Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saturday with Brad's "other" P&H

Hi!..

Had the gumption to put Brad's P&H on 230 volts !
    It works Great
    I think the HH187 is the best thing going Now-a Days !
    What will it be capable of after half a century ,,,THE TEST OF TIME !

By the way ..... this is what I mean by welding beyond vision !!!
    Forgot No reading glasses @ Jonco by-focals are for 2-1/2 feet & distance...for bar-work!
    don't sound right ...don't "feel" right ???....finnish the bead to register the info in the brain..

Opps .... loaded an 1/8" rod .... must have been put back in the 3/16 can !

That's better finnish the beed to load the info agian .....!
    the more you do it the better it gets , close your eyes alltogether if you want ,just for fun
    it works on low / med / high / H.F. works , but just used a stick ....
    soft start seems no different ...but didn't persist ....
    Brad can take it from here !
    by the way it looked like something big pushed the top in and bent the middel frame over ,

but didn't hurt the selenium stack .....I mashed the top back into shape .....
    and buttoned her back up for another journey !

Phil J.

P.S. the info. plate says output 28 volts ...but the volt meter says 38 volts .....????
    and I looked thru my magnifier so I read it right .....is 38 to high ??
    Last edited by vicegrip; 01-24-2007, 02:35 AM.
    sigpicViceGrip
    Negative people have a problem for every solution

Phil,

Your welding quality without your reading glasses is probably better than my welding with reading glasses (and yes I do need to use reading glasses )

I often wonder about all the modern machines with all the solid state components in them. 10 or 15 years from now are those nifty control boards even going to be available

I guess I'm an old fashioned kinda guy and like the dinosaur type stuff. Or maybe its because I make my living managing a group of PLC programmers and getting out of the high tech world after work just kinda sooths the nerves.

Thanks again for dealing with me on the P&H. Looking forward to it

Brad

Hobart BetaMig 200
    Linde HDA-200 AC/DC Tig/Stick
    Dayton Buzzbox

Comment

Should be good for another 50 years.

Comment

Originally posted by bkahler View Post
        Phil,

Your welding quality without your reading glasses is probably better than my welding with reading glasses (and yes I do need to use reading glasses )

I often wonder about all the modern machines with all the solid state components in them. 10 or 15 years from now are those nifty control boards even going to be available

I guess I'm an old fashioned kinda guy and like the dinosaur type stuff. Or maybe its because I make my living managing a group of PLC programmers and getting out of the high tech world after work just kinda sooths the nerves.

Thanks again for dealing with me on the P&H. Looking forward to it

Brad
        just for the record , even the second pic , is not to indicate that ,that would be a weld I would want to leave the shop .....just that with repeating a given movement/timing/angle type thing , and logging it into the brain , a point is reached where the limbs don't need as much coaching from the eyes......and variables are felt as well as seen

there was still another thing I couldn't explane ....untill today !!

I was puzzeling over the output voltage when I suddenly reallised 28 or 38 volts ??

I went and looked Miller 330 _ 80volts ---Linde 305 _ 78volts????
        What the .......

could be why it sounded different too ????
        more ??s & more ??s

Phil
        sigpicViceGrip

Comment

Another great post by Vice, good camera and weld work there. If you are measuring the
          open circuit voltage then the 28-32 might be low, Have your meter checked against a
          standard or other meter. Check the voltage when welding to see how low it goes. Some meters have a hard time measuring DC voltage with a lot of AC ripple intermingled with the DC, It appears that everything is alright voltage wise since you are getting good welds. I would be surprized if such an old machine would have a circuit to reduce the Open circuit voltage like the new welders do.
          PowCon 300SM
          Miller S-54D wire feeder
          Miller Blue Star
          Miller Maxstar 175 converted to Maxstar 152
          Miller Spoolmatic3

My inner child pretty much runs the place

Comment

Brasco- it's Berra
            Ed Conley
            Screaming Broccoli, Inc
            http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
            MM252
            MM211
            Miller Passport Plus, Spoolmate 100
            TA185
            SO 2020 Bender
            Miller 125c Plasma
            "Hold my beer while I try this!"

Comment

Other than a volt meter that wasn't reading right I wonder what would cause the voltage to be so low? Thats strictly a DC welder so the output is coming out of the selenium rectifier. Could that be a sign of a dying rectifier

It appears the welder has a volt meter on the front, were you using that to read the voltage from?

