Need Idea to cut teeth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Idea to cut teeth

Im working on my backhoe and need a idea here.

I have 1 1/2 X 2" solid bar stock. I need to cut a 15 Degree ange on the back side of the barstock.

HELP

Dont think I have the time to cut with my bandsaw by hand. Tryed useing the torch. but that got messy and, got my shoes on fire!

SO if you all have a IDEA Please help out here!

Thanks

OMS
    OMS
    HH175
    Red Tomstone W/ HF for TIG
    Old Miller Engine Driven 225 Amp AC Stick Welder
    Smith O/A X 2
    Harris O/A
    BridgePort
    MSC cut off BandSaw 6X12"
    And more!
    Shop Mechanic for Brinks Coin

You may have to have it done on a milling machine.
    John

Comment

Re: Need Idea to cut teeth

Originally posted by Old Man Stick
      Im working on my backhoe and need a idea here.

I have 1 1/2 X 2" solid bar stock. I need to cut a 15 Degree ange on the back side of the barstock.

HELP

Dont think I have the time to cut with my bandsaw by hand. Tryed useing the torch. but that got messy and, got my shoes on fire!

SO if you all have a IDEA Please help out here!

Thanks

OMS
      You can do it with your torch, but it is still tricky. You'll need the right size tip, and the the right gas pressure, this is critical here.

Oh, yeah....cover up your shoes

Set up a straight edge to help keep your torch steady.
      Start by shaving, it and continue each shave pass not digging too deep, about a half kerf. Don't let the cut go so deep for the top of the material to fall in back ot the kerf. The material will eventually get hot enough to have you making smooth passes. The hotter it gets, it will cut smoother. Have your fire extinguisher handy!!

Comment

15 degree angle

If I am reading this correctly, you need to bevel the stock the long way.
        What I would do here, if it is for a component piece to a weldment, is to air-arc the material to the approximate dimensions, then dress with grinder.
        Granted , having the piece machined would make it more visually attractive, but if you are just going to weld the piece into something, and never see that side again, who cares how the material was removed.
        If you are steady with a torch, a new cutting tip goes a long way in helping make clean cuts.
        Make the cut towards the open side of the angle, otherwise trying to bevel from thin to thick on the waste piece becomes a problem.
        (You would be holding the torch on the side of the angle where the material is thickest). I hope I have been clear enough, sometimes what I say is not really as clear as I would like it to be. Ed
        work safe, always wear your safety glasses.

Edward Heimbach

Comment

OMS, aren't you out in Perry Ohio?? If you are, you can bring it to my shop and I will cut it for you.
          Respectfully,
          Mike Sherman
          Shermans Welding

Comment

Use a chop saw! Or put a friction blade on a circular saw and build a wood guide to cut it at the angle.

Dave

Comment

OMS......... NEVER CAUGHT MY SHOE ON FIRE, PANTS ABSOLUTELY...... HOWEVER I'VE DANCED AROUND THE SHOP MANY TIMES WHEN (WEARING THE WRONG LOW CUT SHOES) SPARKS GET INSIDE THE SHOE............ MAN I DANCE REAL GOOD TOO................. SMALL CUTS WILL WORK BUT MAKE SEVERAL.....IF MIKE IS CLOSE, HAVE HIM MACHINE IT........IF NOT IMPROVISE.. BUT BE SAFE.......CO 2 AND CHEMICAL FIRE EXTINGUISHER'S ARE NOT A BAD IDEA........................BE SAFE................DON'T START FIRE'S NOW........AND HOW BIG IS THE BUCKET ...............ROCK
              [email protected]MILLERWELDS.COM

Comment

cutting teeth

OMS,

Did you ever get those teet cut? I was thinking one might drill many modest size holes laterally (square to the sides and thru the full width) along the intended cut line. Connect the holes with a saw or modest cutting operation, then grind grind grind. Or let the rocks and soil of usage smooth it out.

I have a drill press but no milling machine. Also have a oxy-ace cutter but no fire proof shoes (and I'd probably need them since it has been a long time since I flame cut anything).

Bob
                Last edited by Bob; 10-08-2002, 07:02 PM.

Comment

bandsaw

Yea it looks like the best suggestion is to bring it by Mike's shop and mill or use whatever he has but my two cents is to use a vertical bandsaw any one would do and build a cutting jig from wood or whatever here is a crude picture of what I mean of course I may have misunderstood what you are trying to do but I had fun drawing anyway

goodtimes
                  weldinrayflashburn......my daddy was a clamper

Comment

Yea it looks like the best suggestion is to bring it by Mike's shop and
                    mill or use whatever he has but my two cents is to use a vertical
                    bandsaw any one would do and build a cutting jig from wood or
                    whatever here is a crude picture of what I mean of course I may have
                    misunderstood what you are trying to do but I had fun drawing anyway

Thanks for all the INPUT here on this.

rayflashburn, thanks for the idea but thats not how I need it cut. I would not need a jig to cut it. I need to take to 2X 1 1/2 lay it on its side ( 1 1/2 ) and keep the 2 inch width and cut a 15 degree angle on the back side to give to tooth relief so it will cut.

Mike Thanks for the offer. Right now its in a freind of the family's shop to be milled tommorow moring. I will have to try to get a pic of one before I install it here.

Thanks once more

OMS
                    OMS
                    HH175
                    Red Tomstone W/ HF for TIG
                    Old Miller Engine Driven 225 Amp AC Stick Welder
                    Smith O/A X 2
                    Harris O/A
                    BridgePort
                    MSC cut off BandSaw 6X12"
                    And more!
                    Shop Mechanic for Brinks Coin