Wiring Shop Lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

220v

I recently wired up two 220V in wall heaters in a residence. One in a bedroom, the other on a four-season sunroom of the house. I even put in DPDT wall switches for the heaters. Inspector came in, saw the wiring, checked it thoroughly. Put stamp of approval on it and let me finish up the task for the homeowner. No prob! Wouldn't that have violated that rule too?
    Just Wondering.
    Jim Don

Comment

Sorry I'm working long days wiring radio stations. My code book is on the job, but it states between conductors. I thought in reference to ground also until I looked it up. I'll look it up tomorrow and get the section, but I think somewhere in 210. I had meant to bring my handbook to leave in my room just for stuff like this but it's still on my desk at the house. Just applies to dwelling units and hotel rooms.

Keith
      Hobart Champion 10,000
      Montgomery Ward 230A stick
      cheesy Century flux core wire feed

Comment

I dont have my code book here, but the reference i made was for 'residential lighting'. Of course you can have an electric range or a heater. It's a code about lighting. As far as the code section, try looking under 'light fixtures'...it's a little further back in the book.

Comment

I remembered you can look at the NEC online.

210.6 Branch Circuit Voltage Limitations.

A. Occupancy Limitation
          In dwelling units the voltage shall not exceed 120v, nominal, between conductors that supply the terminals of the following:
          1. Luminaires (lighting fixtures)

2. Cord and plug connected loads 1440 VA or less or less than 1/4 HP

But It could possibly be allowed if electric discharge luminaires.

Anything having to do with houses is definitely not my expertise, so anybody that has better info I always want to learn more. I've never worked in a house and had to get an inspection, all commercial and industrial work for me. I'm not sized real well for attic work, try to stay away from it unless it's my own.

Keith
          Hobart Champion 10,000
          Montgomery Ward 230A stick
          cheesy Century flux core wire feed

Comment

Keith, while you were typing that, i found a code book and saw the same article...lol..Definition of a 'luminare' includes a ballast type fixture which would include a flourecent or hid fixture.

Comment

Thanks. Anyone know why the rule for luminaires?
              I may not be good looking, but I make up for it with my dazzling lack of personality

Comment

I'd have to locate a code 'handbook' to get that answer. It usually gives good explanations of code rules.

Comment

Working...
                X