New Guy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Guy

I got a Hobart 187 for my birthday and i'm looking for some simple build ideas for beginners. I have acsess to a bunch of 1" x 1" square tubing. Its the support bars for golf cart tops. Anything to help get me started.

When i say new guy I mean i've never welded befor and i've never taken a class for welding either.
    Tejas 214

Hobart 187
    Cutters
    Hammer
    File

Originally posted by Tejas214 View Post
    I got a Hobart 187 for my birthday and i'm looking for some simple build ideas for beginners. I have acsess to a bunch of 1" x 1" square tubing. Its the support bars for golf cart tops. Anything to help get me started.

When i say new guy I mean i've never welded befor and i've never taken a class for welding either.
    Might as well build a welding cart. There are lots of them if you search google.

Comment

Welcome!
      Surf here for a while and you're sure to find many great starter projects. Pick things that don't hurt anyone if the welds break, and then overbuild it. Some that pop into mind are: Cart for your new welder, welding table, cart for other things, decorative things, cart for garbage cans, build a new heavy-duty frame/cart for your gas grill, pencil/pen organizer, material cart to store all the steel you're going to find, and outdoor table. How 'bout a fire pit? Don't discount the fun in just welding scraps together and then cutting them apart again. Hope this gives you a starting point.
      --Bob
      millr210, 125cf tank C-25w/.030 wire. spdgls 9002x. Jet 5x6 bndsw, HF chopsaw, 4.5 and 9 inch grindrs. .

Comment

You got a HH187 for your birthday? AND you've never welded before??

I wish I could have birthdays like that! It would actually make it worth HAVING the birthday just to get good stuff like that!

Lucky S.O.B......
        I NEED MORE COWBELL!!!

'Red' Powcon 300ST (no torch yet)
        (ok, not really a 'Red'... )
        'Blue' Miller 35 (older than me and runs great), Thunderbolt AC arc (ditto)
        'Craftsman' AC arc (who made this originally?)
        O/A x 2 (both smaller than I'd like)
        14" Milwaukee chopper
        20t HF press (crap, but works)
        Buffalo forge w/ blower
        Alot of pumps!

"All of us know more than any of us."- TexHand

Comment

Hey thank guys for the response. I have a cart for my welder. But i dont have a welding table, I thank thats where i will start.

I was given an old SnapOn tool box (bottom half) that has a custome 1/8 steel plate bent to drop the box 3" and give it a lower center of gravity. I also have some fenders from a portable generator that was made stationary. The finders are 15"x5' if i weld them side by side and cut them to 3-1/2' that would make a good table.

Thank guys for getting the juices flowing. I'll post pix when i'm done.
          Tejas 214

Hobart 187
          Cutters
          Hammer
          File

Comment

the real kicker

Originally posted by Some Creep View Post
            You got a HH187 for your birthday? AND you've never welded before??

I wish I could have birthdays like that! It would actually make it worth HAVING the birthday just to get good stuff like that!

Lucky S.O.B......
            Yea its pretty cool. The real kicker is that my Father In-Law bought me the welder and an XTV series helmet. Aside from getting me the welder and stuff he is a great guy. I dont know if many can say that about there inlaws.
            Tejas 214

Hobart 187
            Cutters
            Hammer
            File

Comment

Sounds like the guy may have earned the first project as a gift maybe? I have a pretty cool father in law too, thank God. If it weren't for him, I wouldn't have a spare O/A set and a big stick welder he gave me when he moved (and a chainsaw, and a Genie crank-lift, and a new office desk set, and.....). I made him some iron inserts for his gates at his new house as a 'thank you'. Problem is, the inserts are too heavy for the existing gates and hinges, so now I'm making him 2 new gates to go with the iron inserts he has.
              I NEED MORE COWBELL!!!

'Red' Powcon 300ST (no torch yet)
              (ok, not really a 'Red'... )
              'Blue' Miller 35 (older than me and runs great), Thunderbolt AC arc (ditto)
              'Craftsman' AC arc (who made this originally?)
              O/A x 2 (both smaller than I'd like)
              14" Milwaukee chopper
              20t HF press (crap, but works)
              Buffalo forge w/ blower
              Alot of pumps!

"All of us know more than any of us."- TexHand

Comment

Have a look at these:

http://www.millerwelds.com/interests/projects/

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/knowl...ldingtable.asp

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/knowl...offeetable.asp

http://www.millerwelds.com/challenge/

Google: "welding projects"
                Garfish

Comment

Smart father-n-law , now when he has a welding project ,poof he has a welder to take care of it. He will likely find lot's of projects for you.

Lou
                  South Louisiana

Comment

Originally posted by loulou61 View Post
                    Smart father-n-law , now when he has a welding project ,poof he has a welder to take care of it. He will likely find lot's of projects for you.

Lou
                    South Louisiana
                    It has begun
                    Tejas 214

Hobart 187
                    Cutters
                    Hammer
                    File

Comment

Working...
                    X