    http://www.facebook.com/cary.urka.urkafarms

Your next "get rich quick" scheme?????
    *** Disclaimer ***

As I have no wish to toy with anybody's life, I suggest you take this and all other posts with a certain amount of skepticism. Carefully evaluate, and if necessary, research on your own any suggestions or advice you might pick up here, especially those from my posts, as I obviously haven't the skill and experience exhibited by some of the more illustrious and more successful members of this forum. I'm not responsible for anything I say, as I drank toxic water when young.

Comment

If you did one here, you could try to make it "The Best Little Warehouse in Texas!!" ...sorry Berry...just got silly...OK, I'm alright now...
      "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

I ain't no expert, but what sort of thing do you have in mind or a problem with?

"Gone are the days of wooden ships, and Iron men.
        I doubt if we shall ever see thier likes again".
        Circa 1900.
        Author: unknown member of the USCG.

Comment

I want to buy a building but need to figure out some work for it.

Comment

Originally posted by calweld View Post
            Your next "get rich quick" scheme?????
            I think hes just trying to support his farming habit.

Comment

Originally posted by lars66 View Post
              I think hes just trying to support his farming habit.
              That is a mighty expensive habit to have these days.
              It's only a mistake if you don't learn from it!!!!! Wrenchbender
              Miller 250 Buzz
              Miller Trail Blazer 301
              Meco Weld master
              Very old smith smoke axe
              Hobart 400 DC portable
              Hobart porta feed 17 and a lot O' udder stuff

Comment

I know nothing about it but have seen it done on rare occasion. You have to be in an area with a void/hole in it as far as distribution goes. You set yourself up as a re-distribution for some after market product line. You receive lots, ship singles. UPS, FedEx, any rapid package system does the rest. All the planets have to line up just right for it to work.

Todays world requires digital connections, form printers, phone lines and about a 95% response/reliability rate.
                Last edited by Sandy; 09-23-2007, 12:16 PM.

Comment

You might want to get in touch with some of the on-line load board folks like www.getloaded.com. I was talking with the president of GetLoaded the other day about potential software projects, and he mentioned that they are not just matching loads with truckers, but also doing some things with freight storage/forwarding, or at least thinking about it. There are several of these load board services around.
                  --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
                  -------------------------

Comment

One thing I have seen done with an older warehouse that the business went belly up is to rent some of it out as storage for larger things.... the one I'm thinking of has three buildings and one of them is a freezer..... they have one portion of one rented out to a place that is storing some equipment during a referb of there plant,another portion is rented by the town to store man hole covers and storm drain covers and in the freezer is mostly tuna for a cat food place near by to store there excess that they can't hold.
                    Good Luck,
                    Mike
                    George W. Bush saving your butt whether you like it or not!
                    If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.
                    Thomas Paine
                    Fear is temporary, regret is forever
                    HH210 w S.G.
                    Victor/Uniweld O/P
                    Dewalt Chop Saw

Comment

usmcpop, that is something like I was looking for, didn't even know where to look. I have an idea I could do boats and marine if given some time but the price is right here, enough to the point I wouldn't have to ram it full tilt to make it work, possibly something value added or as an aid to expansion for the right company. Some trucking and logistics outfit that wanted to put a foot forward in this area could be a good fit. Even something in paper converting might be do-able or some truck service or terminal type things. Right now I am fishing.

Comment

Around me, a warehouse were you could park a commercial vehicle and have a shop would be ideal. Im in an area that's been commercial for over 100 yrs (GM plant etc)...the locals are pushing commercial bussiness out.

Comment

Around these parts the deal is mini warehouses but it would be a shame and expensive to divide up a building the size you're talking about. But personal storage is big bizz cars,boats motorcycles in the winter snowmobiles in the summer etc.... Maybe an indoor fleamarket they are also big bizz around here.
                          It's only a mistake if you don't learn from it!!!!! Wrenchbender
                          Miller 250 Buzz
                          Miller Trail Blazer 301
                          Meco Weld master
                          Very old smith smoke axe
                          Hobart 400 DC portable
                          Hobart porta feed 17 and a lot O' udder stuff

Comment

A fellow near me ran a warehouse (until it was torn down as part of a highway expansion project) where he received tractor trailer loads of laboratory equipment. He then broke down the shipments and delivered the equipment to individual labs (medical, pharmaceutical etc.) for installation.

I met the fellow when he was having a "yard sale" to get rid of abandoned stuff -from labs which closed and never accepted deliveries etc. I purchased an $1,800 lab vacuum pump for $15. It was brand new but leaked oil. All it needed was an O ring on the oil drain plug. He had a DNA analyzer/computer machine - straight out of CSI. I offered him $100 for it but he thought he had a real buyer interested so I didn't get it. Also got a pocket sized optical tachometer for $1. Needed a new 9 volt battery.

There might be some money in breaking down tractor trailer sized loads to pickup truck size loads. I could not say for sure.

Ken

Comment

Working...
                            X