OT Flea Invasion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT Flea Invasion

WE suddenly had a flea infestation, I sprayed and then flea bombed the place and their numbers wend down, but we still have them. I have been using "The Enforcer" brand from the hardware store. The cat doesn't go out side, but she has been given a flea bath, then a few days later, sprayed down and then used Top Spot on her.

Anyone have any ideas? My cheerleader daughter is getting bit to pieces and I am getting a few bites on my feet.

Jerry

I had that problem in college. The key is that ALL fabric has to be treated, and ALL clothing needs to be removed and cleaned at the same time as the entire house is being treated. Couch cushions have to be treated both sides, everything and I mean EVERYTHING. Every bit of cloth in the house has to be washed.
    The first time the apartment was treated, I washed my clothes and my roommates just threw their cloths in their car then brought them back. Sure enough we had a problem again. Had to go through it all another time, this time they washed their clothes. It worked the second time, but man was it bad. Always wondered afterwards about their car, they never mentioned anything.....
    Hope this helps....
    --Bob
    millr210, 125cf tank C-25w/.030 wire. spdgls 9002x. Jet 5x6 bndsw, HF chopsaw, 4.5 and 9 inch grindrs. .

Comment

Get rid of any carpet. Also, get some "Tropical Scent" Skintastic, and spray your ankles with it. It no longer smells like bug spray, and that works! They are tougher to get rid of than roaches, but you have to keep the killing up to destroy the new life cycles as they emerge. Read up on it on the internet. Is Top Spot a vet brand or over the counter? Many of the over the counters just don't work, although I'm having good luck with Seargents Gold on my cat, although it only lasts about 2 weeks before he starts to scratching again.
      "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

My two bits : call a pro. If you don't know where they came from, you may have an infestation outside in your yard too.
        For off topic conversations, discussions, rants, or even a dirty joke or two, click here

Comment

Fleas

I usually don't respond to OT subjects, but this one hits home.

I had that problem once and a friend that has several dogs suggested MuleTeam Borax detergent. Spinkle it every where. Under the mattresses, cushions, floor. It works. Make sure you do twice. The second time about 5-7 days after the first application to kill the new hatchlings. Just vacuum up the floor after a few hours.

Keith

Comment

For the long term....

Howdy Howdy! I have had the best luck with treating / removing the food. This is for the long term of course. You gotta use the best stuff on your critters. Advantage, like you'd get at the vet. You can get it from some farm supply stores as well. Theres another trick with the advantage, and that is that it uses the same strength for both dogs and cats. You can buy the dog size for alot cheeper per volume, and dose it out yourself for your cats. Try to be good about the right volume though. Treat in spring through fall. Good Luck! Brian Lee Sparkeee27

Comment

DDT, (yea, I know, I'm an a**hole)

Comment

These people are nice to work with. http://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/ They have stuff for fleas that will work.
                What do I know I am just an electronics technician.

Comment

W did the spray and cleaning all fabric, I may pull the carpet up and dispose of it. I may go with a pro.

The web site that Mike W posted has a lot of good products and ideas.

As that DDT is illegal to poses and use, and I disposed of all that we found here, that is not an option. How about some Det Cord????? Blow them little buggers away?

Jerry

Comment

pest control website

Howdy Howdy! I too have used the doityourselfpestcontroll website! The information helped alot at my carpenter and issues. We won the battle! for this season... Good luck with your battle! Brian Lee Sparkeee27

Comment

Originally posted by miestro_jerry
                      As that DDT is illegal to poses and use, and I disposed of all that we found here, ...
                      I must admit that's the first thing I thought of.

Comment

Second the "Advantage" recommendation we have a dog and two cats, when we started using Advantage our flea and tick problems went away. We didn't do anything else but treat the animals and the problem was solved.

Comment

W did the spray and cleaning all fabric, I may pull the carpet up and dispose of it. I may go with a pro.

The web site that Mike W posted has a lot of good products and ideas.

As that DDT is illegal to poses and use, and I disposed of all that we found here, that is not an option. How about some Det Cord????? Blow them little buggers away?

Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by Pumpkinhead
                            DDT, (yea, I know, I'm an a**hole)
                            Yeah, but a funny A**hole
                            Ed Conley
                            Screaming Broccoli, Inc
                            http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                            MM252
                            MM211
                            Miller Passport Plus, Spoolmate 100
                            TA185
                            SO 2020 Bender
                            Miller 125c Plasma
                            "Hold my beer while I try this!"

Comment

Jerry,
                              We had them BAD a few years ago. We used table salt, lots of it but it's pretty cheap, on all the carpet, bedding, couch, and chairs. Should take less than a day to kill them. Make sure to vac the place afterward and take the bag(s) outside when you are done.

We also used the drops from the vet to put on the back of all the pets, 15 cats and 3 dogs. After two years of using the drops, we haven't seen them for about five years and no longer need to treat the animals. The drops interupt the life cycle of the fleas, after a generation or so the eggs don't hatch. No new fleas, no more problem.

Good luck!
                              Dave
                              HH187, TA 185 AC/DC Arcmaster, Hypertherm Powermax 380 Plasma
                              Smithy 1220 LX Lathe
                              Peter Wright 132 (198lbs) anvil
                              Hoods: Jackson Nexgen and Hobart/Miller XLi
                              Victor compatible med duty OA setup
                              Chop Saw, 4x6 Band Saw

Comment

Working...
                              X