Metal bending brake: layout 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metal bending brake: layout 3

Im back with some more pictures of the last few peices of our bending brake project. The first picture is a front view of the modified 3" X 5" angle iron, which is called the bending leaf. Besides the modification (stated in a previous post) that I made to the 1 1/2" dimension on this part, because I didn t have the 1 1/4" flat bar for the stiffeners, I made one more change. The change was to the 1 3/4 " dimension on the notches. I changed it to 1 1/2" to help increase the strength of the part a little more. However, there has been no sign of a problem from using the original dimension. The original machine was designed and fabricated at such a quick pace that the dimension of the notch was made a little to generous. Anyway, here is the first picture.
    Last edited by Dan; 03-05-2005, 03:23 PM.
    MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
    Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

This next picture is just a side view of the bending leaf. Just showning you the modified 3" leg.
    MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
    Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

Comment

The next picture is of the stiffeners that are welded onto the bending leaf. I know in the drawing I gave dimensions for the angle cut, but this angle doesn t really need to match those dimensions. I d leave the 4" dimesion and cut the peice to what ever angle you like. The only reason I angled this cut instead of just cutting a 90 degree cut is because I think it looks better.

PM 180C

Comment

This picture is of the bending leaf handle. Ther are actually two of this part I wasn t thinking and took the picture of just one of them. So remember you need two of them.

PM 180C

Comment

This picture is a front view of a simulated assembly of the previous parts in this posting.

PM 180C

Comment

This next picture is just a side view of the same simulation.

PM 180C

Comment

This last picture is just to show you how tight of a fit up that Im able to create at the radius using my stationary belt/disc sander combo machine.

PM 180C

Comment

Great stuff Dan !

What size belt/disc combo machine do you have ?

- jack

Comment

Originally posted by morpheus
                  Great stuff Dan !

What size belt/disc combo machine do you have ?

- jack
                  Jack

Actually I have 2 different belt/disc combo machine. One has a 1" wide belt and an 8" disc. The other has a 6" wide belt and a 9" disc. The 6" belt/ 9" disc works better on metal because it has a heavier duty induction 3/4 hp motor. where as the 1" belt/ 8" disc only has a 1/3 hp induction motor.

I can remove material at a good rate with the larger machine. The motor on the smaller machine gets hot if you apply to much pressure.

Originally, I was going to get a 6" belt/ 12" disc combo Industrial duty machine, but decided that I didn t want to spend the money for it. You should have seen the look on my wifes face when I decided to buy the next machine down from the heavy duty industrial. She wanted to take me to the doctors office. Reason being because up to this point I had purchased a 7" X 12" bandsaw and a heavy duty floor model drill press. The drill press has a 1 1/2 hp induction motor on it and the entire machine weighs over 500 lbs. I had to bring the machine into the shop one peice at a time. I had to have my dad help me put the head onto the column. Im not looking forward to the day when I have to move this machine. Anyway, I ve done more than answer your question.

PM 180C

Comment

Working...
                  X