Another Gong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Gong

This one does not have the clanger placed in it yet...I'm waiting to see if the lady wants a rope or wind sail type...I know its similar to the last one, but it got snapped up, and another lady wanted a similar one...

"Good Enough Never Is"

Nice work
    Jim
    Jim Young
    www.jimyo.com

Comment

I love THE GONG SHOW REPEATS. GREAT color

Comment

Here is my "first gong" with HotFoots guidance, they just have to get better...
        Jim Young
        www.jimyo.com

Comment

That's a great little gong, JimYo! Looks very nice, and I like the finish! Great job! Whats the clanger made from?

I just made an aluminum one that I just cannot get to sound good...its very 'clanky' and shrill...yet I've done other aluminums that sound better than the steel!!?? I've tried metal, wood, and hard plastic clangers on this guy...all to no avail..
          Hotfoot
          Last edited by Hotfoot; 09-11-2007, 09:36 AM.
          "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

^ it might be too long and the resonates have to far to travel. also remember that aluminum is soft which could also be throwing it off -
            God Bless America

[

Comment

"clanger" is center bend from a scroll made from 1/2 square bar ... going to add a bottom rope and "handle"
              Jim Young
              www.jimyo.com

Comment

Originally posted by Hotfoot View Post
                That's a great little gong, JimYo! Looks very nice, and I like the finish! Great job! Whats the clanger made from?

I just made an aluminum one that I just cannot get to sound good...its very 'clanky' and shrill...yet I've done other aluminums that sound better than the steel!!?? I've tried metal, wood, and hard plastic clangers on this guy...all to no avail..
                slowly cut a little off the bottom until it sounds better...of course who am I? Your the GONG king LOL
                Nickoli
                ~ OUCH...OUCH...#@&$ OUCH... That didn't take long to look at! ~

Lincoln Pro Mig175
                Hypertherm Powermax600
                Victory Journeyman O/Lp
                Jet 4x6 Bandsaw
                Craftsman Chop Saw
                Craftsman 15in Stationary Drill Press
                Grizzly Compact Bender
                Many Other Various Tools

Comment

Before you start cutting the cylinder to length try the head of a hard rubber mallet I think you will like the sound . if it works go to HF and buy one of their cheap rubber mallets and mount it up inside. Uncrichie.

Comment

Good suggestion, Uncle Richie, but really didn't make much of an improvement, if any, so as per Nickoli, I went in and cut off 4"...no change...another 4" sounds better. I'll play with some different clappers tomorrow, but the metal bearing race I had it now sounds bell-like, so that might be a go!
                    "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

Very nice bells folks. How do you cut them? Most horizontal band saws that I can afford don't have 10" depth of cut needed for cutting large tanks. Can I cut and rotate a tank in a smaller horizontal saw to get the job done? I was thinking of using a plasma torch but I'm pretty sure that I won't get a very even cut.
                      Thanks for the help.
                      John

Comment

Yup, you just stop the saw, very carefully rotate a bit, re-clamp and go again, On my 6x10 saw, one rotation was all I needed. You have to stay right in the cut, so I've found it best to rotate just to a point where the blade will still lower right back into the slot. Like all cuts, I use liberal amounts of my friend, Aqua Cut (no mess, smells nice!).

The plasma will do a very nice job if you use a guide. I have some of those plastic "vertical blinds" that so many homes and offices have used. I duct tape an end, then wrap them to get about a 1/4" height. They are wide enough to give a nice, accurate guide. They are scrap, so they can get a bit scorched...but not much when I drag-cut. I just did another with the plasma yesterday, and intentionally free-hand cut (following a painted guide line), because sometimes the ragged edge is what I'm looking for.

I also cut some using the chop saw, rotating, once again...but the band saw has pretty much replaced that.
                        "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

Thanks for the advice! How about some follow-up questions...
                          Where are likely places to get old O2/Argon tanks to use for bells (local gas suppliers send theiir tanks out of town and local steel recycle yard does not get any)?
                          Any luck with using the bottom portion of the tanks too - all the pics I have seen are of the top 1/2?
                          Thanks again!
                          John

Comment

I've made a few gongs. The best sounds I've gotten were from OLD steel fire extinguishers. From what I've seen, the older the better. They seem to have the type of steel that "rings" forever. There is a fire extinguisher place here that gets a few old ones from time to time and they don't go back into service. He's actually given me a few of them. I normally hand him a $10 and say "here's your lunch" . I figure that way he won't mind letting me have a few when he gets them. I cut them in a chop saw if they will fit, otherwise I mark a line and use a cutoff disc on a 4.5" grinder. With a little practice you can cut pretty straight.... well at least straight enough for a gong.

First pic is the first gong I did. It's from the fire extinguisher in the 2nd pic. Bottom pic is a larger extinguisher that I built a swinging frame for. I have no idea why, but it seemed like a good idea at the time.
                            Jim

Miller MM 210
                            Miller Dialarc 250P
                            Airco 225 engine driven
                            Victor O/A
                            Lots of other tools and always wanting more

Comment

I've found a few old cylinders on Craig's list. I think the steel O2 cylinders and the aluminum medical O2 cylinders sound about the same when hit with a mallet or hammer but the steel seems to ring for a longer period of time. This gong and stand will continue to ring for over 90 seconds after being hit. Not sure if it's the length of the cylinder or the stand that keeps it ringing. If you're standing next to it, you can see vibration in the top half of the stand.
                              I usually cut these with plasma and it does fine...very little dross to clean up if you angle the torch away from your cut. I want to try cutting some slits in the bottom or maybe some flames to see if it changes the sound.
                              Hotfoot, I like the looks of your hot linseed oil treatment. Have you tried it on an aluminum cylinder?

Comment

Working...
                              X