4x6 bandsaw morse 14tpi teeth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4x6 bandsaw morse 14tpi teeth

I am using my HF 4x6 bandsaw for the 1st time. Morse blade 14tpi bi-metal.

I made a mistake. I used my bandsaw to cut a chain, well, it grabbed the blade and tore off a few teeth. Is my blade toast? Use it until it quits?

Also, cutting 1/8 angle I think it cust best with the angle on the saw like a teepee. Is this the way you guys saw angle too?

BTW, I am glad I still have the HF 14" abrasive chop saw, that thing is good for rough and nasty cutting -- ie chains.
    Last edited by chabat; 05-07-2006, 10:24 PM.
    You hammer the iron that lay on your anvil, instead of daydreaming of working silver.

With even 1 tooth gone, the blade will continue to get worse. they are not expensive so just get a new one.
    I use Olsens and always keep a spare, because for me, they ONLY break on Sundays!

Comment

i'd get a spare, and hang it on the wall, when it gives ya some trouble, change it.

the angle like ^ in the band saw works better for us too
      crazy redneck bluenoser

Comment

I cut angle on a teepee as well. Seems to work better probably because there are more teeth in the work. As far as missing teeth order a new blade but I usually run it untill it stops cutting straight or I just can't stand the noise and vibration. I try and keep a spare around but sometimes I forget to order a new one. I still have my Makita chopsaw as well great for when you're going to cut something odd or in the case of old bedframes you're not sure how hard something is.
        Doug Arthurs
        Kent Bridge Ontario

Comment

At princess auto the Morse 64.5X0.5X0.025 Bi-Metal 14 teeth are on sale NOW! 13.99 instead of 19.99! I will order two of them.

Happy cutting

TSLBogger
          Last edited by tslbogger; 05-08-2006, 07:23 AM. Reason: adding brand name

Comment

TPI on blades

I use the 18 or 24 tpi teeth, a little slower cutting but they seem to last.

A good quality blade will last 10 time longer then a cheap one. Todays metals are mad mostly from scrap, so you are cutting through engine blocks refrigerators and tin cans. You will hit "hard spots" from time to time.

HF blades will not last, cheap but a headache. I buy mine at Tractor Supply, can't remember the brand, but after 2 months of weekend use no missing teeth. $19.95 is more than worth the frustration.

Ka Chunk, then you cuss, open the cover, reseat the blade, bandage hands. (Repeat)
            Jeff Phillips
            Silver Moon Forge

HH 180
            Hammers and Anvil
            Coal forge.
            Other "stuff"

"Those who don't weld so good, become expert Grinders"
            "Measure to build, Hammer to fit, Paint to hide."

Comment

I have the same saw and I can assure you that once a tooth or two is gone, the blade will deteriorate quite rapidly....might as well replace it right then and there. Blades aren't that expensive versus the aggravation they can cause when not working properly.
              I've bought Morse blades from this fella. Very reasonable (free shipping w/3 blades) and quick delivery. They have held up well too even with the abuse I give em..
              http://stores.ebay.com/Mania-of-Metal-Tools

HH187
              Stars & Stripes BWE signed by Andy
              TA185TSW w/Miller Radiator 1
              DHC2000 & Victor O/A
              Parker Plasma 40

Comment

To rlarkin

Originally posted by rlarkin
                With even 1 tooth gone, the blade will continue to get worse. they are not expensive so just get a new one.
                I use Olsens and always keep a spare, because for me, they ONLY break on Sundays!
                I was tought that thats the only day they break,,,, Jack

Comment

My blade has teeth missing on it if a few places. It has continued to cut fine for lots since I knocked the teeth off. I just keep using them until it stops cutting good, or when the blade snaps. Like the others have said, keep a spare handy.

Comment

Get some flex back carbon steel blades for cutting stuff like chain and don't worry about stripping teeth. The carbon steel blades are cheap enough that you won't worry about messing them up, they'll get dull faster but they shouldn't strip teeth. They're on sale for $5.50 at Enco.

Comment

I plan to use my 14" abrasive chop saw for down and dirty cutting like chain or anything else that con't be clamped securely enough. That is why teeth broke, the chain moved during the cut and twisted the blade breaking teeth. I have cut chain on the cop saw many time with no ill effect.
                      You hammer the iron that lay on your anvil, instead of daydreaming of working silver.

Comment

The "rule of thumb" for saw bands is three teeth in contact with the work. That's why the "tepee" setup makes .125 angle cut easily. If you can't get three teeth in the work, take some of the weight off of the bow with hand pressure and let the blade in slowly - it'll work OK without grabbing.

Cutting anything on a bandsaw that can't be securely clamped in the vise will cost you in the long run! Either blades, your hand, or both! If you need to cut things like chain, use the saw in the vertical position and hand-feed it.

Hank
                        ...from the Gadget Garage
                        MM 210 w/3035, BWE
                        HH 210 w/DP 3035
                        TA185TSW
                        Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange
                        Avatar courtesy of Bob Sigmon...

Comment

Just a heads up. Go to Home Depot walk to the tool area... look on the end wall. You'll find saw blades select metal cutting 64.5" length 14 tpi. or 24 tpi pick up two $9.98 ea. Last blades you'll ever pay for... Rigid Brands Life Time Guarantee.
                          Just pop broken blade into new blades package and take back the next time your in town. Guarantee's printed right on front.
                          Last edited by FullMetal; 05-10-2006, 11:18 PM.

Comment

Lifetime guarantee

Am I reading this correctly Lifetime guarantee?

Is that against dulling, or just breaking?

Do they cut pretty well?
                            Jeff Phillips
                            Silver Moon Forge

HH 180
                            Hammers and Anvil
                            Coal forge.
                            Other "stuff"

"Those who don't weld so good, become expert Grinders"
                            "Measure to build, Hammer to fit, Paint to hide."

Comment

Hey I know what you mean... the first time I heard about Rigid blades I did not believe it.

It's a replacement guarantee... breakage... gum disease... premature death.
                              If I've gotten good service from a blade and worn it out I'll purchase a new blade.
                              But it's nice knowing if the blade snaps or craps out when you know it should not of done so.
                              You can take it back no hassle and get another one.

They cut as well as the $20 dollar blades I used to buy.

Comment

Working...
                              X