Security Screen Door Plans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security Screen Door Plans?

Hi. I've enjoyed reading all of your posts since I first discovered this forum a couple of months ago. Now I have a question...

Does anyone know where I can find (buy or copy) plans to weld up a security screen door for my home entryway? I'd like to build one and have it powdercoated. If I can't find plans, guess I'll have to make my own by taking tape measure, pad, pencil and spending some time at the Depot display.
    Scott

Miller XMT 350 CC/CV
    Miller 22 A wirefeeder w/Bernard 400A Q-gun
    Miller 30A Spoolmatic/WC-24 Weld Control
    Hypertherm Powermax 30
    CK 210 torch / WP-18 torch
    Victor, Harris O/A cart
    4"x6" Enco bandsaw on raised cart
    Dewalt Chop, etc.

Originally posted by Dmaxer1
    Hi. I've enjoyed reading all of your posts since I first discovered this forum a couple of months ago. Now I have a question...

Does anyone know where I can find (buy or copy) plans to weld up a security screen door for my home entryway? I'd like to build one and have it powdercoated. If I can't find plans, guess I'll have to make my own by taking tape measure, pad, pencil and spending some time at the Depot display.
    I often find I vary my mounting style depending on the design of the entry door and its mouldings. Post a picture of your front door and we might have some ideas.

Other than than, they're sort of easy as long as you make them squared.

Here's one I charged a pretty penny to build and install:

Comment

Thanks...Here is a photo

Thanks MAC for your reply! Your comments on building the door square are well taken. Here is a photo (I hope I did the upload correctly). My entryway exterior door opening measured from jamb to jamb and header to threshold is 42.75" wide by 80.5" high.

Specifically, I'm wondering if I'll have to fabricate the housing for the lockset or if those can be obtained prefabricated.
      Scott

Miller XMT 350 CC/CV
      Hypertherm Powermax 30
      Victor, Harris O/A cart
      Dewalt Chop, etc.

Comment

I always buy my lock boxes from my local steel supplier. He has two sizes each in 1-hole or 2-hole. They are also available here, but skip to page 2 for the real ones:

http://www.kingmetals.com/Default.as...&CurrentPage=1

Try the picture again, after clicking on "manage attachments" below, then browse and double-click your file (make sure it is resized for e-mail first) and then click upload, then close that window when it's done and send the reply.

Comment

This is one of my fav art/fab sites. Lots of gates and doors.

http://www.zenzibar.com/CosmicSteel/gates.htm
          Garfish

Comment

This is one I built for my own home, prior to it being painted. Mac is right, buy your lockboxes, they're like $3 - $6 apiece, trying to make one is just counterproductive.
            Trailblazer 302 * Millermatic 212 * Syncrowave 180SD * X-Treme 12VS Feeder * Spoolmate 3035
            Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 Plasma * Lincoln 175 MIG

Victor Superrange II * Victor Journeyman

Hobart HH 125EZ

Comment

When I first started building doors, I would spend a lot of time laying out the box in the door at the same time as the frame pieces.

I've found it much easier to build the door WITHOUT the lock box and the cut and weld it in after the door is done. Anybody else do this? Or what do you do?

Comment

probably not relevant but it just dawned on me that if you we're doing this for security as well as ventilation you should use the double lock box so that you have a keyed lock on both sides of the door. otherwise someone might just rip your screen and reach inside to open the door. I'm sure you already thought of that part and i'm just thinking slowly but it's almost 2am.

Comment

Thanks!

All good advice, thanks. I'll definitely buy a lockbox after I figure out what the difference is between the various types and what the catalog nomenclature means.

I'll probably use some kind of perforated metal or extra heavy wire weave rather than regular window screen material just to reduce the chance of a rip/enter scenario. The idea of a double cylinder deadbolt is too risky in case of a fire and a dropped key IMHO. I also like the idea of a pre-hung security door, hinged to its own steel jamb frame with a flange through which I can run bolts into the wall around the exterior door opening. It sounds easier to build a squared-up jamb frame that fits snugly into the opening, take the frame back into the garage and finally build a door to fit the frame.
                  Scott

Miller XMT 350 CC/CV
                  Hypertherm Powermax 30
                  Victor, Harris O/A cart
                  Dewalt Chop, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Dmaxer1
                    I also like the idea of a pre-hung security door, hinged to its own steel jamb frame with a flange through which I can run bolts into the wall around the exterior door opening. It sounds easier to build a squared-up jamb frame that fits snugly into the opening, take the frame back into the garage and finally build a door to fit the frame.
                    Sure, it sounds good. Trust me, though. It's a pain. It'll be a LOT easier for you since you don't have to transport it across town, though. You can always use a temporary bottom piece that helps give it some rigidity during moving it, though, if you feel it needs it.

Comment

Modifed Home Depot

Hi,

We had a Home Depot security door on our house which had rusted with age. When we painted the house we were going to get it powder coated but the powder coat place couldn't/wouldn't do it because they would not have been able to sandblast and clean the spaces under the expanded metal.

I gutted the door, keeping the hinges, lock box, and framework. The expanded metal is not welded to the door but attched with machine screws. On the interior side there is a moulding made of 2" x 1/8 thick flatstock that holds on the expanded metal and "finishes" the look. The fact that it can be disassembled allowed each of the pieces to be powdercoated.

Comment

Here is one I made for my mom-in-law

Here is a security door i made for my mom-in-law. Measurements were 100" tall x 36" wide. I used 1"x1.5" rectangle 16 guage tubing for the frame, 1/4" hammered round stock for the vines, thin metal stamped leaves and hand forged copper roses. I didn't want to do just a rectangle door because I wanted it to be more decorative. I had it powder coated a black and copper vein. After all was said and done, it ran me about $375 at most.Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	665989Click image for larger version

Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	665990Click image for larger version

Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	665991Click image for larger version

Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	665989Click image for larger version

Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	665990Click image for larger version

Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	665991

Comment

I am considering a 96 x 72 door.

on the center door without lock how do you secure it to keep form being popped open.

also how do you hinge the door without the hinge pipe being took off from the outsides.

if you have links that would be helpful.

thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Doveguy1 View Post
                            ...on the center door without lock how do you secure it to keep form being popped open.

also how do you hinge the door without the hinge pipe being took off from the outsides....
                            Depends on the conditions around the door being secured.

Use hinges that are designed with a non-removable pin and that are welded on. Use one-way head lag screws to install new door frame to building framing.

Comment

Working...
                            X