Hobart BetaMig 200
              Dayton Buzzbox

Comment

Originally posted by vicegrip View Post
                P.S. the info. plate says output 28 volts ...but the volt meter says 38 volts .....????
                and I looked thru my magnifier so I read it right .....is 38 to high ??
                there was still another thing I couldn't explane ....untill today !!

I was puzzeling over the output voltage when I suddenly reallised 28 or 38 volts ??

I went and looked Miller 330 _ 80volts ---Linde 305 _ 78volts????
                What the .......

could be why it sounded different too ????
                more ??s & more ??s

Phil
                Originally posted by Brasco View Post
                If you are measuring the
                open circuit voltage then the 28-32 might be low, Have your meter checked against a
                standard or other meter. Check the voltage when welding to see how low it goes. Some meters have a hard time measuring DC voltage with a lot of AC ripple intermingled with the DC, It appears that everything is alright voltage wise since you are getting good welds. I would be surprized if such an old machine would have a circuit to reduce the Open circuit voltage like the new welders do.
                Other than a volt meter that wasn't reading right I wonder what would cause the voltage to be so low? Thats strictly a DC welder so the output is coming out of the selenium rectifier. Could that be a sign of a dying rectifier

It appears the welder has a volt meter on the front, were you using that to read the voltage from?
                I'll go look again closer but I could swear the plate said output 28 volts , I know the meter said 38??

what's on the plate on that pretty Ebay P&H ??

AaHhhhhhhhhh!!!! Wear Me Out !!
                Last edited by vicegrip; 01-23-2007, 02:32 AM.
                sigpicViceGrip

Comment

Phil,

Were you reading the volts while welding or when idling? When idling it should be reading 68 volts which is the open circuit volts and while welding you should read 25 volts.

The P&H that I have reads 68 volts in DC mode when idling or open circuit. I did not read the load volts because I was welding with it outside and the welder was inside the shop.

Interesting mystery

Brad

Hobart BetaMig 200
                  Dayton Buzzbox

Comment

Phil,

Were you reading the volts while welding or when idling? When idling it should be reading 68 volts which is the open circuit volts and while welding you should read 25 volts.

The P&H that I have reads 68 volts in DC mode when idling or open circuit. I did not read the load volts because I was welding with it outside and the welder was inside the shop.

Interesting mystery

Brad
                    I think it's doing what it's sposed to....the meter isn't looking for 80 volts !!
                    Iy was reading 38 volts ideling
                    ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????

Last edited by vicegrip; 01-23-2007, 12:37 PM.
                    sigpicViceGrip

Comment

Vice does come up with interesting questions. Wonder if the 0-50 meter reads arc voltage only, and is put in the circuit when the welder senses current on the output.
                      Thanks Broccoli1 for the spell check ! Yogi would not be happy if he found out.
                      PowCon 300SM
                      Miller S-54D wire feeder
                      Miller Blue Star
                      Miller Spoolmatic3

Comment

Originally posted by Brasco View Post
                        Vice does come up with interesting questions. Wonder if the 0-50 meter reads arc voltage only, and is put in the circuit when the welder senses current on the output.
                        Thanks Broccoli1 for the spell check ! Yogi would not be happy if he found out.
                        Brasco & Vicegrip,

The DAR-300 that I have a manual for which is slightly newer than the welder that Phil has shows a 100 vdc meter on the schematic. It shows it connected from the positive side of the recitifier to the output side (negative side of rectifier) of the stabilizing reactor. It should be reading voltage anytime you're selected for DC and the welder is turned on.

Be interesting to see the schematic for Phil's welder.

Brad

Hobart BetaMig 200
                        Dayton Buzzbox

Comment

I'll get to the schematic , but it'll be a day or so , need to focus on necessities for now

Phil
                          sigpicViceGrip

Comment

I'll get to the schematic , but it'll be a day or so , need to focus on necessities for now

Phil
                            Phil,

No hurry

We're heading out of town thursday morning for my wifes grandfathers 97th birthday (at that age you celebrate everyone of them ). Won't be back until thursday next week and I'm pretty sure we will have minimal or no web access during that time.

Thanks

Brad

Hobart BetaMig 200
                            Dayton Buzzbox

Comment

The schematic makes sense the way the meters are connected. Thanks for posting the schematic.
                              PowCon 300SM
                              Miller S-54D wire feeder
                              Miller Blue Star
                              Miller Spoolmatic3

Comment

Working...
                              X