Bobcat Re-Hab of My Own

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bobcat Re-Hab of My Own

Many of you probably saw DDA52's thread awhile back detailing his complete re-hab and makeover of his 225G. I picked up a 225NT recently that while mechanically sound (and not needing a new engine like Don's did) was just fugly, both from being truck mounted out in the weather and from the PO just letting it just get beat up over the years.

I have undertaken a cosmetic restoration on this machine, which of course has turned out to be more work than I ever anticipated... funny how my projects always seem to turn out that way...

First picture is when I hauled it home. It's just rusty, dinged, and banged up all over. I think the PO must have used this for ball-peen hammer practice...
    Last edited by Zrexxer; 09-10-2007, 11:34 AM.
    Trailblazer 302 * Millermatic 212 * Syncrowave 180SD * X-Treme 12VS Feeder * Spoolmate 3035
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 Plasma * Lincoln 175 MIG

Victor Superrange II * Victor Journeyman

Hobart HH 125EZ

I stripped all the body panels off and started bumping out dents and creases with a hammer and dolly. While that was underway, I cleaned up the base and all the engine shrouds that would get new black paint. I used TSC low-gloss black Tractor and Implement enamel on these with the hardener, and I think it turned out really well. I sourced a factory decal kit from the dealer to replace all the labels and logos.
    Trailblazer 302 * Millermatic 212 * Syncrowave 180SD * X-Treme 12VS Feeder * Spoolmate 3035

Hobart HH 125EZ

Comment

After getting the body panels (mostly) flat again, I elected to just sand them and prime from there rather than doing a full white blast like I'd originally planned to. Just one of those little reality adjustments that happen in the middle of a project sometimes. I got these sanded and shot with primer this weekend.

Where threaded holes in the sheetmetal were stripped out, I used a Marson Threadsetter tool to put threaded rivet nuts in place, so that there won't be an issue with threads again on this machine.

I decided after the hours and hours I'd already spent on prep that a little extra money spent on paint wasn't going to be wasted, so I went to the local PPG dealer and got a quart of catalyzed acrylic urethane automotive paint matched to the inside of one of the panels. When I get the remaining little scratches and dings finished I'll shoot the color coat and apply the remaining decals and labels, and post pictures.

Hobart HH 125EZ

Comment

Nice, in most cases a decent used machine is about as good as a new one, takes a long time to put a hundred working hrs on one unless you are full time with it. I rehab a couple of mine, wasn't real fussy but they needed paint and it was a situation of it being easier sooner than later.
        http://www.facebook.com/cary.urka.urkafarms

Comment

You're getting there. Looking great. New blue coat and everything will be good again.

Comment

Looks pretty good. Would you be willing to do some rehab on another old Miller for me or at least look at it and see what you think? I'm only about an hour north of you. I don't care much about the cosmetics, just need to get the motor running, and check out the "welder" side. I think all I need is a carburetor and fuel pump for the engine, (seems to have good compression and timing seems fine) but I don't know enough about the engine to determine which carb to get, and at 200+ bucks, don't wanna do the whole trial and error process.
            Contact me for any metal polishing needs you may have, my avatar is a pic of a standard, painted fire axe that I ground, sanded polished and buffed to a mirror finish.

Comment

Looking good, Zrexx. Can't wait for the blue. I wanna see how close they got it.

Of course, once it is done, you will have to have it with you when you drift my way again.
              Don

Go Spurs Go!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
                You're getting there. Looking great. New blue coat and everything will be good again.
                Today, after hours of wet-sanding primer it finally got blue. I wish I had a better place to spray than out on sawhorses and then carrying back into the shop, but I hate painting more than I hate mowing grass, so I will never do enough of it to justify a spray booth.

The Urethane laid down really well, giving me good gloss and coverage right out of the gun. When I get the factory decals back on it and get it reassembled, of course I'll post more pics

Hobart HH 125EZ

Comment

Looks great to me. I definitely like that blue better than mine.
                  Don

Go Spurs Go!!!!!!

Comment

Another mid-point update... haven't got it reassembled yet, but the panels are all done and decals are on... It's getting close!

Hobart HH 125EZ

Comment

LOOKING GREAT! I just love that miller blue!
                      Hobart Hood
                      Lincoln 3200 HD
                      Harris Port-A-Torch

The REDNECK Inferno Forge
                      110lb. Anvil
                      A Few Hammers
                      lil` Clarke Bandsaw
                      Git-R-Done Thanks, Chris

Comment

miller blue-star 2 E

I have been looking for a 16 h.p. motor for my gasser for about 6 months,it's an old "pre bobcat "model .........i got it cheap $80.00 and it ran about 10 hours before the crank bearing crapped out.....northern hyd is a little pricey
                        anyone have a motor laying around?

tigamajig79 /chris mathieu

Comment

Veeeeeeeerrrryyyyyy nice.
                          Don

Go Spurs Go!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X