Disk Brake Rotors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disk Brake Rotors

I've got some disk brake rotors that I removed from my truck. I thought about using them for some kind of worklight pole base, which I don't really need. What have you used them for? I'm looking for ideas, since it would give me a chance to use my HH175.

Thanks!

Don

" A dog is just a dog unless he is staring you in the face, then he is Mr. Dog" - Haitian Farmer
    HH175

Brake rotors are cast iron, and will be difficult to get a good, high strength weld. This being said, I know that there are lots of grinder stands, work lamp stands, and supports for welding curtains made out of rotors.
    A fairly good weld can be made with flux core on cast, for some reason, it just seams to work better than solid wire, possibly because of the polarity being reversed.
    Be adventursome, experiment, have fun.
    work safe, always wear your safety glasses.

Edward Heimbach

Comment

Brake drums and rotors are cast steel or is this another senior moment.

Comment

Roger, you are having another senior moment.
        Go to any brake shop and look at the dust and flakes that come off when a drum or a rotor is turned, if it was steel the dust and flakes would be shavings instead.
        steelhanger

Comment

Originally posted by Roger
          Brake drums and rotors are cast steel or is this another senior moment.
          I really don't know what they are but, take a grinder to 'em...if the sparks are red, they're cast iron...if they're yellow. they're steel

Comment

Based on Rocky's suggestion, this particular set of rotors is cast iron. Now, what to do with them, is my question of the day.

Thanks, Everyone
            HH175

Comment

WELD THEM TOGETHER ALL 4 OF THEM AND SET A POTTED PLANT INSIDE THEM..........EUREKA......... SETTING ON THE CORNER OF THE PORCH AIN'T NO ONE GOING TO KNOCK THEM OFF EASILY...... THAT THOUGHT HAD BEEN BANGING AROUND IN MY HEAD SINCE I READ THE POST YESTERDAY.........
              EVERYONE'S BUYING YARD ART TURN THEM INTO A FLOWER.... GRIN......... ........
              YOU KNOW THE OLD TRAP DOOR IN THE BARN THAT ALWAYS FALLS DOWN ON YOU........ COUNTER WEIGHT TO HOLD THE DOOR UP........
              OK..............WHO HAS OTHER IDEAS PLEASE CHIME IN..... .............ROCK
              [email protected]

Comment

add some re-bar legs and a head and make steel turtles

or

rotors usually ring pretty well, maybe a manly wind chime
                Last edited by Bob; 10-10-2002, 08:17 AM.

Comment

CHIME ON IN............. .........CHIME......ROCK[email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by CyberianHusky
                    Based on Rocky's suggestion, this particular set of rotors is cast iron. Now, what to do with them, is my question of the day.

Thanks, Everyone
                    Don

To verify your findings I looked through a couple of automotive textbooks that I have, and the answer is that rotors are made from cast iron as your spark test showed.

So with this being known and if you want to use them as a base for a stand, I would weld a flange, that has holes that match up with the holes on the rotor, to a column. Then bolt the flange and rotor together.

If your going to turn them into some type of art work, braze welding would be my prefered process to use.

If they were brake drums I would suggest a forge. My Dad made a forge from a couple of brake drums, some pipe, and a small squirrel cage fan. He built this roughly 25 years ago to use for shoeing the horses that we had at the time. He still uses it to this day for other tasks now.

Anyway, for educational purposes Im attaching a picture of a couple of diagrams showing what the results of a cast iron spark test should look like.
                    Last edited by Dan; 05-01-2009, 08:15 AM.
                    MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
                    Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Comment

cast iron sparks

DAN...............You let me down!!!!! I opened your picture and expected to see a nice color photo of a stream of bright red cast iron sparks.
                      bitternut

Comment

Originally posted by Bob
                        add some re-bar legs and a head and make steel turtles

or

rotors usually ring pretty well, maybe a manly wind chime
                        I read a thread on the science/joining/welding news group where they were takling about making wind chimes from old oxygen bottles! Can you imagine the sound????? Talk about overkill...

Comment

Re: cast iron sparks

Originally posted by bitternut
                          DAN...............You let me down!!!!! I opened your picture and expected to see a nice color photo of a stream of bright red cast iron sparks.
                          Sorry, but you aren t going to see that one from my camera. I d really like to live a little longer. If my wife were to find out that I used her $300 digital camera to take such a picture , I wouldn t make it to my 35 th birthday.
                          MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
                          Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Comment

Dan , if 34 makes you a 'middle aged member' , then I'm looking to change my member status. How did you do that anyway, is there a backdoor in this program that allows a status change?
                            work safe, always wear your safety glasses.

Edward Heimbach

Comment

Ed,

You can change the title under your name, but going to PROFILE, EDIT PROFILE, and put in the title you want displayed.

Hope this helps.
                              Thanks
                              Gary Wolboldt

Comment

Working...
                              X