Another Calweld style job -- BIG Plow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Calweld style job -- BIG Plow

Ok, to tell the truth I don't know why I get these, I don't go out looking for stuff like this, they just find me

This is a plow, goes 4 1/2 feet deep, it's a rollover so you throw all the dirt the same way going back and forth across the field. You can see in the picture the iron necessary to pull this thing, two D-8's, front one is a D-8K rear is an old 36A with cable, and a high-horse motor. I have another customer, has something similar, but two plows, one righthand and one lefthand, pull both behind the rear cat, only one is in the ground at any one time, he uses a D-9 in front.

I did a lot of work on these about six or seven years ago, lined both plowshares with 1/2" plow steel (high carbon) flatbar, reworked the point and bottom blade, built a whole new subframe on the bottom of each half to support the points. Had to do quite a bit of structural work too, this thing was a mess. And a LOT of hardfacing.

In fact, that's why I was out this morning, had to touch up the hardfacing a little, land side was taking a beating, all the pressure forces the plow against the cut, wears metal fast if it's not protected. It's already gone past where it's worth salvaging, we just wanted to get enough hardfacing on so it will make it another 40 acres or so. Next time we'll just replace the wearstrips entirely and re-hardface them, just not enough time to do it right now.

Fourth picture I stopped half-way through rolling it, fifth picture is the field it is working in right now.
    *** Disclaimer ***

As I have no wish to toy with anybody's life, I suggest you take this and all other posts with a certain amount of skepticism. Carefully evaluate, and if necessary, research on your own any suggestions or advice you might pick up here, especially those from my posts, as I obviously haven't the skill and experience exhibited by some of the more illustrious and more successful members of this forum. I'm not responsible for anything I say, as I drank toxic water when young.

Now that is quite the California plow. It looks like it has had a few birthdays.
    Looks like you had fun lining it.
    My question is why do they need to go so deep?

Comment

Now thats a plow. I thought the farmers around here used some big equipment but nothing like that. What is it a combination sub soiler & plow?

Comment

That's impressive! I've seen land cleared of small trees and brush with a big plow, but that looks like cultivated land. What is the reason for turning land that deep?
        Jim

Miller MM 210
        Miller Dialarc 250P
        Airco 225 engine driven
        Victor O/A
        Lots of other tools and always wanting more

Comment

Wow! That is Never seen anything like that!

D-9, what the biggest dozer you’re seen?

Have you seen that one, on the west side of highway 99, down around Turlock?

If so I’ll bet it could pull this plow in high gear
          Dynasty 300 DX Tig Runner

Survey says!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blue is prettier than purple or yeller

Comment

That is going to be a PUMPKIN PATCH. They have found that the added altitude helps the germination.
            I was going to do that job with my Lincoln 135+, but the cord would not reach, so I called Calweld to bail me out.

Comment

First pic here is the soil profile, this land is on the fringes of the San Joaquin River Delta, peat is very thin, 8" to 12" in places. With row crops, normally not a problem, with permanent crops like grapes, irrigating with surface water, you get a salt layer on top of the subsoil, roots don't go through well. Notice the lack of roots in the subsoil, alfalfa is normally a deep rooted plant, most plants like a consistent soil mix. Not everybody does this, my two customers are the only ones who have them in this area, the other guy does it on everything, including his alfalfa ground, these guys do it only before planting grapes, but just comparing their grapes to the neighbor's you can see the difference in the plants.

This particular plow was a one-of-a-kind item, the more common version was the two singles, this came out of the Imperial Valley, I believe they were all built in Anaheim, 1950's and 1960's (cable mechanism here gives you an idea). They were used quite a bit in years past in Southern California and in the southern part of the San Joaquin valley, same reasons: well-defined, shallow soil layers.

Pile, the biggest common production crawler I know of is the D-11, which is the same as the old D-10. It would pull this, problem is it would probably fall into the cut from the last pass. You almost need two cats, the front one not only helps pull but also helps keep the rear one going straight, otherwise you're wearing out steering clutches and brakes all day. Second picture here is how we route the pull chain.

Rlarkin, your little 135+ would definitely pop a fuse here, you see the material on this thing you'll know what I mean. I don't remember what it weighs, I do know it was a permit load coming up, and not just because of the width.
              *** Disclaimer ***

As I have no wish to toy with anybody's life, I suggest you take this and all other posts with a certain amount of skepticism. Carefully evaluate, and if necessary, research on your own any suggestions or advice you might pick up here, especially those from my posts, as I obviously haven't the skill and experience exhibited by some of the more illustrious and more successful members of this forum. I'm not responsible for anything I say, as I drank toxic water when young.

Comment

Thanks calweld. That's interesting. I suspect a lot of folks here have ag backgrounds.
                Jim

Miller MM 210
                Miller Dialarc 250P
                Airco 225 engine driven
                Victor O/A
                Lots of other tools and always wanting more

Comment

Oh so you haven’t seen that building that’s made up like a huge dozer. I’m not sure if it’s an equipment rental outfit, or maybe a dirt moving contractor, but it will get your attention when you see it. Way north of Seattle in Mount Vernon right off I-5 there is a crane rental out fit, that has their building set up just like a huge crane, has a boom, load lines down to a huge load block, again really gets your attention when you see it.

Survey says!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

No, never saw that, but haven't been down that way for a few years.
                    *** Disclaimer ***

Comment

Originally posted by Pile Buck View Post
                      Wow! That is Never seen anything like that!

Have you seen that one, on the west side of highway 99, down around Turlock?
                      "A giant built bulldozer sits alongside freeway 99 in Turlock, California and is a businesses office for United Equipment Company."

http://www.unitedequipmentcompany.com/home.asp
                      Ed Conley
                      Screaming Broccoli, Inc
                      http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                      MM252
                      MM211
                      Miller Passport Plus, Spoolmate 100
                      TA185
                      SO 2020 Bender
                      Miller 125c Plasma
                      "Hold my beer while I try this!"

Comment

That’s it! Wow Ed you’re quite the detective!

Someone setting back reading this, might think I spent a lot of time behind a windshield driving up and down the west coast!

Survey says!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Calweld, that's quite the plow, never knew something like that existed.D-9 is the largest I've worked around, but I hope to see one of the new Super Komatsus (ie D11 size) one of these days. Just how do they keep from burning out the steering clutches pulling that thing?
                          Proud owner of Bushwacker Mobile Welding
                          Pictures

Comment

Calweld,

Do you have any pics of the plow in the ground?
                            Brian
                            Oxweld C-32 torch (retired, but still ready for service)
                            Ryobi 14" Chop Saw
                            HF (Chicago Electric) Metal Cutting Circular Saw

Comment

Calweld, that's quite the plow, never knew something like that existed.D-9 is the largest I've worked around, but I hope to see one of the new Super Komatsus (ie D11 size) one of these days. Just how do they keep from burning out the steering clutches pulling that thing?
                              A few years ago, before the D10/D11 became the standard, it wasn't uncommon to see two or three D9's hooked up, pulling deep rippers and slip plows, oftentimes with only one operator. Now, it's almost always a single D11 pulling rippers.

Two things about keeping straight -- first, we put a hydraulic cylinder on the swinging drawbar on the rear cat, you can actually move the front of the tractor with it under a load, if it's set in the right place it reduces drift, also the way the chain is fed through, the front cat helps keep the rear one straight. If I recall, the front cat has to run closer to the cut than the rear one, the rear cat tends to pull away from the cut.

Do you have any pics of the plow in the ground?
                              Ask and ye shall receive . . .

Action pics!!!!!

*** Disclaimer ***

Comment

Working...
                              X